• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have a Internet Protection question

oldgrayone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
South East Georgia
Just bought the wife a new computer and I am looking for some input on what is a good protection software to install. I have heard there are very good free anti virus, spyware, firewall etc. I have norton on my business lap tops but it is expensive and not so good from what I hear but they do not get on the internet very often.

If free is not the way to go I will purchase if needed. Just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Re: Have a Internet Protection question

Avast and Malwarebytes, both free.

I recently switched from NAV to Avast and have been happy so far!

Microsoft Security Essentials is the recommendation my programmer brother gave me, and it's free.

Install Microsoft Security Essentials and WinPatrol.
MSE will get most of it and WinPatrol is a neat little circuit breaker program that alerts you as to any new startup entries and gives you the option to allow them or not.

Viruses and Malware must restart themselves when the computer restarts, so this program is very effective.

More information here
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1891860#Post1891860

A definite vote here for AVG. We've used Avast, but that sure slowed our systems down. Went back to AVG (free) and haven't looked back since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently switched from NAV to Avast and have been happy so far! </div></div>

Likewise! I've had no problems with it slowing down the system either. In fact it's about 10 times faster than Norton/Symantec without being a resource hog.

Switch to a Linux operating system.
cool.gif

Microsoft is a joke.

Microsoft Security Essentials, scan/update on a regular basis, and Malwarebytes same as MSE. Make sure Real Time Protection is enabled in MSE and you should be good to go. And don't think scanning once or twice a month is "ok" set it to scan everyday at a certain time. Both programs are free, updated very frequently and don't eat up resources.

Kelly

I typically suggest that people run MS Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials), and install some type of additional anti-malware program such as MalwareBytes, and/or Spybot S&D. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are free so you're not really hurting yourself by having them installed.

It's important to note that some malware/trojans make it very difficult to install anti-malware software after you've been infected by blocking access to websites, killing processes, etc. Your best bet is to be proactive and get things setup ASAP.

We were using AVG quite a bit but they recently ran an update that would brick your pc (if you weren't savvy enough to know how to find and apply the fix). That and their latest version sure is heavy and makes the pc a lot slower.

We changed to the Microsoft Security Essentials. Much better now. As much as I hate to point anyone to Microsoft, their antivirus program has been pretty good so far.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and WinPatrol down loaded and running. I will get Malwarebytes installed today also.