• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hash Marks on Brass

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Has anyone seen these types of marks on their brass after firing? Cleaned the heck out of the rifle and still did it. This is on brand new brass. Wondering what this could be from.

Attachments

• 55DAC5A6-29F5-429C-8B83-65FA7292BC7D.jpeg
    55DAC5A6-29F5-429C-8B83-65FA7292BC7D.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 123
Does it happen if you chamber and don’t fire?
I suspect it’s a burr in the chamber and when the case gets rotated during extraction it scratches.
Or it could be from when it’s getting flicked out the ejector pressure smacks it into a sharp lug if it’s always on the ejection port side.
A bore scope and some slow inspection would highlight the issues source

I know many will cringe when I say this ... but take a look at it with a bore scope. I tend to agree with @spife7980 ... has the look of burs in the chamber. I keep that from happening by honing all new chambers before firing them. DM me if you don't know what I'm talking about, or have never honed a chamber before ... and I'll walk you through what you need, and how to do it.

Does it happen if you chamber and don’t fire?
I suspect it’s a burr in the chamber and when the case gets rotated during extraction it scratches.
Or it could be from when it’s getting flicked out the ejector pressure smacks it into a sharp lug if it’s always on the ejection port side.
A bore scope and some slow inspection would highlight the issues source
It always fires and every round has the same exact marks. I’ll have to scoop it to see I guess.

Reactions: Dolomite
It’s when the brass is extracted and slaps against the action. Try to remove the sharp edges in the action. Remove the barrel and stick your finger inside the action and feel any sharp edges. Could be a burr or the action was cut so precise and not dehoned it leaves razor sharp edges.

Or what @spife7980 said. I went through the same issue, had my chamber inspected and honed but the marks still appeared. Found out it was sharp edges in the action. A little dehoning of the sharp edges inside the action and no more cut marks.

Won’t hurt the brass it will develop the cut marks all over the brass the more firings you get.

What action you using?

Last edited:
Reactions: RaptorAddict
It’s when the brass is extracted and slaps against the action. Try to remove the sharp edges in the action. Remove the barrel and stick your finger inside the action and feel any sharp edges. Could be a burr or the action was cut so precise and not dehoned it leaves razor sharp edges.

Or what @spife7980 said. I went through the same issue, had my chamber inspected and honed but the marks still appeared. Found out it was sharp edges in the action. A little dehoning of the sharp edges inside the action and no more cut marks.

Won’t hurt the brass it will develop the cut marks all over the brass the more firings you get.

What action you using?
It’s actually a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5cm. It’s been a crazy accurate beast going on 900 rounds now. This is the first I’ve seen this happen. Maybe stuck debris? Was gonna scope it or clean the bell out of the chamber with a bronze brush.

Reactions: Dolomite
It’s actually a Sako TRG 22 in 6.5cm. It’s been a crazy accurate beast going on 900 rounds now. This is the first I’ve seen this happen. Maybe stuck debris? Was gonna scope it or clean the bell out of the chamber with a bronze brush.
Ahh gotcha, sounds like a good idea if it just appeared after 900 rounds.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
If it's something sharp enough to cause this, it's probably something that won't "clean away". I recommend honing. HERE is the 6.5mm brush I use. Don't forget the oil ... both available on Amazon.

1710118354101.png
1710118299826.png

Mark your case with a sharpie and match the mark on the action. When you cycle the case you'll have a reference point to work from.

It's not likely something in thr chamber as it should show drag marks from ejection.

You'll likely see the case slapping the action is the culprit. You can extract one and keep pressure on the case with your finger to control ejection to verify.