• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Having never used a chassis how do you choose?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
Mcrees, XLR, JP, and several others seem to make high quality chassis systems. I like the value of the mcrees and XLR but dont really have any way to try them out.

Gun will be a savage 10 in 6mm or 6.5 something

Re: Having never used a chassis how do you choose?

Best bet would be to post on here seeing if anyone in Nevada would be willing to meet up with you at a range and let you get behind theirs. Might be a bit of a drive, but I bet there is someone willing. Only other choice is to buy it blind.

I had no idea of what I was getting into when I purchased a McRee stock. I liked the idea and the way it was set up. In addition to never needing to be bedded, meant I saved money or time. Being left handed factory stocks usually never fit and with McRee having an adjustable comb was a huge advantage. From my point it was money well spent.

I have a Savage M10 in a McRee Folder and love it! Like all chassis, you can adjust the shit out of it till your happy, looks good too...
Cleaning is way easier now with it folded. The price was right on mine, so that made the choice very, very easy....
McReeChassis005.jpg

A .42moa 5 round group at 320yards, best this rifle has shot!
320y001.jpg

I personally like the AX AICS, and the 2.0 AICS. Both are great in my opinion if you like chasis systems. I only own the 2.0, but have shot the AX, and it feels great. Some guys either love them or hate them, so the best thing is if you could get behind one before you buy it, because they are pricey. Best of luck.

Just pick Mcree and be done. The most comfortable stock I have ever owned.

Good luck.

There's so many and every one of em feels different. Just stick with a trusted name.

There are surely a ton of them out there. My big debate was between a AICS or a McMillan. I got behind both of them and I'm really glad that I did. I ended up picking up the AICS 2.0 today. I'll post a build update as the parts start rolling in. The one I felt was awesome and I'm anxious to get mine.

Honestly you truly need to feel them to make a good decision. Something that is great for someone might be terrible for you. Take your time and find something that you like.

So does AI make a chassis for Savage guns now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So does AI make a chassis for Savage guns now? </div></div>

nope..not yet..in the works..but dont hold our breath while the get it done

choose by appearence and functionality for what you want. McRees has a nice set up that can be used for match shooting and hunting. The foregrip is whats going to dictate what you can do with it

I went with an Eliseo RTS
prefer action to be completely enclosed
Uses 360' recoil lug
Defiance makes an action specifically for stock

How they feel pert much like an AR
most if not all have fully adjustable stocks

Like many have said it is a preference with what chassis has the features you like. I will say I have a Mcree for my r700 and I could not be happier with it. It has/does everything I could ever need it to. Def worth looking at for the money, I couldn't see anything that a higher priced stock does that the Mcree doesn't.

I've looked at several and McRee's seemed to have all the features at a better price and dealing with Scott on phone and email was a pleasure. For their "out the door" cost that includes shipping on internet orders, you get multiple flush cup points, adjustable LOP and cheekpiece, and some other perks that are "options" on many other chassis systems out there.

Was going to use a McRee's on custom 338 Lapua build on Stiller TAC338 action until I started adding everything up. Then got killer deal on Savage 110 FCP HS Precision and hear that they are working on machining for Savage LA right now at McRee's from Scott. So I see a McRee's in my future on the 110 FCP for sure when it is available.

Mcrees really does seem to have a lot of features for the money. I need to figure out exactly what I want and go from there

Chassis........ If you were dropping an R700 or clone into one you'd be pulling your hair out! But lucky you, using a Savage action narrows the field.

A lot of folks go McRee because of cost and function but for me they just don't catch my eye.

If I were in your shoes I'd take a closer look at an XLR Evo or XLR Carbon chassis. When I get rolling on my next project (after finishing my current ones) I'll be highly considering an XLR Carbon chassis.

I just got my Xlr for my remmy. Fits me better than I thought. I love it

Cost is a issue for me for sure. I really like the JP but for that money it is a tough call for me.