• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hawk Hill Custom barrels?

Parsons

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2013
North Carolina
I am in the process of figuring out which barrels I want for a couple rifles I am going to be building. I am going to go with one krieger if I can get it in time but that isn't looking likely. I have read a little about hawk hill customs barrels and haven't read anything bad. I was just wondering if any of you all had experience with them and your thoughts.

Krieger is a 11 month wait currently for the calibers I need. I will probably use douglas for one of the rifles as I can get a pretty good deal on one.

Never heard of Hawk Hill barrels until this post. Given the cost of building a custom rifle, I would not want to gamble on an "up & comer". I'm not saying they aren't good. Just not a lot of history and proven results behind them yet. I have never regretted paying for quality. But I have regretted losing my patience and buying something other than what I originally wanted. If your plan was always to go ahead with a Hawk Hill barrel, then by all means, move forward. But if the plan was to build with a Krieger, Bartlein, etc., then wait for what you want. If you don't mind paying slightly above market to avoid a lengthy wait, then you might want to try:

Southern Precision Rifles
Bruno Shooters Supply
Butch's Reloading

Good luck.

It's not that I don't want to wait for quality, it's I cant wait. From being in school I have to do three barreled actions next semester. Some companies work with the school and give us a small discount. I would like to support these companies for doing this for us as well as save some cash since I am already paying out of state tuition plus all tools and parts.

Hawk Hill Barrels are very nice! Single point cut just like Bartlein,Rock Creek, or Krieger. Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs runs one on his personal gun and it shoots sub 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:
Just ordered a 30cal blank from Hawk Hill. Shawn was a good guy to deal with and gave some good advice. I just received my Kreiger Barrels and when I asked them about ordering another they told me 11 months. The guys at Hawk Hill should have mine done in 6 weeks max.

McGowan makes good barrels without the long lead time....I used one in the 2011 "F" class nats..... it was a .250MOA barrel.

Never heard of Hawk Hill barrels until this post. Given the cost of building a custom rifle, I would not want to gamble on an "up & comer". I'm not saying they aren't good. Just not a lot of history and proven results behind them yet. I have never regretted paying for quality. But I have regretted losing my patience and buying something other than what I originally wanted. If your plan was always to go ahead with a Hawk Hill barrel, then by all means, move forward. But if the plan was to build with a Krieger, Bartlein, etc., then wait for what you want. If you don't mind paying slightly above market to avoid a lengthy wait, then you might want to try:

Southern Precision Rifles
Bruno Shooters Supply
Butch's Reloading

Good luck.

Also check Grizzly's for Bartlein's. they always have a good variety on hand.

Check 3rdGen Shooting Supply for Kriegers.

I have used a few Hawk Hill Custom barrels. Here are some of the things we look at when considering the quality of a rifle barrel.

Over all fit and finish
Straightness of the bore
Consistency of the rifling and bore diameter
How the barrel machines/reams.
How well the barrel shoots
Fouling and velocity

Over all, I would put Hawk Hill up with most of the big companies building barrels. The biggest difference is we have only used a handful of Hawk Hill barrels where we have used dozens and dozens of Bartleins. If Hawk Hill can produce the same barrel over time, then Congratulations to Shawn!

Mark

Try calling Tom Sarver at TVP he has benchmark barrels sitting on the shelf that I saw this past weekend.

Good luck,
Merritt

Thanks for all the replies guys. I may give a hawk hill a shot (no pun intended). Seems the people who have used them like them pretty well.

Shawn and Brian at Hawk Hill are super good people. I know quite a few people running his barrels and are seeing great results. Ask Bohem he has quite a few in service. I have one sitting waiting for a Bighorn for a.260 build. Super pumped.

I've built a few rifles using Hawk Hill Barrels. Good quality, I wouldn't have any issues using more of them. Order with confidence. And Shawn is a super nice guy.

Shawn B is a helluva guy. At Reade this spring, I got to chat with him for a couple hours (while working the pits) about barrel making.

Shawn B of Hawk Hill said:
Making a good barrel is the hardest thing I've ever done. I guarantee them to .0001", because it'll go into the scrap pile if it's not

My new match rifle (coming soon) is wearing one and I can't wait!

I have a hawk hills custom barrel on my 308. Would go back to them anytime and have them build a rifle for me, outstanding work