• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Having issues at 100Y

cubewarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Dallas, TX
Rimfire experts-- need some help.

Shooting three different types of the Eley (EPS, Club, and Target Rifle) and WalMart Federals, I could barely stay consistent within 1.5"--elevation and windage. Wind was running 5-8 mph and pushing the bullet around (sometimes 3-4")--I understand that part... But, I experienced 1.5" elevation differences with the best shooting lot of .22LR I fired (Club Xtra). Worst (Federals) was running 6" elevation difference. I train with 1/2" dots at 100Y with my .308, and believe my fundamentals are ok. This rifle is set up almost identically to my primary .308, and I'm very comfortable with the platform.

Rifle is a CMP REM 40X in an AICS with a new stainless match barrel (round count 320 as of today). Scope/mount are rock solid. No chrono data. At 50Y, this rifle shoots laser beams--same hole as long as I'm driving it right. I wouldn't expect this much loss of precision at only 100Y.

My experience with .22LR is limited.

Suggestions? If the problem is velocity related, is there a faster/heavier brand of consistent ammo that I should try?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Having issues at 100Y

My 40X shoots Wolf Match Target very well out to 200 and I can hit a 10" plate pretty consistently at 300. Mine didn't like Eley as much as the Wolf.

Try wolf MT. I couldn't get good groups out of my 77/22 until I tried Wolf, now I am well under a 1".

-dan

Irregular strikes can cause verticals in 22 LR,

one needs a solid ignition on the rim to get good results,

a solid cleaning can not hurt,

but like the rest states, try, try and try to get good ammo that is subsonic and that shoots good in the rifle.

Like the rest I have not been lucky with Eley, however RWS has stood out like a true champ at 100/200,

I shot to hit empty shot shells at those ranges, big SD:s shows up instantly,

btw I did not say that I did hit them to often but it did happen.

Best regards Chris

Are you shooting of a bipod or sling? When I used to shoot smallbore, vertical stringing for me was normally due to a breathing mistake or mirage (shot SB in the summer).

Like folks mentioned, finding what ammo your rifle likes will help. Every match rifle I ever shot liked Eley Tenex (extremely consistant and pretty damn expensive too
wink.gif
). I had a DCM issued Remington that really liked Lapua Dominator. Get a couple boxes of as many types as you can and see what it likes.

Shooting bipod. It was 40 degrees today with regular wind, so mirage wasn't really a factor. I didn't bring my sling this time, but I'm going to use the sling/bipod combo to really lock it down next time.

I could watch the rounds "drop" more on path to the target than others--it definitely seemed like a velocity issue.

Swedish Guy/all -- is there a way I can check for or prevent irregular strikes?

From everything I've read-- I was expecting .75" or better at 100Y.

Thanks

You have yet to find the correct ammo for your particular bbl.

The RF BR guys do a lot of

rim measuring and lube/relubing of there ammo, they sort for thickness of rim, lenght to lead ie edge on the bullet and some even do a slight recrimp/crimp check.

As to regards to ignition, a test of protrution of the firing pin, a check of pin condition and a general cleaning is all one can do, different RF-systems have better or worser ignition, I am an Annie man myself and have little or limited knowlegde of others.

As always start with the easy stuff, get a load of different ammo and test it out.

to get less than 1´at 100 as a standard is a bit high of a goal, sure perhaps the rifle/shooter/ammo combo might do it but to regularly shoot that well, not that is not something I would hope fore.

Best regards Chris

In order to get constancy you want to at least shoot 20-40 rd just to set lube base in the bore. Only after accuracy deteriorates, do you run 1 wet patch and 2 dry patches down the bore. You want to keep that lube in the bore. When you change brands of ammo, you clean the bore completely, then start over. accurate 22's are treated different than the 22's gun writers talk about. Check to make sure you have the same lot numbers on your ammo boxes. If you know how to read and Eley box, it will tell you what machine , when it was made and the speed. For Eley, find what speed it likes when it's cold and when it's hot, which machine it likes. there are machines that some guys favor. I seem to recall the number 4 machine puts out good ammo, I may have been mis-led, some get real stingy so they can have their favorite ammo. like everyone says, test ammo but don't switch too fast to the next brand and exspect it to shoot in a barrel seasoned with another make or a clean barrel. Exception may be the copper washed ammo.

I discussed this issue with shooters at the international IHMSA in Ft Stockton one year. Any supersonic 22 ammo will widen the group at 100 yds, because they are trans-sonic at that point. Either get ammo that shoots accurately and stays ABOVE the speed of sound, at 100 yds, or subsonic ammo, since that never has to go through the buffeting on trans-sonic speeds.
Once I realized that, I stopped shooting walmart ammo at 100 yds, either just short or a little beyond. Works for me.

I should have mentioned that like you, I have a .308 which is set in an A5 just like my 40X trainer and my .308 is much, much more forgiving of my form. The slightest change in grip pressure, for example, will change the POI on my 40X when it has virtually no effect on my .308.

Not trying to insult you or question your ability but have someone work the bolt and load the rounds for you. I tried that and saw a noticeable improvement on paper. Be sure not to change anything while doing this and keep all movement to breathing, blinking and squeezing the trigger.

I also found a slight improvement when I started pushing the rounds into the chamber by hand then closing the bolt on them. I did a fair amount of reading on RimfireCentral and I think I picked up these tips over there but I don't really remember.

Good luck...

"to get less than 1´at 100 as a standard is a bit high of a goal, sure perhaps the rifle/shooter/ammo combo might do it but to regularly shoot that well, not that is not something I would hope fore."

I second that.

I would agree with what others have said. I shoot a 40x in an A5.

First try a few more types of ammo. I have good luck with both the Wolf match target and match extra. Both are subsonic. The others the rifle didnt like shot pretty well at 50, worse at 100, and were a waste of time at 200.

Second, as Phylodog mentioned, very small differences in technique which do not show up in a 308 at 100yds, will definately show up with the 22 at 100. I can watch groups open up with even slight changes in the pressure with my ring and middle fingers. Changes in cheek pressure can be very noticeable as well.

FWIW

Thanks all--

At 40 degrees, my fingers were starting to go numb by the second hour. Based on the sensitivity to changes many of you have described, the changing conditions in my hands could have been half my problem.

I'm going to give some more ammo types a try and also work with the Eley Club X-tra again. Also, I'm going to load the round into the chamber by hand--I did notice that the rounds loaded a little differently at times depending upon where on the ramp I left them.

Steve

Try some Wolf MT/SK Std+ and work on your follow through. I'd give that a try. Be sure to fire about 10 rounds of the Wolf from a clean barrel before the fire for record to season the barrel or it won't shoot that well.

Let it warm up.
My BR guns drop off big time as soon as the temp goes much below 60.
Try some biathalon ammo if you are going to shoot below 50 degrees.
You bbl will get better also as the round count goes up.