• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Having a problem shooting with both eyes open

8334tactical

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2017
I’m having a problem shooting with both of my eyes open. It doesn’t matter where i have the diopter or parallax settings or what magnification the scope is set on. I’m seeing double vision. I have my eyes tested every 2 years (December 2016) and have 20/20 vision. The only way i can get a clear image is canting the rear scope cap to block my left eye. The scope I’m using is a athlon Argos btr 6x24x50 ffp. Could this just be me, or maybe because it’s a lower quality scope? Am i missing something? Any explanation or something to try would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you might be left eye dominate. Does it do the same when you swap what side your on?

If blocking the left eye improves the vision, he would be right eye dominant, correct? Sounds to me like you need to adjust your position and eye relief a bit.

It’s you. Just keep working on it. Takes awhile to keep both open and focused if you’ve never done it before. At least took me awhile when I was a kid

Place some clear cellophane tape over the left lens of your shooting glasses. This allows light into the eye but no focus on that eye. Your brain will take care of the rest in short order. It may take more than one layer but it works. Used that system for years when I shot a. lot of trap.

Practice more.

I'm in process of teaching myself to shoot non-dominant eye for weak side shooting, but with both eyes open. I started out where I couldn't get my mind to focus on the image when shooting with my left eye unless I closed my right eye. I've been able to move towards where I can "flip the switch" by just closing my right eye for a second allowing my mind to focus on the reticle image, then I can open back up my right eye and stay focused in the scope. I feel like I'm getting close to the point where I won't even need to close my right eye anymore and can go strong side eye or weak side eye at will with both eyes open.

I’m left eye dominant and it’s a challenge.

I find ind it helps if the scope image is bright. Then I can concentrate on the reticle and image but I still have a second image from my right eye. I plan to get cheap glasses with clip on sunglasses conversion with the dark tinted over-lens removed. I think this will Work for me.

I'm left eye dominant but shoot both eyes open on pretty much all my rifles. I usually have scope caps go off to block my left eye but sometimes that's not applicable. Just takes practice, lots and lots of practice.

If you're right eye dominant i'm not sure why it would be so hard though. For instance if i switch to shooting weak side being that i'm left eye dominant i basically need no cover over my right to shoot both eyes open.

Just shut your left eye. Nothing says you have to have both eyes open.

I personally dont see any issue with closing an eye when shooting long range. I understand the benefit of both eyes open when using carbines for the extra FOV thats necessary for CQB but at long range i dont see the benefit.

It all about fatigue and whether or not you are behind the scope long enough to experience it. It can be a real pain in the ass lol.

Look through that rifle or spotting scope long enough to get fatigue and then switch to both open to get fatigue. Pretty quick your brain will flip a switch so you can do both. Of course shoot the way is most accurate in the moment. Working with a spotting scope on high magnification and work your way down to lower is good exercise. Getting the brain trained with a rifle scope is more time consuming. Like seeing double and knowing which image is true. Heck, just look at your finger at arms length and focus on the wall and then the finger. Try switching back and forth as fast as you can until fatigue sets in. What ever you do don't mistake the bottle of ear drops for eye drops. You don't want to add unnecessary fatigue to already bad situation.

Last edited by a moderator: