• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes have a $1000. What scope whould I get?

Re: have a $1000. What scope whould I get?

General question, general answer

US OPTICS ST-10

Buy a cheap tempory scope until the spring when the new Vortex Viper PST becomes available!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhedg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">General question, general answer

US OPTICS ST-10 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a cheap temporary scope until the spring when the new Vortex Viper PST becomes available! </div></div>

Couldn't have said it better myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a cheap tempory scope until the spring when the new Vortex Viper PST becomes available!</div></div>

I think there's a trend developing.....

Does the $1000 include rings and bases, its probably better to invest in a good base and rings as you will always have them. Were you thinking about a fixed or variable power, you could check out an IOR 16x, the Vortex Viper, Falcon Menace, Supersniper and the list goes on.

Fixed 10x is what I am looking for. What is the deal with Vortex Viper PST? I looked at a US optics st-10 it looks cool. but what confused me was all the add ons. it was crazy.

You can find decent used MK-4's for under that and still have spare jingle for rings or mount, or ammo

The ST-10 is a killer 10x scope and is a superb first scope.
If you do not have rings and a base(good stuff, about $300) then I would have to say go with Seekins, US Optics, Badger, or TPS for your stuff and get a lower cost scope to start off with such as a SWFA SS in 10 x 42.
Me, it is well worth the raman, and I did raman for my ST-10, my first scope. I got a solid deal on the mounting system from JBWII back when I got it, and ate more raman.
Next will be a SN-3 T-PAL with 3.2 - 22 x 58 for my GAP/AI but that is a long way off. Also waiting for a Scout Scope from USO as well...

Switchblade, you really know your stuff, thanks for help on my scope questions in the past- Is that a true likeness of you in that picture?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ST-10 is a killer 10x scope and is a superb first scope.
If you do not have rings and a base(good stuff, about $300) then I would have to say go with Seekins, US Optics, Badger, or TPS for your stuff and get a lower cost scope to start off with such as a SWFA SS in 10 x 42.
Me, it is well worth the raman, and I did raman for my ST-10, my first scope. I got a solid deal on the mounting system from JBWII back when I got it, and ate more raman.
Next will be a SN-3 T-PAL with 3.2 - 22 x 58 for my GAP/AI but that is a long way off. Also waiting for a Scout Scope from USO as well...</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what about that SS 10x42HD @ $799...???...

...that should leave some $$$ for rings mounts...
</div></div>

+1

Or you can get the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 for less than $200 and have tons of money left for rings/base.

I have been looking at ss 10x42HD. I went by SWFA the other day and was checking it out. It looked cool. they let me look through the comparable MK 4 scope and I think the SS looked brighter. But who is to say. I think I will end up getting a HD. I have the standard 10x42 SS and I like it.

The only prob with the US Optics is the wait. If you don't have gottahaveitnowitus, it seems like that would be the way to go. It sure sucks to buy something b/c you are in a hurry only to regret it later. I don't have experience with either scope, but I couldn't imaging not swinging the extra $200 for the USO. I'm sure the SS is a good scope, but I'm also sure that it isn't a USO. Read what people here have to say about them as a company. I would own a few if it weren't for my bad case of GHIN-itus.

If you can wait, get the ST-10.

USO is good to go.
wink.gif

wait to find a good deal on a used st10 and the same on a set of used seekin rings, you never know you might be able to find a scope and rings for less then that. Some are hurting really bad but being patient is when it pays off

Get a good used leupold that meets your needs and spend the rest of the money on quality rings and bases. I recomend Near Manf. or nightforce or tps.

Are bases that important? I see nightforce for 100+ $, and i see otheres made from the same steel for 55$ or even cheaper somtimes. Do you guys think it worth it?

You could also look at CStactical.com. That is where I bought my ST-10 from and they had them in stock ready to ship. Now, that was also about two years ago, but if you can deal with MOA/MOA then give them a call.

Josh

I would get the SS 10x HD and TPS rings and base all from SWFA. You will be around $970 for that setup and it will be impossible to find anything better for that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get the SS 10x HD and TPS rings and base all from SWFA. You will be around $970 for that setup and it will be impossible to find anything better for that price. </div></div>

+1