• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Head Gear for Sparring

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
I’m looking for headgear that will allow me to spar taking big shots without facial injury. I currently use Winning headgear with the nose bar and a custom mouthguard. I regularly spar with some high-level guys and have found that upon taking it off I have a bloody nose and bruising. This week whilst sparring a smaller former world class MT fighter I took some big shots, upon taking the head gear off I had a bruise over my eye and another over the bridge of my nose which I thought might be broken. My nose still smarts and I’m going to have to take a week off sparring for everything to go back to normal. Just wondering is there some head gear that will provide better protection? Has anyone used RedMan headgear with the cage or High Gear headgear? If so, how do they stand up to big blows?

The obvious answer is to develop better defence such as head movement, slips and feints etc. I’m working on these but need something whilst sparring high level guys. Another obvious answer is getting better sparring partners, but every gym seems to have somebody that goes too hard. Also, it is not me going to hard as I’ve often been told to go harder. I’m in the military and joining the police and know both wouldn’t be impressed if I get injured sparring outside work.

Really only two choices. Either wear a football helmet if your gonna keep letting the other guy hit you or you can just knock the other guy on his ass immediately. I'd go with the second choice cuz I don't like helmets but hey, to each his own.

Reactions: soflastg
Winning headgear is the best you can buy. Not sure if you are aware, but the headgear is malleable. You can bend it to create a deeper curve to the nose bar, which will allow it to sit farther away from your nose.