• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have You Gotten More Conservative Or Liberal As You've Grown Older?

Maser

Trump 2024
Minuteman
  • May 17, 2006
    /pol/
    www.youtube.com
    We all know the old saying of "if you're young and not Liberal you have no heart, but if you're old and not Conservative you have no brains", but I was curious where everyone stands on that. Have you gotten more Conservative or Liberal as you've grown older? For me I've only gotten more Liberal on one thing and that is drug legalization. Everything else I have gotten more Conservative.

Always had been a conservative, from before I even knew what political terms meant. From my first time as a young boy living in Heilongjiang, North China, carrying a couple of bags of vegetables from a market, crossing a large open field as a rare winter thunderstorm with a squall line as black as night and prickling with lightning was rapidly approaching and overtaking me. I had a sense of responsibility that I must not only try to get home before the storm struck, but that people are at home counting on me bringing these cabbages and turnips in time for preparation of the Lunar New Year feast and I must not delay or lose my precious cargo...

I’ve become more Conservative.
    I used to discuss things with liberals.
    Now I realize that it’s wasted effort.
    I have lost all patience with them on any level.
    So now I avoid them at every opportunity.

I've gone both ways depending on the issue. I've gone from prohibition to "it's none of the government's business" on drugs. There is this thing that has happened though, where we've had to realize that you have to fight for positions you may not actually care that much about, because you realize that if they get that foothold, it will lead to something more. I started off as opposed to gay marriage as any human could be, to basically neutral, kind of a live and let live thing. I remember people saying that if it ever happened, they would try to legalize every kind of perversion one could imagine. I thought that was alarmist thought, turns out that it wasn't. We've gone so far downhill since that happened. Now I understand why you have to fight the small fights too.

A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head.
    —Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881)
    By the by, variations of this quote ^^ have been attributed to many, many notable people over a 150 year or more of history. Apparently, many who are far more intelligent than I have seen the wisdom and it and uttered versions of it themselves.

The term “Liberal” is misunderstood.

I AM A CLASSICAL LIBERAL. What you say? what is this idiot doing on a gun website!! Read this definition of what true “classical” political liberals stood for in the 18th through the early 20th century:

Liberalism is an ideology developed by political thinkers in the 18th century and associated with the American and French Revolutions.
    It developed in opposition to control of government and society by aristocracy, absolute monarchy and the church. Its fundamentals are:-
    – People are rational individuals and able to make decisions for themselves in normal circumstance.
    – People should have freedom to take their own decisions without control by government.
    – As well as freedoms such as free speech or freedom to decide whether to follow a religion people should be free to have property and use it as they wish.
    – There is a general belief that a free market without government control is the most effective in creating wealth.
    – Government may have a limited role in areas such as national defence that the individual cannot do or in preventing people doing severe harm to others by criminal activity.
    – There is a general belief that society is capable of continuous progress if liberalism is held to.

This from Denish D’Souza:
    “After World War II there was a very important progressive cover-up project that went on in America. The basic idea was to camouflage the close associations of the political left with fascism and Nazism; and to move fascism and Nazism from the left — where they were always understood to be — into the right wing column. This was actually one of the most cunning sleights of hand ever performed in American history.”

THIS WAS ONE OF THE KEY FRAUDS OF OUR LIFETIME: THE LEFT, MARXISTS, COMMUNISTS, PROGRESSIVES - whatever you want to call them - were able to associate conservatives and the “political right” with fascism and at the same time take possession of the term “liberal“ as their own label with the help of a corrupt media and a GOP that stood idly by and cowardly accepting

I really havent changed that much.

I was always a centrist, neither left nor right, Consider every aspect of a situation before making a choice. As the liberals go more absurdly to the left, by standing still, I've gotten pushed to the right.

And to use a Herbert H. Humphrey phrase, "Let me say this about that."...Fuck Joe Biden.

The term “Liberal” is misunderstood.

I AM A CLASSICAL LIBERAL. What you say? what is this idiot doing on a gun website!! Read this definition of what true “classical” political liberals stood for in the 18th through the early 20th century:

Liberalism is an ideology developed by political thinkers in the 18th century and associated with the American and French Revolutions.
    It developed in opposition to control of government and society by aristocracy, absolute monarchy and the church. Its fundamentals are:-
    – People are rational individuals and able to make decisions for themselves in normal circumstance.
    – People should have freedom to take their own decisions without control by government.
    – As well as freedoms such as free speech or freedom to decide whether to follow a religion people should be free to have property and use it as they wish.
    – There is a general belief that a free market without government control is the most effective in creating wealth.
    – Government may have a limited role in areas such as national defence that the individual cannot do or in preventing people doing severe harm to others by criminal activity.
    – There is a general belief that society is capable of continuous progress if liberalism is held to.

This from Denish D’Souza:
    “After World War II there was a very important progressive cover-up project that went on in America. The basic idea was to camouflage the close associations of the political left with fascism and Nazism; and to move fascism and Nazism from the left — where they were always understood to be — into the right wing column. This was actually one of the most cunning sleights of hand ever performed in American history.”

THIS WAS ONE OF THE KEY FRAUDS OF OUR LIFETIME: THE LEFT, MARXISTS, COMMUNISTS, PROGRESSIVES - whatever you want to call them - were able to associate conservatives and the “political right” with fascism and at the same time take possession of the term “liberal“ as their own label with the help of a corrupt media and a GOP that stood idly by and cowardly accepting

The Founders of the USA were all Classical Liberals. Even the word itself has been thoroughly perverted by the left. The commies and terrorist supporting shitstains today are leftists through and through. Statists is the most accurate term. Parasites too, because they are hijacking existing infrastructures, drawing nutrients from them, and leaving these infrastructures rotten and diseased. Like what the Bible says about Satan. Satan cannot and does not create. He only mimics in order to gain entry into vulnerable circles, and then preys on and destroys. Guess what else does that too? Cancer cells and viruses.

The Founders of the USA were all Classical Liberals. Even the word itself has been thoroughly perverted by the left. The commies and terrorist supporting shitstains today are leftists through and through. Statists is the most accurate term. Parasites too, because they are hijacking existing infrastructures, drawing nutrients from them, and leaving these infrastructures rotten and diseased. Like what the Bible says about Satan. Satan cannot and does not create. He only mimics in order to gain entry into vulnerable circles, and then preys on and destroys. Guess what else does that too? Cancer cells and viruses.

Yup, our Founding Fathers were in fact Liberals and even the Constitution itself is a Liberal document. Nowadays, true or "classic" Liberals fall into the category of Libertarians.

Yup, our Founding Fathers were in fact Liberals and even the Constitution itself is a Liberal document. Nowadays, true or "classic" Liberals fall into the category of Libertarians.
    I agree; the classical liberal in that sense was a libertarian in the true sense of the definition. Libertarian (definition) has been so twisted and watered down to fit the liberals agenda today, that it has no where's near the conservative bent that it orginally had.

B9C7E061-369E-4569-9A84-05F8BDC668F5.jpeg

My mother was conservative. I was standing in line with her when I was 16 to watch her vote and she voted for Reagan (1980.)

I drifted around a few years not paying much attention to politics. Until I got older and realized that more and more of my money was going to taxes.

I felt the conservatives danced a little too close to some of the firebrand preachers but it turns out that I was just ignorant. Which is a condition that can be cured.

So, I have become more conservative as time goes by. But I have problems with both dems and republicans on healthcare. Dems suck at it because they are incapable of adding 1 and 1 and having it equal two and I am not exaggerating.

Republicans had the super majority of WH, Senate, House, and prevailing winds on the SCOTUS. And did zero about helping people fund their own healthcare, like HSAs without the stupid govt limits. Great, they made a sound byte against Obama. Whoop tee do! It doesn't fix anything. Morons, the lot of them.

Reactions: jrassy
    Tough to be a 70’s - 80’s - 90’s liberal in these days. Much of today’s Republican party is more liberal than the Democrats dreamed of being in those years. Starting with the end of Bill Clinton’s last term, the democrats have turned into something of a horned devil, bent on the destruction of life as we know it. Even the most ardent liberal of the late 80’s, if he/she is true to their beliefs could never follow today’s woke crowd.

Look at some of the most liberal thoughts. An example. Being a Transgender meant doing one’s best to pass un-noticed. Today, its flaunted like a badge of courage, forced on others, making themselves a clown show to anyone with serious thoughts. Other liberal ideas also defy logic.

yet, what shocks me is how much the coasties both east and west (not to be confused with the United States Coast Guard) and in a few cases like Chicago and the front range of Colorado) strongly follow this trend. Today’s liberal is doing their best to change what is good to bad and what is bad to good. Its just plain crazy.

So, much of liberal thought permeated my beliefs. Equal treatment for all races, an affordable health insurance (for both the insured and the insurers) and a balanced budget. Still I strongly classified myself as conservative. Friends always reminded me that i was (a conservative) So now, Please, Please don’t confuse me with any of those crazy shit for brain liberals that freely roan the planet and seem to congregate in large cities of the United States of America.

What is so funny yet so wrong has always been the liberal belief that if one does not buy in 100% with each and every liberal belief, one is not a liberal. This was reinforced by professors who I knew when I was earning my bachelors degree after returning from Vietnam. Same today, either you are a shit for brain, beyond crazy liberal, strongly supporting each and every belief of the batshit crazy liberals, you are not one of them. And, I suppose, I never have been and never will be.

I don’t think I’ve changed dramatically over the years, but the parties keeps sliding, moving the goalposts, to the point on any given day I get called both parties. Frankly I think the government is involved in entirely too much shit that isn’t it’s business, long and short of it.

Never understood why other countries committed genocide, when you become older and understand the reason your country is so fucked up because god put so many assholes in one place you can understand those other countries what drove them to that tipping point.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    We all know the old saying of "if you're young and not Liberal you have no heart, but if you're old and not Conservative you have no brains", but I was curious where everyone stands on that. Have you gotten more Conservative or Liberal as you've grown older? For me I've only gotten more Liberal on one thing and that is drug legalization. Everything else I have gotten more Conservative.
    Is it possible that you maybe stayed the same and the shitlibs have gone completely moonbat, degenerate, reprobate crazy? Making it seem as though you became more conservative?

Is it possible that you maybe stayed the same and the shitlibs have gone completely moonbat, degenerate, reprobate crazy? Making it seem as though you became more conservative?

I've lived in CA my whole life, but I've never lived in a blue city. My hometown was a very red town. When I was in Jr. High I called myself a Democrat/Liberal to piss off the adults. High School I called myself a neo-Republican to piss off the few Liberals in school. I didn't take my political stance serious until I was 19 and decided Libertarianism fit who I am. But growing up I was a really reckless kid who was always in and out of trouble with the law and in a gang. I didn't have faith in anything until my first son was born when I was 16 and things quickly started changing. Not only did my faith in God grow, but also my desire for a traditional Christian family and lifestyle. I could go on and on, but to answer your question, I feel it was just me growing older and looking at things through mature eyes.

The Overton Window is what has shifted. A disgraced comedian and actor I used to watch is Owen Benjamin. He had pointed out that he grew up liberal, as in the government being involved in everything. In fact, his piano teacher was a transgender person but there was no big deal, no parade marches, and his/her private life had nothing to do with playing piano.

Owen's beliefs did not change. The world moved left and he was now far right without taking a single step.

He spoke against a hollywood producer who was proud to announce his 3 year old kid was transgender and he was putting him on puberty blockers, which is child abuse. So, he lost gigs, his rep agency, CAA, dropped him. It got down to him financing his own tours. Things have spiraled out for him in certain ways I will not get into.

Suffice it to say that you can maintain centrist views and wake up tomorrow to find yourself labeled everything bad thing in the book.

Such as happened to Milo Yiannopolous. He was lead tech editor for Breitbart News. He was called a homophobic anti-semite racist. Which is ironic because he is gay, married to a black guy, raised catholic but his mother is jewish.

As my mother would say, "Sometimes I think the whole world is crazy except for me and thee."

George was definitely R I G H T.

George Washington, bemoaned and warned against the forming of political parties. Now we have two different groups who hate each other to the point that nothing can get done but worthless efforts to impeach the president when the party who will try him is in control of the court.

Time to let those big cities run themselves and let the rest of the country be the country. (To be clear, let the rest of the Nation, be the Nation).

Started conservative, got drunk and as always--slowly drifting right.

The real thing that has changed is my faith in fellow man. at age 20, people were inherently bad but could work to overcome it.
    Now: I don't trust anyone. To the point where I'm anti-democracy/anti-republic. Govt should exist to keep people away from me.

Its not really logical, but neither are feelings.

And that is not a bulldozer and steel plate in my garage.