• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Havent been in the long range game for a few years

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
I haven't shot long range in quite awhile the last couple years I've really been focusing on IDPA and dicking around with my carbines. I want to start doing tac rifle matches again and will be getting a M40A1 build soon. It has no glass right now so I'm looking for something to top it off with. Last precision rifle I had was about 3 years ago and it was topped with a leupold mk4 m1 and it served me well and I never had ANY issues with the scope. From my understanding is leupolds quality control is a big issue these days.

I'm looking for a scope to top this rifle now. I was excited at first at finding a slightly used mk4 since it seems you can find them around 800 bucks. With all that has been going on lately with leupy I don't know if I want to take the plunge. I even entertained the idea of looking for a used nxs but it seems like everything in the range of 1200 or so used does not have features that makes it 400-500 dollars more appealing to a leupy being as the ones I see in that range are SFP,MIL/MOA, No zero stop. Any suggestions? I would like to keep it under 1200 I simply cant afford a new NXS,S&B or Premier.

Re: Havent been in the long range game for a few years

Check out the weaver tactical 3-15. FFp mil/mil locking turrets. Glass is good. All for about $750. Ran one on my 22 for awhile good optic for the money

In that price range the above mentioned Weaver or a Vortex Viper PST would be my suggestions. Another option would be a used SS 5-20. The Vortex Viper PST are offered in MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL and both SFP and FFP. The weaver is getting a lot of good press and is the new player in this price range offering FFP mil/mil. I have never used one myself.

+1 Vortex PST. I have one and love it. Plus the best CS in the industry. No questions asked? Fixed of new whatever it takes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the weaver tactical 3-15. FFp mil/mil locking turrets. Glass is good. All for about $750. Ran one on my 22 for awhile good optic for the money </div></div>

+1, swfa has them for $699, I have one on my Savage 300WSM and it shoots lights out, I love this scope and will definitely get another.

I'd go with the PST as well. I haven't handled or seen through the weaver so I can't discredit it. I have 2 PSTs FFP MOA and they have been outstanding. My only regret is that I didn't go with the mil/mil because it they didn't have them in inventory when i picked them up. After learning the mil/mil system its hard to go back to MOA. But back to the question PST all the way.