• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Head Mount Solutions? (UPDATE W/ PICS)

Scott2501

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks to everyone that give input on my original post below. I got a helmet setup put together and took a few pics. Here is what I ended up with:

Ops Core FAST Base Jump Helmet
Norotos Rhino Mount
EOG Counterweight
S&S V-Lite
Surefire Helmet Light
Surefire M1 Illuminator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Everyone,

I currently have an AN/PVS-14 that is weapon mounted using a TM-14 mount from TNVC. I use the set up for night time varmit hunting mostly. I would like to be able to also head mount the 14 for general use at night when camping, etc.

I have the strap system that came with the 14, but it isn't the greatest. I am looking for another option, but trying to piece together even a lower priced option from TNVC lands me in the $1,000 range for helmet, mount, and adapter/J arm. Other than TNVC, I don't even know where to look for something like this.

So, basically my options are use the "free" one that came with it or spend $1,000? There has to be something in the $200-500 range, right? Admittedly, I'm new at this and don't know exactly what I am looking at, so maybe there is an option I am just missing.

I have read TNVC's opinion about reasons for using high quality mounts, and totally get it. However, I am not using my NVD in a tactical situation, only for recreational purposes.

Anybody have suggestions?

My current set up:

</div></div>

Re: Reasonably Priced PVS-14 Head Mount Solutions?

Wow, thanks for the quick help. I'm assuming the mount just straps onto the bike helmet, and then the j-arm just clips into that? Seems simple enough.

Will any bike helmet work? I looked at REI's website and there are a million different ones. Any specifics?

Thanks for the clarity. Just trying to figure it out on my own, there are some many different options and parts I couldn't figure out what I would need to put it all together.

Anybody else have suggestions?

Added the REI helmet link, and yes, the mount straps on the helmet. This is the set-up I am using right now and it works fine.
Yes, J-Arm clips on the mount. I leave my J-Arm on the 14. Head to weapon, and back, no problem with practice in the dark...

this will answer your question. I have about 380$ in it from mod armory and could have less had I used my own jarm, but I bought a used set up from him. His handle here is Huntler.

Hope this helps. I am very pleased with it, and he is very helpful. Absolutely no sales pressure.

am looking to build a helmet set up and have been referred to you by one of the other members. Can you give me a call on my cell and I will tell you what I have in mind.

I have an MV-14, which is identical to the PVS-14/ALMOST. That is whay I want to discuss. This is what I am looking for.

Thanks

here is the helmet -

http://www.modarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42&products_id=120

here is the mount plate -

http://www.modarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=115

and the mount is a standard USGI Rhino Mount -

http://www.ownthenight.com/catalog/i202.html

Hunter has the rhinos.

Lastly the J Arm =

http://www.modarmory.com/index.php?main_...p;keyword=j-arm

Thanks for the help!

Bump for update in OP.

My experience with the Norotos rhino versus the Wilcox is I prefer the Wilcox because Wilcox is a showroom floor new cadillac.
Norotos is a wrecked volkswagen that still runs.
Norotos mount and Rhino arm on e-bay, $40.00. Wilcox mount and arm I have seen at $500.00 on E-bay.
Some of Uncle Sam's children provided the Norotos free and I spent my money on 3rd Generation Plus NV and the wrecked VW has worked fine for me with the normal aggravation of any wrecked VW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhuskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilcox mount and arm I have seen at $500.00 on E-bay.
Some of Uncle Sam's children provided the Norotos free and I spent my money on 3rd Generation Plus NV and the wrecked VW has worked fine for me with the normal aggravation of any wrecked VW.
</div></div>
Hence, my question from a value standpoint. If you're not working a 2 way range, is the expense necessary for the average shooter, hunter, hobbyist?

As well, should you run into any more of Uncle Sams wayward children w/ neat toys, send them my way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhuskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilcox mount and arm I have seen at $500.00 on E-bay.
</div></div>
Hence, my question from a value standpoint. If you're not working a 2 way range, is the expense necessary for the average shooter, hunter, hobbyist?

As well, should you run into any more of Uncle Sams wayward children w/ neat toys, send them my way. </div></div>

I personally can't see the expense which is why I use the cheap, BUT, when speed is neccessary on feral hogs, the wilcox has the definite edge. I have missed some shots because of this when using both the 14 head mounted to walk and look and a NV scope on the rifle for precision.
I have missed way more hogs shooting with the DBAL I1, civilian because the dot is so large compared to a I2, its hard to be precise, therefore the scope on the rifle for better sight aquisition.
We could talk about this for days and ASM-1 has had the same issues where his discussion about the 1.5-5 Leupold with the PVS24 is faster with more kills than any heads up shooting with a DBAL.

Yes, the Wilcox is smoother and faster to use but its not worth $500.00 to me personally. If I was doing hog and predator hunting for a living, I'd have the wilcox and damn a norotos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hows your experience w/ the Rhino mount vs some of the more "high speed" offerings? </div></div>

I see you have already gotten feedback on this issue, but I'll add what I can. As you can tell from my original post, I was trying to find a way to head mount my PVS-14 without spending a arm and a leg. That is the main reason I went with the Rhino mount. However, it is working just fine for me.

Admittedly, I have not used the Wilcox mount, so I don't know what I am missing. However, the Norotos does eveything I want it to. I have no trouble positioning the NVD so it is comfortable and provides a full FOV. I have never felt like I needed to make a adjustment, and was limited by the mount. My goal here was to avoid using the rediculous headstrap that came with the PVS-14. This is 1000x better.

I paid $50 for the mount and used the j-arm that came with the NVD. If I had gone Wilcox, I would have had to buy a new j-arm and the mount, which would have been $500+. It would ahve to be a lot better to make up that difference for me, and maybe it is, but this is working for me so far.