• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Having too much fun with scales and dew points

Denys

Turbulent Optics Student
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Texas
    Yesterday, I shot my last 1000 yard match before Raton. I have loaded 500 rounds for the upcoming event and because of the vagaries of component availability in the last year or so, I found myself starting a new batch of Varget at some point in the process. I elected to start the new batch from the entire 500 rounds, using my same load. Yep, breaking all the rules, don't remind me. Because of travel and commitments, I was unable to do any testing. Until yesterday. Also, I did this entire batch with an added step in my powder loading, the use of my Gempro 250 with the Omega powder trickler. Yep, two changes (powder batch and scale), but I was thinking the scale thing was not a downside.

It took me a little while to get used to the Gempro and I altered my sequence a little bit after the first 30 rounds or so. I used to get the powder charge from the Chargemaster, dump it in the case and seat the bullet while the CM1500 was measuring the next load. Now, I use the CM to drop 0.1 grain short of my target load. I dump the contents onto the GM250 's tray and trickle up from there using the Omega. I discovered that while the two scales were pretty much in agreement of the weight, at least at the grain and fairly close at the tenth of a grain, the CM was not as consistent as could be hoped for. When it was showing the desired weight, which was virtually all the time, the variations on the GM250 were an eye-opener.

It took a little while to understand the idiosyncrasies of the GM250 but after 10 rounds or so, I was confident that I was loading to the kernel, if the GM250 could be trusted, of course. If I had been smart, I would not have seated the bullets immediately and I could have redone the first 10 or so, but it is what it is. After a little while I decided that it would be much more efficient to charge 50 cases at a time and then seat the bullets for those 50. This reduced the workload, switching from a delicate operation to a gross operation and back over and over, and it afforded me a break after 1.5 hours sitting at a table measuring powder. By the end of the 500 round marathon, I could hit my target weight on the GM250 with my Omega within 10-12 seconds and the GemPro 250 and I are old friends who understand each other.

So yesterday during the first match, my face was awash in water, not so much my sweat as the humidity in the air. The temperature was in the low 80s at the start and there was no way I could keep my glasses dry and clean. I had 3 different cloths and they were all drenched at the end of the relay. I even turned on the illuminated reticle to help me find the dang thing. My first sighters were high, so I thought the new batch of Varget was hotter than the old one. I adjusted the scope and after my customary five sighters on the first match, I went for record totally drenched and fidgeting like a mad eel. I was wiping my glasses at every shot, and sometimes two or three times. I was also thinking about how the first 10 rounds were not my best loading work and that played on my mind also. I should have told myself that while they were not the best of the lot, they were better than any of the multiple thousands I had loaded with the CM1500 alone. Then I discovered (realized) that I was shooting high consistently in the 9 at 11 o'clock. So I adjusted my scope and got an 8 at 11 o'clock. While wiping my glasses, I made another adjustment to the scope and got a 7 at 11 o'clock. You guessed it, I was turning the scope knobs the wrong way. It only cost me 5 points in two shots. By the end of the first 15 round match, my scope settings were right back to where they were at the beginning of the match; there was no detectable difference in the Varget lots. I had worried for nothing, but did manage to lose 14 points in the first 15 round match.

After the pit duty I returned to the line to discover that while it was hotter, my glasses were not covered with water. I just cleaned them before the start of the string and shot my entire string quite quickly, more for confirmation of the ammo and scope settings than anything else as I had resolved that I had shot myself out of winning or placing with my disastrous first string. I shot a 145-4X in about 7 or 8 minutes. My puller got a good workout, but I noticed that the shots were all horizontal; no vertical issues at all. On the third match, I continued shooting very quickly and the wind was up at that time, but again, there were no vertical issues. I shot a 142-3 in about 6 minutes or so and the shots were very much horizontal. When I got to the pits for my final duty I could see the spread and it was smaller than the X-ring but I did not measure it as the next shooter fired on that sheet. By that time the temperature was 101 degrees and I was dragging a little bit.

A big weight has been lifted from my shoulders; the ammo is terrific, the best I have ever produced and the gun shoots magnificently. It's all me now.

One issue remains though. I am trying to understand how or why I was so drenched in the first match when it was cooler than in the later matches. I think it has to do with the dew point. We started to shoot at 8:15AM, and I arrived at 6:40AM and was outside doing registration and match prep for about an hour and a half before taking my first shot. Need more research on dew point.

Denys,
    Sounds like you've got a good load to take to Raton. That's a good part of the battle right there. Let's just hope you don't twirl the turrets backwards when shooting for score in a couple weeks!

I shot the match also, same as Denys, sweating more earlier in the day than later. Shirt was soaked after match one, and dry when I got in the car to go home.

Well, I had the chance to do a bit of research earlier today and I was right, the drenching part in the early morning has to do with the dew point. The dew point is the temperature at which the air is fully saturated with water vapor and this water vapor will condensate and evaporate at the same rate. When the temperature rises above the dew point, the saturation drops and you do not feel as wet because the water vapor is not able to condensate nearly as much. The dew point was in the low 80s and that's why water was undergoing condensation at such a rapid rate. When it got warmer, it was much less wet.

This just goes to show how miserable it can be shooting in August in Houston.

gstaylorg: Yes, I am VERY happy with the load and I think my brain farts with the scope were directly attributable to my physical discomfort; it could not be anything else. Thankfully, in Raton, we will not be facing dew point issues; at 6600 feet elevation, there is no humidity. I have to remember to pack some lip balm sticks.

I shot the match also, same as Denys, sweating more earlier in the day than later. Shirt was soaked after match one, and dry when I got in the car to go home.

Well, Mark being the seasoned competitor that he is, did not let that little issue bother him in the least. He shot a 150-12X in the first match and finished the match with 450-ungodlyamountofX.

The scores went out Sunday evening for distribution.

Air can hold more moisture when it is warmer than when it is cooler. This is why we refer to humidity as "relative humidity" and not just "humidity". This is why rapidly approaching cold air fronts cause rain, as the cooler air can no longer hold onto the evaporated water it has accumulated, and the water falls out of the air. Literally.

Imagine a hot sunny day evaporating lots and lots of moisture into the air. The temperature during the day reaches 100 Deg F. The day is hot but not too humid, let's say, because the relative humidity is 50% (to pick a number for an example). Then, when the sun goes down, the temperature falls to 80 degrees. If the relative humidity was 50% at 100 degrees F, and if none of the water leaves the air through rain or dew, then in the morning at 80 degrees F the relative humidity is almost 100%. Look at the psychometric chart on this page, the one with the colored straight lines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

The lines represent relative humidity. So go to the green line of 50% relative humidity and also see that air temperature in degrees F is across the top. Notice that 100 degrees F air temperature and 50% relative humidity corresponds to a dewpoint temperature of about 80 Degrees F (right scale). Dew point means, for our purposes, 100% relative humidity. 100 percent relative humidity means the air can hold no more moisture; it is full. So when you perspire, the perspiration cannot evaporate because the air is already full of water. This leaves you drenched. When the air warms up later in the day, relative humidity falls and your perspiration can evaporate, leaving you feeling more comfortable even at the higher air temperature.

From Wikipedia:

"When the air temperature is high, the body's thermoregulation uses evaporation of perspiration to cool down, with the cooling effect directly related to how fast the perspiration evaporates. The rate at which perspiration can evaporate depends on how much moisture is in the air and how much moisture the air can hold. If the air is already saturated with moisture, perspiration will not evaporate. The body's cooling system will produce perspiration in an effort to keep the body at its normal temperature even when the rate it is producing sweat exceeds the evaporation rate. So even without generating additional body heat by exercising, one can become coated with sweat on humid days. It is the unevaporated sweat that tends to make one feel uncomfortable in humid weather."

I carry towels also. There sometimes are sweat drenched places on my shooting mat where my arms contact the mat; last time out the freakin ants made a trail from the edge of the mat to my left elbow (the mat was in the middle of a tarp, so they were making a trip of 3-4 feet from the grass to get to me...WTF?), they were crawling up my arm and biting me during the string. So in between shots I was wiping, smashing ants, blowing sweat off my glasses, and trying to make winds calls...the trail of ants continued after I had completed firing and gotten up, searching the sweat glob for something to bite. I love Butner!

I hope the explanation helps you understand what is happening. Remember, if the sky is clear and there hasn't been any rain overnight to furnish excess moisture, as the day warms up the humidity should fall.

Last edited:
    I too am a fan of the GemPro. I use a Lee powder measure (so cheap, I have one for each caliber/load) and trickle with my fingers. I found that this was even faster than using the Omega. I used to use a Acculab VIC-123 -- the cheaper GemPro drifts less and my scores didn't get any worse when I switched. Just to get rid of the infuriating and confidence-reducing drifting, I'm going to look into getting a magnetic force restoration balance when I get back from Raton.