• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hawkins Precision Hunter DBM issue...??

toader

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I had a new custom built hunting rifle in 300PRC to the range yesterday. I used the Hawkins Hunter DBM on this build and I'm having an issue....

I used a Surgeon action on the build, and with no ammo in the DBM, the bolt is slick as hell. When I load the DBM and go to feed the cartridge, the bolt is a little rough and gritty. The cartridge will feed into the chamber but not as slick as it should.

The rifle is new and everything is cerakoted....not sure if its a feeding issue, or things just need worn in to feed more smoothly..??

I appreciate any thoughts or help!!

What did the builder say when you asked him?

Reactions: toader
Appreciate it guys....my builder is a great guy...if something is wrong he'll take care of it!! Said the follower spring may be super stiff due to being brand new & this is creating alot of upward pressure on the cartridges. Also everything is ceracoated...may need to run it to work everything in.

The rifle feeds but not as slick as snot. Seems to me the brass is hanging up on the feed lips....going to polish the underside of the feed lips to see if that smoothes it up.

Also talking with Nick from Hawkins through emails....he's going to get back to me after I sent him the specs of the rifle. Appreciated his quick response to my original email....great customer service!!

FYI...its a Surgeon 1086 action...its slick as hell with an empty DBM installed....when its loaded with ammo is when it gets gritty.

Any other input is appreciated!!

Last edited:
Appreciate it guys....my builder is a great guy...if something is wrong he'll take care of it!! Said the follower spring may be super stiff due to being brand new & this is creating alot of upward pressure on the cartridges. Also everything is ceracoated...may need to run it to work everything in.

The rifle feeds but not as slick as snot. Seems to me the brass is hanging up on the feed lips....going to polish the underside of the feed lips to see if that smoothes it up.

Also talking with Nick from Hawkins through emails....he's going to get back to me after I sent him the specs of the rifle. Appreciated his quick response to my original email....great customer service!!

FYI...its a Surgeon 1086 action...its slick as hell with an empty DBM installed....when its loaded with ammo is when it gets gritty.

Any other input is appreciated!!
I had one in SA that was doing this and it was a mag that was out of spec on the feed lips. Rear of the brass was hanging making it very stiff to cycle/chamber a round. I would advise to try another mag before I modified the Hawkins

I tested another mag and it ran fine. Hawkins replaced my mag.

Reactions: toader
You need to tune your feed lips. When they are new they can drag on the cases and feel pretty awful
Hawkins mags are milled billet aluminum. They don’t bent. I tried on one and beat it pretty good and it barely moved.

Other stamped metal mags I would totally agree.

You need to tune your feed lips. When they are new they can drag on the cases and feel pretty awful
I polished up the feed lips on one of my mags.....its a hell of alot smoother than the new ones. Going to give it a try this wkend....