• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Have you ever used a weighted vest?

TheNewRoman

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2012
I remember I use to train with a 40 pound weighted vest when i trained for the marine corps, Only could run 2 miles with it before it felt all the bones in my legs were going to explode. As for pull ups and push ups, made them so much more difficult yet so much better.
But in the end my pace well running increased a lot ass well as distance and the number of pullups I could do when from barely 2 to 20. Crunches on the other head it didn't help me much because well It's next to impossible without someone or something holding you feet down.

So I wonder how many of you have trained using weighted vests, and if you did how much did it help you out.

Re: Have you ever used a weighted vest?

We use a 40lb vest to run stairs and do pullups here at the fire station. We run up 11 stories and back down in sets of 3, I got to a point where my time stayed about the same so I started running with the vest and it wasn't long before I was beating my best times by 2 min. Before I started useing the vest I could do 16-18 pullups, after 2 months of the 40lb vest I was do 24-26. We were training for the Spartan Race in May north of Austin Texas and I must say it made all the difference.

I started using mine a little over 2 months ago. I went from BARELY doing 3-4 pull ups with just body weight...to doing 20 in about 6 weeks.
Now I'm doing 12-15 WITH the 20 lb vest.

Used it for push ups too. At the start, I was doing 15-18 regular. Now I'm pumping out 50 strait or about 35-40 WITH the vest.

I don't run distance with it because I've got two knees that are completely shot...but I use it to sprint hills and stairs.

I have an old school Gold Gym one that holds twenty of those 1 lb blocks.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten something like the "Strength" weight vest(20 lbs) and shorts (10 lbs) suit. Something that would be a bit more tight and form fitting so it doesn't bounce around. That would make a HUGE difference when running.

These 100 lb vests are just nuts

Ya my biggest complaint with vests are they move when running, which can make your shoulder feel like they are broken depending on the vest and time using it.
personally if i had the skill and money knew someone with the skill i'd have a vest made to fit me right and use lead bars coated with a plastic layer or something else to prevent problems. That way i could have a very thin and compact vest thus wear it all day long, without looking like a suicide bomber.

They work well but you have to be careful about running in them. If you are going to be doing some kind of distance, it is an extreme amount of dead weight on anything from hips down. They can and will cause problems to your knees and lower back if you are not careful. When I use them, I run stands. If for running, I take shorter strides and slow down some and stay on the balls of my feet. If you heel strike, you will feel it, whether it be now or later. As someone earlier stated, one of the best things you can do is get one that fits tight and doesn't move around all over the place on you while you are moving. Mine has velcro closures that snug up very well. It is a pretty old vest though and I have not seen one around in awhile. They are incredibly good for increasing upper body strength with pull ups and push ups and will do equally as well on the lower body. You just have to be careful with them when running.

Using it for extra resistance on static exercises (pull-ups, dips, pushups), fine. Using it for impact exercises (running) you are asking for knee trouble.

I like them for plyometric exercises as well. Jumping rope with one on will wear you out quick and is a great way to hit your calves.

Have I ever used a weighted vest? Yes...it's called body armor with both SAPI plates inside.
smirk.gif

Now "Have I ever used a weighted vest on purpose?", that would be the question to ask...
grin.gif

Used 40# in my 60# vest to get ready for SWAT try-outs. Passed with flying colors! Too bad it didn't help for the oral interview!
;-)

I use one while walking I use mine rather than a ruck just for the fact it sits closer to the body. I do not run in one anymore it much stress on the knees but I like training with one

Wearing a 52lb vest and completing a half hour physical test known as the Bonefide Ocuupational Requirement is the first step into qualifying for selection week for our Tactical Unit. No pass then no chance of being short-listed for the selection process.

Running with a 40lb ruck is pretty common with the guys, but its more of a trot as described above. A weight forward on the balls of your feet trot. The vest will also be used alot during interval training on the hills near our office.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarinePMI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have I ever used a weighted vest? Yes...it's called body armor with both SAPI plates inside.
smirk.gif

Now "Have I ever used a weighted vest on purpose?", that would be the question to ask...
grin.gif
</div></div>

x2