• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing He has become a monster....

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    My son has the bug....My day is a progression of photos...seconds apart...

1627091737079.png

1627091762519.png

1627091787612.png

1627091806623.png

1627091827868.png

1627091859319.png

1627091885678.png

1627091905709.png

1627091924640.png

1627091941584.png

12 total for him today and I got skunked. He caught them all on his fresh from the bait shop new fishing rod he bought with his dog walking money.

They are not giants but they are feisty, clean healthy, little guys.

View attachment 7673711View attachment 7673712

There is nothing better than fishing with your kids.

Catching with your kids is better.

I was just fishing.

My tried and true blackberry Manns Jellyworm didn't cut it. A Bagleys baby bass crankbait net me zero, than I copied my sons bait of the moment a whacky rigged rubber worm and I was still getting skunked.

He caught on a buzz bait and the whacky worm.

Today was a scheduled family beach day.

My son told us he had the shits basically delayed everyone else.

I told my wife he was lying and just wants to go fishing.

I was right.

Pretty much ruined the whole day but I guess he had a good day.

shame no tails of cleaning grilling and eating your catch . That was always my favorite part of fishing with my father was eating the fish we could when we caught them grilled fish simple and clean and some lemon yum or wild mushrooms and some scallions . I was always amazed all the ways a person could come up with to cook something in on the fly .

A couple of weeks ago myself and one of the daughters took the youngest grandkids fishing. The little stocked pond we would normally used is closed, so we went to a floating fishing platform on the Red River.
    Fiberglass cane poles, laid a nightcrawler right on the bottom. Hoping for catfish.
    123_1(2).jpeg

Our bait wasn't stinky enough for cats but the silver bass liked the worms. This is CC's first fish, she's not that all impressed. I'm thinking in a few years she will enjoy plastering gophers moreso than drowning worms in a muddy river.
    Grandkids make life rich, and exhausting.

Going to Oklahoma to visit my grandparents as a kid. Zebco rod and reel, red and white bobber, worms from the bait shop. Hit the lake early, sardines and crackers for lunch. The older folks caught catfish. Us kids caught tons of perch.

Get home, scale, skin and clean. Lightly battered, deep fried-fresh goodness. Miss those days. I’m grandpa now and that’s another kind of heaven.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
    Have a coworker who’s 10-year old son was playing soccer and broke his leg like many other little boys do. She said the orthopedic surgeon told her they’re seeing more sports injuries in kids. Makes me wonder if it’s from them being inactive and physically less resilient, or they’re just going nuts from having been cooped up for so long.

Have a coworker who’s 10-year old son was playing soccer and broke his leg like many other little boys do. She said the orthopedic surgeon told her they’re seeing more sports injuries in kids. Makes me wonder if it’s from them being inactive and physically less resilient, or they’re just going nuts from having been cooped up for so long.

“more” vs “none” because you can’t get a sports injury when they cancel all the organized sports?

idk. Just my thoughts, worth the price you paid to hear it.

More than likely correct. Get outside, be active. Play, compete, fight, friends again. Peroxide, bandaids and the occasional Dr visit. It’s all healthy.

Fantastic family fishing pictures, that fried fish is killing me with the hungries.

My son has been saving since about the start of this thread for a trip to Bass Pro. we went Saturday.

Had some time to kill before they opened so we walked the cranberry bog trail behind the store....

diXcbKXl.jpg

qvWp6XLl.jpg

S1WNX87l.jpg

Y01Iuqol.jpg

He couldnt wait for it to open.

YpG5Dlsl.jpg

yVp2N6Tl.jpg

He ended up finding matching Abu Garcia spinning/bait cast set up and a basket ful of tackle to buy.

He is way into it more than I ever was "Feel how smooth this reel is.....What is the action on this rod"......asking the counter guy a ton of questions.

I was kind of let down though due the emptiness of the shelves.....My experience has been the place is a forest of fishing rods but the racks are depleted.

The counter people were in agreement of course the answer was Covid did it.

I was noticing how it appears every reel these days is almost identical in its cast housing appears every single one comes from the same chinese factory just stamped with a different manufacturer.

Sure there are only so many possibilities to design a commodity but it seems to be one or none, likely only varying in internals to meet a cost point.

Didnt see anything I think is better than my 35 year old stuff.

If I was in the market for rod/reel today Id probably buy used on Ebay. St Croix might be the buy new exception.

Fantastic family fishing pictures, that fried fish is killing me with the hungries.

My son has been saving since about the start of this thread for a trip to Bass Pro. we went Saturday.

Had some time to kill before they opened so we walked the cranberry bog trail behind the store....

diXcbKXl.jpg

qvWp6XLl.jpg

S1WNX87l.jpg

Y01Iuqol.jpg

He couldnt wait for it to open.

YpG5Dlsl.jpg

yVp2N6Tl.jpg

He ended up finding matching Abu Garcia spinning/bait cast set up and a basket ful of tackle to buy.

He is way into it more than I ever was "Feel how smooth this reel is.....What is the action on this rod"......asking the counter guy a ton of questions.

I was kind of let down though due the emptiness of the shelves.....My experience has been the place is a forest of fishing rods but the racks are depleted.

The counter people were in agreement of course the answer was Covid did it.

I was noticing how it appears every reel these days is almost identical in its cast housing appears every single one comes from the same chinese factory just stamped with a different manufacturer.

Sure there are only so many possibilities to design a commodity but it seems to be one or none, likely only varying in internals to meet a cost point.

Didnt see anything I think is better than my 35 year old stuff.

If I was in the market for rod/reel today Id probably buy used on Ebay. St Croix might be the buy new exception.
    Gonna send you some fish pics this year to show him. Pm me your address and I’ll send him a box of goodies!

My very old mount.........

image.jpg

My son was wanting to get the Northern mounted but he left it on a stringer while fishing and the eels/turtles gnawed it all up.

This was my best fish caught....

image.jpg

Too bad the kids were too small to reel in those sand bags when Grandpa used to take us on that charter yearly.

Amateurs! Check out this monster from Grindstone Lake in NM!😁😉

Attachments

• PXL_20210826_174349275.jpg
      PXL_20210826_174349275.jpg
      901.8 KB · Views: 65
    Emptying the camera....

Some early harbor fishing we got skunked but not really, scenery and North end coffee with Biscotti is a good time.

n1IERkml.jpg

DmHEsSul.jpg

yMrv5itl.jpg

ZltqdhVl.jpg

hkXw0G8l.jpg

HILRCPXl.jpg

bhZrSHKl.jpg

ABTD2ail.jpg

Paul Reveres Lantern Church....

30Tfnqzl.jpg

Reactions: Snipe260 and rope
    They locked into some stripers up in the Mystic Lakes from the Atlantic....

View attachment 7696684

View attachment 7696685

Some Perch...

View attachment 7696687

Looks like a small mouth from earlier this week.

View attachment 7696689
    Those white perch got stocked in a few of our lakes by "accident" and they have almost destroyed the fishery. They are the closest thing to a pirahna that we have in Kansas. Wildlife and parks has had to stop stocking fry because all they are doing is feeding the white perch. They did put 21" length limits on walleye and wipers to help. I have caught 5" white perch on a 6" whopper plopper while fishing for wipers. They should have left them in Virginia. We got them with stripers in trade for some walleye.

Picture overload of my triplets and some of the fish from Kansas and their HS graduation trip to Minnesota in 2018, a Minnesota trip last summer, and some local Kansas walleye, wipers, smallmouth, largemouth, and a 2.73 lbs crappie.
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 397.jpg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 230.jpeg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 607.jpg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 635.jpg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 644.jpeg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 835.jpeg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 2340.jpeg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 2462.jpg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 2771.jpg
    Phone pictures 6-16-21 2899.jpeg

add a couple of lyrics a tweak here and there man and Ive been everywhere becomes he's fished everywhere man lol

• Haha
    Reactions: 260284
    Those white perch got stocked in a few of our lakes by "accident" and they have almost destroyed the fishery. They are the closest thing to a pirahna that we have in Kansas. Wildlife and parks has had to stop stocking fry because all they are doing is feeding the white perch. They did put 21" length limits on walleye and wipers to help. I have caught 5" white perch on a 6" whopper plopper while fishing for wipers. They should have left them in Virginia. We got them with stripers in trade for some walleye.

Picture overload of my triplets and some of the fish from Kansas and their HS graduation trip to Minnesota in 2018, a Minnesota trip last summer, and some local Kansas walleye, wipers, smallmouth, largemouth, and a 2.73 lbs crappie.View attachment 7707484View attachment 7707485View attachment 7707486View attachment 7707500View attachment 7707501View attachment 7707502View attachment 7707505View attachment 7707506View attachment 7707507View attachment 7707510

Never saw white perch when I was catching as a kid. didnt know of their existence till my son started catching them.

I guess messing with ecology is okay as long as the govt does it.

Reactions: rope and 260284

Higher end Daiwa or Shimano are Japanese made still.
    For baitcasters I'd look at Daiwa.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Yesterday.....Fishing on a charter with his friends....

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail