• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hate to see this happen to an old War Bird

Seen that. That IS a shame! Hope they don't destroy it retrieving it. The salt water ain't gonna help either. Thankfully nobody got culled.

A friend of the wife was there at the beach when the war bird ditched. She had several good pictures posted on one of the social media platforms.

Reactions: 1J04
Guessing they will restore it.

They have had to deal with worse.

The engine wasnt turning when it went in but the engine is probably the easiest to deal with compared to airframe.

Just an enthusiasts guess.

Reactions: 1J04
Damn, that's going to take a LOT of WD-40! haha

Pilot did a great job....great job.

Wonder how close he was to skidding down the runway at Patrick AFB

Sooner or later, the SJW's are going to stop these warbirds flying. The Collings Collection B17 crash in CT was a serious blow to the vintage aviation industry. The Collings Foundation was doing a lot of bad stuff. There was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes (aka corners cut) for the flying and 'pay for play' rides because they raised so much money.

The B29 getting burned up in Greenland was another fucked up incident. Lucky noone died.

They are going to cut their own throats. Because there is a whole industry of scumbag lawyers who do NOTHING but pursue every single plane crash... and then sue every parts maker, equipment supplier, restoration shop... whatever. Anywhere they can scam a buck.

I fear that within 5 years, we'll never see another flying warbird.

Kill all the lawyers... Shakespeare had it right.

Sirhr

Last edited:
Sooner or later, the SJW's are going to stop these warbirds flying. The Collings Collection B17 crash in CT was a serious blow to the vintage aviation industry. The Collings Foundation was doing a lot of bad stuff. There was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes (aka corners cut) for the flying and 'pay for play' rides because they raised so much money.

The B29 getting burned up in Greenland was another fucked up incident. Lucky noone died.

They are going to cut their own throats. Because there is a whole industry of scumbag lawyers who do NOTHING but pursue every single plane crash... and then sue every parts maker, equipment supplier, restoration shop... whatever. Anywhere they can scam a buck.

I fear that within 5 years, we'll never see another flying warbird.

Kill all the lawyers... Shakespeare had it right.

Sirhr
They built a pretty good sized tank museum up in CT recently.

Yea.....considering all the hulks still rusting away in the Pacific that shit will buff out.

Reactions: Charger442
Difference between a pilot and an aviator. That dude is an aviator.

I watched a guy perform an emergency landing on either an F-86 or a MiG-17 (I can’t remember which) at Maxwell AFB back in 2006. One of his main landing gear didn’t come down, so he flew around burning off fuel while the rest of the air show went on. They eventually cleared him and he landed right on the edge of the runway. Once he lost enough airspeed his external fuel tank was used as a skid, more or less. Two wheels on the runway and the fuel thank just off the pavement. He rode it down to maybe 30 mph with absolutely zero drama and then at the very end of his deceleration the aircraft did a 180 when the tip of the fuel tank finally dug into the earth. He walked away and the aircraft was made flyable within a few months. I was in awe of his performance. The dude was a total stud.

That old warbird be back in the air soon, I’m sure. Glad he was safe. He handled it like a champ.

Did he lose total control of the plane not to bring it out further from the coast to avoid the people?

They built a pretty good sized tank museum up in CT recently.
Yes... they bought out a huge number of armored vehicles from the big collection in Cali. But they are in some big financial trouble. I think that when the lawsuits over the b17 crash are done... there won't be much left of them.

I 'think' they have the Constellation project too. Which is amazing. But I am not sure it will get finished.

May be all wrong on this. But that's the discussion in the armor and artillery community.

Sirhr

That p51 that went down not long ago too when the engine cutout. Love juan brown and the blancolirio show

Did he lose total control of the plane not to bring it out further from the coast to avoid the people?

Thinking he wanted it to be recoverable.

He didnt expect the swimmers to be tards.

If he had a flip and was upside down beyond the reach of people he would have little chance if he was stuck in the bird deep.

Word to the simple minded....If you see a plane crashing move aside.

Yes... they bought out a huge number of armored vehicles from the big collection in Cali. But they are in some big financial trouble. I think that when the lawsuits over the b17 crash are done... there won't be much left of them.

I 'think' they have the Constellation project too. Which is amazing. But I am not sure it will get finished.

May be all wrong on this. But that's the discussion in the armor and artillery community.

Sirhr

They built a fantastic museum in Hudson Mass I want to go see but covid has the hours all screwed up.

All part of the pilotbrief. He landed in the designated area. Patty gone further out the potential for him not surviving and making the craft unrecoverable goes up.

Awesome Landing, pilot walked away, no injuries on the ground and plane will likely be restored... But I don't think it will be flyable again. But, you never know. Those old warbirds are by far tougher than what we build today.

All part of the pilotbrief. He landed in the designated area. Patty gone further out the potential for him not surviving and making the craft unrecoverable goes up.

Awesome Landing, pilot walked away, no injuries on the ground and plane will likely be restored... But I don't think it will be flyable again. But, you never know. Those old warbirds are by far tougher than what we build today.
Anybody here ever buck any rivets and skin a plane like this. I spent 6 months under a twin engine that belly smacked a dirt strip once... its a night mare. I may volunteer to work on those birds if i get some spare time, ive read they allow that.

Collins TBM was at my airport local to my work.

The airport was running a special that weekend with two T-6 Texans giving "Original Fighter Plane" Flights.

The TBM was off the beaten path being worked on at an aviation repair facility, not on the main runway but visible.

Everyone was "Ohhing and Ahhing" over the Texans and I was like "Are you nuts?, Look whats over there!"

I drove over to the aviation repair facility and talked to the mechanic he let me walk up on the wing root and was amenable to me jumping in the cockpit. I didnt take the seat based on the get up I had on but I got a close up of the cockpit and realized dudes didnt have much room in there.

Collins was letting actual WWII TBM pilots sign the armor plate behind the seat and there were a few signatures.

Its a "Huge" airplane for the time and purpose.

Couple days later I was near the airport and I heard this hellacious noise. It was the TBM and the mechanics running it up to full power making a couple flybys at the airport.

I guess these things use a ridiculous amount of fuel and oil.

Fat and dumpy but somehow still a beautiful, muscular looking plane - sorry for the gayuendo but I am gay for these WWII airplanes.

Anybody here ever buck any rivets and skin a plane like this. I spent 6 months under a twin engine that belly smacked a dirt strip once... its a night mare. I may volunteer to work on those birds if i get some spare time, ive read they allow that.

Too bad it wasnt a "P-K Avenger"

"Grumman delivered a TBF-1, held together with sheet metal screws, so that the automotive engineers could disassemble it, a part at a time, and redesign the aircraft for automotive style production. This aircraft was known as the “P-K Avenger” (P-K = Parker-Kalon, manufacturer of sheet metal screws)."

If you ever did survey work "P-K Nails" are the standard for setting a point of reference.

Too bad it wasnt a "P-K Avenger"

"Grumman delivered a TBF-1, held together with sheet metal screws, so that the automotive engineers could disassemble it, a part at a time, and redesign the aircraft for automotive style production. This aircraft was known as the “P-K Avenger” (P-K = Parker-Kalon, manufacturer of sheet metal screws)."

If you ever did survey work "P-K Nails" are the standard for setting a point of reference.
Jesus... screws.... i dont know if thats better or worse.... how do you cleeko it together first? Fuck up the threads? I have done some surveying, we did use pk nails, also 10 penny nails and cotton gin spindles lol.

Reactions: pmclaine
I don't know what they're going to do it for that plane but I know that compared to Air Force oh, I think that's who it was, did it here in Galveston and it's some other airport in Houston.... restoring a bomber may be a B-17 don't remember.

Would love to be part of that restoration crew

This was from a few years ago, but awesome first person video, shows just how little time you have to react in one of these old birds. Guy does an amazing job.

Sirhr
I worked for an exhibit company that was negotiating with them to manufacture and install of all the graphics, landscapes, and supportive structures. We invested a shit ton of time and money on them only to find out they pulled the plug on what we thought was a done deal. Not to mention the local residents weren't too thrilled about their idea. I'm actually surprised it ever happened at all.

I worked for an exhibit company that was negotiating with them to manufacture and install of all the graphics, landscapes, and supportive structures. We invested a shit ton of time and money on them only to find out they pulled the plug on what we thought was a done deal. Not to mention the local residents weren't too thrilled about their idea. I'm actually surprised it ever happened at all.

"Local residents weren't too thrilled about their idea"

Fuckers in Stow MA kept trying to shut down Collins.

He used to do a great WWII Battle Re-enactment on Columbus, strike that, Indigenous People's Day.

Planes, artillery, tanks, soldiers, blanks galore.

If this is true....

18 years of work to get less than a years worth of use....

#2061 Report Post
Unread
Yesterday, 04:35 PM
old11b

I think I read that ( the Avenger) had flown for a year after spending 18 years being restored.

If this is true....

18 years of work to get less than a years worth of use....

#2061 Report Post
Unread
Yesterday, 04:35 PM
old11b

I think I read that ( the Avenger) had flown for a year after spending 18 years being restored.
That sounds about right on time frame.

I saw the plane go down.. sounded like engine trouble. He was less than 1/2 mile from the base landing strip.

Took these pics yesterday.
I hope they can get this awesome bird flying again.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 50
Was watching the TBM update yesterday, same guy that did the original interview and he doesn't think that it's going to be airworthy again and it's probably just going to be a static display.

Waiting for the FAA investigation