• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hawkeye borscope angled eyepiece. Worth it?

operator1

Minuteman
Nov 15, 2004
Youngsville, NC
Getting ready to call Brunos and order a Hawkeye borescope. Was wondering if the 90 degree angled eyepiece is worth the extra $$.
Anyone have any input on this? Do you guys use the angled eyepiece often or can you get along without it.

Re: Hawkeye borscope angled eyepiece. Worth it?

I would like to have the angled eyepiece but I do not. I am not willing to pay the extra $. Mine works just fine with looking straight. I view the angle piece as a luxury item and that money is better spent on something else.

Do you use it while chambering? In the lathe? What I'm wondering is, if it's a pain in the ass to use while the barrel is still in the lathe.

The bore-scope is a great diagnostic tool.I think the angled eyepiece makes detailed studies of a barrel more comfortable and therefore more accurate.Yes it can be used while chamberring, it will not fix any thing but will let you know what you are doing wrong.

I got mine direct from Gradient Lens The angled eyepiece is almost a must in the lathe or with the stock on.

To operate with the level of quality and precision we do a borescope is a must. Combined with our other inspection methods it eliminates the guess work.

I recommend spending the extra $$ and getting the Pro model. It has the independant focus on the eyepiece.

I feel it is a very necessary piece of equipment. Really hard to get your neck/head in the proper position without the angled eye piece. Sometimes there just isn't enough room to either get low enough or high enough to get a good look down the bore. With the angled eye piece it is very easy to check out the bore while the rifle is in the cleaning cradle or gun vise.

I got the angled eyepiece with mine I think it is a good investment. In addition to use on the lathe the angled eyepiece allows you to look at a bore without removing the action from the stock. No regrets here

I got mine from Bruno's and I can't think of a time that I haven't used the angle eye piece. It's worth the $ to me!

maybe I'm missing something, but my Lady just picked me up one of them 5mm flexible borescopes, with the radio transmitted video imaging. The screen is worn on one's wrist, like a watch. Rechargeable batteries, and quite a handy unit.

For a hundred bucks. The store was flogging them out. 80.00 would have gotten a 'viewer' type model, as opposed to the 'separate screen' unit.

Keep shopping around, maybe?

Yes get the angled eyepiece you will be glad you did.

I have a hawkeye without the angled eyepiece and my bud has one with. Much easier to use with the angled eyepiece. In addition to looking inside barrels you can look inside brass for casehead separation signs or to determine if you have the dreaded doughnuts on the neck, inside dies for scratches etc. Handy little tool

Yeah the angled eyepiece is the way to go. You can use yhe scope easier if the rifle is fully assembeled.

Get the angled eyepiece it is more comfortable to use with barrel in lathe or assembled rifle in bench vice. The other day I put my digital camera up to the eyepiece and was able to get a decent picture of tool marked in the bore and was able to e-mail them. I got mine at Brunos they are graet to deal with.

A bit off topic but can someone tell me the difference between the 90 and the 45 degree scope mirror. I am thinking that it will relate to how much angle of the image you will see.

I also noted that on the Hawkeye video promo there is images shown of the scope showing a 360 degree image. Can this be done with any Hawkeye borescope or is it an add on. Is it the view through the outer tube only?.

I have the chance of purchasing a 45 degree hawk eye. I am wanting to make sure this will be ok for the rifle barrels. I have still to verify the width of the tube.

Cheers

I feel a bit stupid relating to the question above 90 and 45 degree. I worked it out pretty quick.

I purchased the Hawkeye scope which is the smaller tube version with the 45 Degree eye piece. I pick it up tomorrow.

I got lucky with the price, It comes in the protect case with all that came with it when new, even the Qtips in the silver bottle.

I am paying £100 which at the current exchange rate, equates to $154.30. my best buy for a long time.

As stated above, I paid $100.00 Canadian for mine, though it is not branded as a 'Hawkeye'.

It is 5mm, flexible, and radio transmitted video, so I won't deny it is somewhat convenient. Made in china, but for what I'll use it for, and the often-ness that I'll use it, I made out pretty good I think.

Came with the fancy case too, but things don't fit worth crap in it, so I'm going to do my own thing there.

The receiver/tv screen straps onto your wrist, like a watch. Handy in itself, and stops one from dropping somewhat important things.

TikkaM55sporter said:
A bit off topic but can someone tell me the difference between the 90 and the 45 degree scope mirror.

The mirror is at the end of the scope tube at a 45 degree angle
which gives you a 90 degree view of the barrel bore.....works like a submarine periscope.

Go with the 90 degree eyepiece I just got one and like it much better than the straight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a Hawkeye??

Mine was near $1700. My eyepiece alone was $250. I would like to see some pictures of your "loot" once you get it home. This sounds too good to be true. </div></div>

It sure is a genuine Hawkeye borescope which is in the hard case with all the extras that come with it from new. The mirror is unmarked. It is the basic model with the 45 degree eye piece, 4.1mm inner tube. I even got the Maglite with it.

Does picture uploads have to come through a third party and not just direct from your computer.

I live on a Farm 10 miles at the end of a Valley, way up in the hills of the Scottish Borders. Only way I can get Broadband is by satellite at 4 times the cost of surface Broadband. I also have a usage limit of 20 gigabyte. This usage covers two people using an iMac and a MacBook Pro laptop. We are always having to watch our usage, if we go over we are onto dial up.

will get pics up for you to see.

The scope was put on Ebay for 30 minutes. I contacted the guy and asked if he would consider a buy it now, as he was close by, I said I would meet him today and pay by cash. He even gave me a new box of Qtips.

It comes third in my list of best buys in the last 3 months. I purchased an 8" double grinder on a pedestal that would cost new $3000, it is made by RJH. I paid $50. I bought an as new chain shaw chain sharpener that is the same as the top of the line Oregon sharpener, it has the hydraulic clamp that tightens up the chain when the disc comes down. I paid $7 for that.
There is deals to be had if you know where to look.
Unfortunately Gun & Riflesmithing tools are not easy picked up at a bargain price.

Ian