• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Have a question on Berger bullets for 6mm Ackley

SouthPawShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2010
Kansas
Just got my first 6mm and it is an Ackley it has a Douglas 1-10 twist, fluted standard contour 24 inch barrel. My issue is I want to try some Bergers and was going to try some
6mm 88 Grain Match Varmint High BC FB which call for 1-10 twist barrel for coyotes and fire forming then some 6mm 95 Grain Match Hunting VLD which call for 1-9 twist in my Ackley loads for Deer.

Do you think with a 24" barrel I can stabilize a 95gr in an Ackley load through a 1-10? Again this bullet calls for a 1-9 twist barrel but this is an Ackley load.

Re: Have a question on Berger bullets for 6mm Ackley

I have a Cooper M22 in 6mm Remington which is also a 10 twist and have used both the Berger 88s and the 95 VLDs. No problem stabilizing either. In fact, they are the two most accurate bullets I have found for this rifle.

I've never been happy with 95's out of my 24" 10 twist 243 Ackley. 85 to 90 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'm in the process of rebarreling with a 8 twist to turn 95 and 105's. Your results may vary. H414, R19, and H4831sc have been good to me.

You should only need a 9 twist for the 105's. Especially in an ackley.

OP. The only way to really know is to buy a box of the 95's and find out. It "should" stabilize them @ ackley velocities.

I can stabilize the 95 gr. Berger in one of my 1-10" 6mm rifles. It won't stabilize in the other four. None of them will stabilize a Sierra 95 gr. SMK. The Berger is longer though. Go figure.

What this is telling me is it's right on the edge of stability. If you want to go long range with it, there is where you will have problems. Once it enters the transonic stage it will quite possibly go radically unstable and never recover.

I'd sure like to see 1-9" become a standard twist for any 6mm rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SouthPawShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What powder you using if I may ask?</div></div>

Best results have been with RL19 and IMR-4350. RL17 also worked pretty well.

Well I got some 87 Berger VLD's to try out. and I am going to try some 75gr. V-Max also. I will post the results.

87 gr VMax's. These bullets were made for 10 twist bbls. I've never seen a 6 mm (any variation) 10 twist that they wouldn't shoot in.