• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have a couple questions on future AR-15 build.

OlsenG_360

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
SD
I've decided my gun collection is incomplete. I need an AR-15 to break up the monotony of all my bolt guns. So I'd like to build up an AR-15 for varmints (p-dogs, yotes, chucks, etc).

I've decided on a Spikes stripped lower, Spikes M4 flattop upper, BCM auto bolt carrier group, and RRA lower parts kit. Still undecided on which free float handguard, stock, and barrel. The barrel is where my questions are.

Does it make a difference if the barrel is pre-ban or not?

Is there going to be an accuracy difference in a barrel chambered in 5.56 vs .223? It will only be fed handloads so I'm guessing not but figured I'd ask anyway.

I'd like either an 18" or 20" heavy contour barrel. Will be shooting bullets from the 50 gr. V-max to the 75 gr. A-max (1 in 8" twist should work...yes?). 24" is not really what I'm looking for at this time, I will be carrying this rifle for some extended distances when P-dog hunting. The barrels I'm currently looking at have rifle-length gas systems, I trust this will be alright?

These are the barrels I've been contemplating. I don't have any kind of love for DPMS, they just have what I believe I'm looking for at this point.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=431749

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=720858

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=550750

edit: this rifle will be scoped, so if the barrel comes with a front sight, it'll be replaced with a gas block.

Re: Have a couple questions on future AR-15 build.

Check out Noveske barrels. I use them on all of my builds and they are very accurate.

I do have a DPMS Mini-SASS with the pretty much the first barrel you have listed - 18" - 1/8 twist and it is a fine shooter. But, if I were going to build from scratch I would look else where...such as
White Oak Armament
Pac Nor
Kreiger
Noveske
Or just get a Larue Stealth Upper and be done with it or a full Noveske Upper.

You will find they are just better barrels and are going to be more accurate. When my SASS barrel goes south I will replace it with one that I have listed above. IMHO of course.

Look at these options from Superior barrels.. http://www.superiorbarrels.com/ The hard blue looks to be pretty awesome. Read about all the testing theyve done.

I bought the 18" SPR but havent yet completed the build so I dont have an accuracy report.. It should be good though, its a Douglas barrel contour'd by Compass Lake Enginering.

Make sure and get a headspaced bolt too, then no worries put it together and shoot it.

Thanks for the barrel recommendations guys, keep em coming.

anyone have experience with Lothar Walther barrels? from what i've read it seems like they have a solid reputation for accuracy.

also, since SD tends to have some really low temps every winter, should I avoid getting a stainless steel barrel or should I not be concerned? I noticed some of the barrel makers have disclaimers not to use SS barrels under 0* Fahrenheit.

+1 on the higher end barrel recommendations. While most of your standard barrels (DPMS, etc) are going to be fine, the safest bet in terms of ending up with a tackdriver is gonna be doing with a White Oak, Kreiger, Noveske, etc. Or the Mk12 barrels from Centurion or other places you can find on here.

You're not really going to go wrong with any of those high-end barrels and if you're building an upper from scratch, might as well squirrel away another hundred or two hundred bucks and use the sweet barrel. Doesn't really make that much sense to build a gun from parts and use an off-the-rack barrel

Sabre Defense makes a heck of a SS barrel for the money, $325, check Rainier Arms, 1/8 mid-gas medium contour fluted 18 or 20", but I wouldn't want anything heavier in 5.56mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have experience with Lothar Walther barrels? from what i've read it seems like they have a solid reputation for accuracy.

also, since SD tends to have some really low temps every winter, should I avoid getting a stainless steel barrel or should I not be concerned? I noticed some of the barrel makers have disclaimers not to use SS barrels under 0* Fahrenheit. </div></div>
I have both stainless and chrome moly and used them both in -12 weather with no issues.

The accuracy you get will be determined more by factors other than the chamber type.

On specs, the official SAAMI position is:

"Chambers for military rifles have a different throat configuration than chambers for sporting firearms which, together with the full metal jacket of the military projectile, may account for the higher pressures which result when military ammunition is fired in a sporting chamber. SAAMI recommends that a firearm be fired only with the cartridge for which it is specifically chambered by the manufacturer."

Meaning what? Is the .223 Remington the same as the 5.56x45? Yes, and no.

The external cartridge dimensions are the same, but the .223 Remington is built to SAAMI specs, rated to 50,000 CUP, and has a shorter throat. The 5.56x45 is built to NATO specs, rated to 60,000 CUP, and has a longer throat optimized for long bullets. So, if you shoot hot 5.56x45 ammo in short-throated SAAMI-spec chambers you can encounter pressure issues.

But there are .223 Remington match chambers, like the Wylde chamber, that have a long throat. Wylde chambers shoot almost everything very well.

If you get a factory gun you get the chamber you get, and if you get a Rock River you will probably get a Wylde chamber.

More discussion here: http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

I have a 20 inch bushmaster v-match with a 1-9 twist free float tube and a 11 degree target crown I dont see the need for a flash hider or bayonet lug on a hunting rifle or at least I have yet to see groundhogs make a human wave charge. If I was making a new build I would go with a wylde chamber which will let you shoot a longer heavier bullet at a lower pressure. Also I think 1-8 twist should be good to go and an 18-20 inch barrel should be great. good luck with your build and like everybody else says check out white oak , krieger, compass lake, or lothar barrels.

Thanks for the responses guys, this is good info. AR15.com's search function is a joke and it seems nobody there cares if their rifle shoots better than 1.5-3moa.

I believe I may go with a White Oak Armamant 18" SPR match barrel or one of their 18 or 20" varmint barrels. Another one I'm considering is the Lothar Walther 20" custom heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses guys, this is good info. AR15.com's search function is a joke and it seems nobody there cares if their rifle shoots better than 1.5-3moa.

I believe I may go with a White Oak Armamant 18" SPR match barrel or one of their 18 or 20" varmint barrels. Another one I'm considering is the Lothar Walther 20" custom heavy. </div></div>
I looked into the Lothar Walther when doing my last build and well the end result was not as good as the others that have been mentioned. For the price I would go with the White Oak.

Noveske would be my choice, and following a close second would be Lothar Walther. As for a hand guard, I love my midwest industries and yhm free float one piece rails. I've had Daniel Defense, Troy Ind...but the MI and YHM just beats them hands down for the money. For the stock...no doubt the magpul PRS!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saber nuf said </div></div>

Can you give any reasons why I should pick Sabre? I haven't heard any reviews on their barrels, and at $200 more than WOA for similar specs I'd like to know if it's worth it.

I would pick the WOA over the SD barrel even if it cost $100 more. I have had a very good experience with my WOA SPR barrel.

Heres a little 30rd 300 yard group. The reason I kept pulling low left was because I was getting nervous being spotted by a member of the local SWAT.
grin.gif

TgtGfx.jpg

She has a Falcon 4-14x44 on her now.
DSCN0113.jpg

go Gators
wink.gif

Your specs are so close to a standard rifle-length AR, that I'd buy a factory setup from one of the reputable shops.

1:8 is perfect for the Hornady 75gr, probably want a 1:7.7 or better for the 80 grain and higher.

Go with a Wylde Chamber: a match chamber that shoots NATO or 223

Go with a 20" barrel. If you get too heavy of a contour, you will need to add weight to the butt stock to make it feel balanced.

Building a gun will be fun. Or you could save yourself the trouble and just get one of these awesome uppers at a killer prices: http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/complete_uppers.htm

I am using a DPMS 16" barrel that was made by Mike Rock....Needless to say my barrel is very accurate at 100 yards...I get a 3/4 MOA grouping that is one hole...Surprised the heck out of me....Read the post on barrel break in and be advised on what was said on this post on this site....I went with the CMMG lower and if you live in a state like Arizona that if the lower is made in this state, it is exempt from federal law~! If your state does not have this, than move here to Arizona and become free~! Concealed carry with out permits, also~!
Either-way, Mike Rock barrels Rock...And DPMS uses both Wilson, as well as Mike Rock....Good luck on that future build...Mine I built for under $700.00 bucks last year...
Snapshot_20100610.jpg