• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hawk Hill out of the barrel-making business

sierra2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Central MO, USA
From Hawk Hill’s FB page:

“As word spreads fast, most of you already know that we are in the process of selling our barrel making equipment. The support we have received from the shooting community over the years has been nothing short of amazing. We thank each one of you who has trusted us enough to run our barrels. You have helped put Hawk Hill Custom on the map as one of the top barrel makers in the country.
Rest assured, Hawk Hill Custom isn’t going away. We still have our shop in VA and are still distributing our shooting accessories.
As of July 10th we have stopped taking barrel orders. Over the next few months, we will be in the process of moving equipment and training the new owner. We will work as long as it takes to have him up and running smoothly to make the finest barrel possible.
We aren’t going to release who the new owner is, he will do that on his own timing, but you will not be disappointed. He is well known and respected in the shooting community and is determined to continue making the same quality of barrels that Hawk Hill Custom has provided over the years.
We are excited to see what the future holds for this new barrel maker and for Hawk Hill Custom.”

Fascinating, because one would assume it's a profitable business- so why drop that product line?

I could very well be wrong but I doubt it’s extreme group, they seem to be interested in turn key businesses and not buying equipment and building up their own.

I’d put my money on it being a rifle builder.

Reactions: Raffy and Rog2069
Fascinating, because one would assume it's a profitable business- so why drop that product line?
That’s a fair question, but being a profitable business can mean different things to different people. Barrel making is, if nothing else just a machining production business, highly affected by volumes, raw material pricing and with heavy rolling costs. Having been in that business a number of years, I can say that margins are not necessarily as good as one might expect.

Then consider that it’s also a tedious, day in day out, production is king type of operation. Not everyone finds this to be what they want for the rest of their lives. It would seem that Hawk Hill wants to move on from this venture and having a buyer for the barrel making business infuses them with cash to go in another direction.

I’ve known Shawn for a while now and I must admit I was a bit depressed when he told me, but I understand. He has a small shop with 3 guys and they work tirelessly to do what they do. Everything I own has a HH barrel and Shawn did the chambers. Not one disappointment! Shawn told me he is going to set the new owner up and train them on his process so fingers crossed!

From talking with Shawn over the last few months most of it is like @lash said. Material costs have gone crazy and Shawn can't really increase his volume. Even if he got the equipment or ran shifts there isn't the skilled labor to support it. He is a little shop in the middle of nowhere VA.

I think he just wants more time with his family and he has definitely earned it! He is, without question, one of the nicest, down to earth guys I know! I wish him the best in his new chapter!

I’ve known Shawn for a while now and I must admit I was a bit depressed when he told me, but I understand. He has a small shop with 3 guys and they work tirelessly to do what they do. Everything I own has a HH barrel and Shawn did the chambers. Not one disappointment! Shawn told me he is going to set the new owner up and train them on his process so fingers crossed!

From talking with Shawn over the last few months most of it is like @lash said. Material costs have gone crazy and Shawn can't really increase his volume. Even if he got the equipment or ran shifts there isn't the skilled labor to support it. He is a little shop in the middle of nowhere VA.

I think he just wants more time with his family and he has definitely earned it! He is, without question, one of the nicest, down to earth guys I know! I wish him the best in his new chapter!

The barrel business doesn't seem to be a great one to be in right now. Can't say I blame him.

Tons of demand for barrel blanks, but if you can't increase capacity or otherwise curb lead times, you're fighting a losing battle for sure.

I can't say I've ever preferred Hawk Hill out of all the barrels I've ever owned, but I always appreciated that they supported matches, etc. Hopefully the new owners don't go the route of Defiance and tank it in less than ~6 months.

Austin Orgain is the man taking HH's legacy to Oklahoma, rumor says, been confirmed it's one the JTAC crew. Makes sense, Tate just built a big new shop. Glad my smith just spun me up 6 new HH barrels, I'll be good till some time next year. Hopefully the new owners maintain the same business relations with HH's existing customers who've done a ton of business with them already. My smith made some calls and was told unofficially that the new production on HH's old equipment will be as good or better than what's being produced currently.

It’s going to be a while. Learning curve and all that…
Pretty sure Shawn, prior owner was ordering his steel schedule 12 months in advance. Hopefully he kept up on that, and new owners have their hands on this inventory, or it'll be at least a year before we see a barrel of HH's old equipment.

Pretty sure Shawn, prior owner was ordering his steel schedule 12 months in advance. Hopefully he kept up on that, and new owners have their hands on this inventory, or it'll be at least a year before we see a barrel of HH's old equipment.

I heard there is no material left....thats why no more barrels for a while.....idk how true that is...🤷‍♂️

I heard there is no material left....thats why no more barrels for a while.....idk how true that is...🤷‍♂️
I know he was turning out all the material he had on hand to fill what orders he could through July. But I believe you're correct on the no availability, who knows if he had more ordered. Who knows how long the acquisition has been in the works tho, new owners might have been ahead the game and started getting things in progress months ago. I could see those okie boys doing that, Tate's no newbie to the manufacturing game.

My hawk hill shoots amazing on my 6gt, moving to oklahoma would be nice I’m local.
I've got a dozen HH between 22br 22gt 6bra 6gt 25cm & 65cm, waiting on my new 7lrm, 65saum and 6 Saum all on HH. I ordered 8 blanks back in Jan, so glad I did! Found 4 more 6mm hvy contour 7.5tw in last month. I stockpiling cuz who knows when they'll be available again!

Last edited:
Do you want a rushed buy-out and turn around, or do you want a clean transition with quality product ?

Like an apprentice/trainee-ship, these things take time to get up to speed and learn properly. Frustrating yes, but better in the long haul.

Do you want a rushed buy-out and turn around, or do you want a clean transition with quality product ?

Like an apprentice/trainee-ship, these things take time to get up to speed and learn properly. Frustrating yes, but better in the long haul.
I agree, I want the same or better quality, I'm willing to wait it out.

Anyone know if they are up and running?
I only ask because Blue Mountain lists HH barrels as a choice in a barreled action.

I am wondering if the website just isnt up to date, or if people have some new sticks from OK.

Im thinking on the 1:8 223 Wylde offering.

Anyone know if they are up and running?
I only ask because Blue Mountain lists HH barrels as a choice in a barreled action.

I am wondering if the website just isnt up to date, or if people have some new sticks from OK.

Im thinking on the 1:8 223 Wylde offering.
Negative. Tate told my smith, grab a snickers, Gonna be a while.

Who’s the new owner?

I talked to Austin at the last class he taught in September, at that moment he didn't even have power to the shop, not sure if he even had machinery there yet. It may be a minute before they're up and operational, but just talking to him about the processes he plans to do,makes me super excited to have a bbl maker in OK! 🙏

Anybody know where there shop is going to be, I only ask because a big shop was bought near me and I’ve been seeing lots of work going on, could just be a coincidence but I guess I can be hopeful lol

Well I ordered an Origin barreled action from Blue Mountain Precision with a Hawk Hill barrel. They said they still have some from before the sale/move.
They had the caliber/contour I was looking for so we shall see.
I would have taken the Benchmark no problem, but it seems people like the cut-rifled better especially when needing to thread 1/2-28.
It was slightly cheaper through them than PVA and I prefer the 1:7.5 twist for .223 Wylde. I also like that they tell you exactly whos barrel your getting in a barreled action.
Hoping for good things (y)

Reactions: lash
Well I ordered an Origin barreled action from Blue Mountain Precision with a Hawk Hill barrel. They said they still have some from before the sale/move.
They had the caliber/contour I was looking for so we shall see.
I would have taken the Benchmark no problem, but it seems people like the cut-rifled better especially when needing to thread 1/2-28.
It was slightly cheaper through them than PVA and I prefer the 1:7.5 twist for .223 Wylde. I also like that they tell you exactly whos barrel your getting in a barreled action.
Hoping for good things (y)
Well, as far as I know, @bohem only uses one brand of barrel, so PVA shouldn't need to tell what they're using. Your statement implies they're using random brand barrels.

Well, as far as I know, @bohem only uses one brand of barrel, so PVA shouldn't need to tell what they're using. Your statement implies they're using random brand barrels.
I never reached out to PVA, I am sure they would tell me if I asked.
It was less about that than the twist and a cut rifled barrel for a hair cheaper.
It was basically a toss up for me, just stating what tipped me toward BMP, and regarding this thread, to mention HH barrels are still out there.

PVA uses two different "brand" barrels. Osprey and Rock Creek. Nobody but Josh knows where the osprey blanks are made. Might be green mountain for all we know lol. My smith chambered at AI, then TS Customs. Now out on his own. His choice of any barrel available on the planet was hawkhill for their consistency on bore to groove dimensions and the concentricity of bore. They clean up easy, foul very little, might take slightly longer to break in, but all of mine have shot very well.

Last edited: