• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HD Rifles Carlos Hathcock commemorative rifle

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I am having a ton of trouble finding much info on these rifles. There was a limited run made by HD Rifles around 2006.

They were Surgeon actions in adj McMillan A5's with Lothar Walther 24" barrels chambered in 308. They had a special CH edition USO TPal in TPS rings.

I am trying to figure what a 50 round count, as new complete setup would be worth. I have a friend with one willing to sell it to me. I would have to move a great shooting rifle to get it and want to make sure it is worth it.

Re: HD Rifles Carlos Hathcock commemorative rifle

It's one of 5 dude. Value, dunno but I'd wager the intrinsic is worth more than the actual. Kinda like a USMC unertl. There ain't but so many and the desire is high.

I have a fella here that has #1 or #2 who can give REAL specific details.

Cheers,

Doc

HD rifles went belly up. New ownership. They're now Cactus Arms

They sold me a dangerously over headspaced 338LM years ago after about a 9 month wait time.
Jeff Hicks can go to hell as far I care

Guess that didn't answer your question. But I wouldn't own a rifle by HD if you gave it to me

I would leave jeff hicks dead and buried (figure of speech) from last I head about a year ago cactus arms is back on track and doing right by people, but who knows

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would leave jeff hicks dead and buried (figure of speech) from what i hear cactus arms is back on track and doing right by people</div></div>

Not really, seems what ever was in the Del Rio water was contagious... bad.

I only know what I hear and I haven't heard anything in the past year or so. Who knows what can happen in that time. I would buy anything even if they were doing great just because of the past, sometimes you just can't outlive a reputation whether it is good or bad

So, they are worthless rifles that wont shoot?

Assuming they are decent customs, what would an as new one be worth? The package sold for $6K

best bet if your dead set on one would be to have it thoroughly checked over by the competent smith of your choice and not the original builder or present owners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best bet if your dead set on one would be to have it thoroughly checked over by the competent smith of your choice and not the original builder or present owners</div></div>

The package sold for $6k because a guy not really associated to HD got them to get an "authorized" coin or something from the Hathcock family, so the price was really high.

They are absolutely nothing special and never sold anywhere near the number they were supposed to. It was a bad idea all around.

Question is, does it have a SIMRAD cap? If not, I'd walk away for sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question is, does it have a SIMRAD cap? If not, I'd walk away for sure... </div></div>

I am not familiar with SIMRAD caps. Will have to look it up. What is it?

The original owner is a friend of mine and I know the rifle is exactly as it was received during the group buy. I am going to check it out tomorrow. Will advise.

i guy i know got one.....R I G H T at the end there....he got the rifle....and the scope from USO....i don't however remember it being a surgeon action...i could be wrong....but it shot real well out to 1000yd ...in fact i shot it myself...it did well.....but IMHO they were priced higher than giraffe pussy.....

Yeah, they arent cheap.

Glad to hear the one you shot was a shooter. Not too familiar with Lothar barrels, but I believe that is what I have on my Larue 20" SSS/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's one of 5 dude. Value, dunno but I'd wager the intrinsic is worth more than the actual. Kinda like a USMC unertl. There ain't but so many and the desire is high.

I have a fella here that has #1 or #2 who can give REAL specific details.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Can you hook me up with the fella?

I have an HD that kicks ass.....I was lucky to actually get it though.

However, it was some time before the great melt down, and I understand that quality suffered greatly toward the end.

So, might it shoot? Yes.

Will it shoot? Dont know.

Is it worth the 6k asking price.... ROFL!

I would say it is worth what a similar custom would be worth in like condition, assuming it is not screwed up.

Good luck.

I will check it out and then make my decision. Be neat to have something different. Especially if it is one of only 10 or so.

Didn't someone try to sell one last year for 12K?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't someone try to sell one last year for 12K? </div></div>

Yes, but they failed IIRC

I found this, not sure if it is the same one you are looking for:

CLICK FOR ENLARGEMENT

The Hathcock Sniper Rifle
It takes a world class weapon system to honor the greatest Marine Sniper, Gunny Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, Jr. It is a joint effort by Tactical Marksmanship Training of America, HD rifles and US optics.

The action is HD rifles design in .308 caliber with an integral picatinny rail, and enlarged ejection port. All metal parts are coated in HDR ceramic coating. The trigger is from Schillen and the Barrel is from Lothar Walthers. The 24 inch barrel has a one-in-ten twist and finishes with a Marine Corps crown.

The scope is from US optics. It’s their Hathcock Series Scope, a 3.2 to 17 variable power, with a 30mm body built out of T-6 aluminum. The scope has quarter MOA adjustments for both elevation and windage. There is a honeycomb light diffuser over the 44 millimeter objective and a custom Mil-Dot reticule that can be illuminated to eleven power levels.

Hathcock Sniper Rifle
MSRP $5900
www.HDRifles.net
www.UsOptics.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HDRifles.net is a dead link. Can you IM me the correct link?</div></div>

See above, they went out of business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HD rifles went belly up. New ownership. They're now Cactus Arms

They sold me a dangerously over headspaced 338LM years ago after about a 9 month wait time.
Jeff Hicks can go to hell as far I care

Guess that didn't answer your question. But I wouldn't own a rifle by HD if you gave it to me </div></div>

I can tell you that far worse or more dangerous has come from Cactus recently. My buddy learned this first hand the hard way. I would stay far away from Cactus!!! I would also not own anything made by them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would leave jeff hicks dead and buried (figure of speech) from what i hear cactus arms is back on track and doing right by people</div></div>

Not really, seems what ever was in the Del Rio water was contagious... bad. </div></div>

+1000 stay away from Cactus!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would leave jeff hicks dead and buried (figure of speech) from what i hear cactus arms is back on track and doing right by people</div></div>

Not really, seems what ever was in the Del Rio water was contagious... bad. </div></div>

+1000 stay away from Cactus! </div></div>

I'd not heard of Cactus. Are they the group that came out of the HDR mess? What specifically has Cactus done that was so dangerous? Have something blow up?

I will stick with GAP for my new stuff no matter what, but I have done enough research to see that HD Rifles was a top notch company before the guy decided to start stealing peoples money.

What a waste, to go from building top notch rifles to destroying your name and honor, just for money.

They built good rifles for a couple of years. I got a .308 that they built me around 2003 that still shoots great FWIW.