• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Head Set HELP

CalebFuller78

Private
Minuteman
I'm looking for a tactical radio system. It needs to support up to 15 people I don't know anything about radios. I want a head set to attach to a two way (I think) via a push to talk system. I've heard of Peltor but I don't want to spend a ton of money and be disappointed. Also the headset needs to be able to attach to either a Team Wendy Exfil helmet or ops core BASE jump (I'm still deciding). Any help will be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peltor Comtac ACH will integrate with either of the helmets mentioned. The PTT that comes with the ACH is for the MBITR. You'll have to but an aftermarket radio-specific PTT from somebody like SRS Tactical. The run around $150.

For radio options MURS or GMRS radios are your only choice. Ham band radios have more output, but FCC regs prevent codes or other encryption, plus all users have to get licensed. MURS is VHF and limited to 2W. No license required. GMRS is limited to 5W and a no-test license is required. Codes or encryption is also prohibited on MURS and GMRS. The only way to use codes to obscure meanings is to use FRS radios, most of which are crap. A couple of good radio recommendations are the Icom F4S (GMRS/FRS), Motorola RDM 2080 (MURS), or Icom F21GM (GMRS/FRS). eBay is your friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can use code, obfuscation, and encryption on ham bands but it requires that the keys and meanings be publicly available. This is not highly recommended, but it is not illegal.

My recommendation would be to put forth the time and effort to get licensed ( I got general on my first try) and then pick up some used Motorola, Icom, or other commercial radio and get the programmed to a few channels in the ham band for your group to use. This will not be the cheap option, but they will stand up to about any abuse you can throw at them and the actual radio parts of them generally are much better.

I currently use VX-170's and hx-370s radios by Yeasu and Vertex Standard (same company, Ham/Commercial faces) with waterproof speaker mics. I am waiting for a good deal on headsets. I have a few "channels" that I use with my friends that are hams and we all have them stored so we can reference that faster.

I have a standing offer with my friends that are not hams. I have two of the training books that I loan to people willing and I pay for their first test ($15). Only about 5 of them have taken me up on it so far though.

Yes the FRS radios could work (GMRS is $85 a person for 5 years.... Ham is better) but the range is horrible and you are stuck with the antennas that they come with.

You can use code, obfuscation, and encryption on ham bands but it requires that the keys and meanings be publicly available. This is not highly recommended, but it is not illegal.

My recommendation would be to put forth the time and effort to get licensed ( I got general on my first try) and then pick up some used Motorola, Icom, or other commercial radio and get the programmed to a few channels in the ham band for your group to use. This will not be the cheap option, but they will stand up to about any abuse you can throw at them and the actual radio parts of them generally are much better.

I currently use VX-170's and hx-370s radios by Yeasu and Vertex Standard (same company, Ham/Commercial faces) with waterproof speaker mics. I am waiting for a good deal on headsets. I have a few "channels" that I use with my friends that are hams and we all have them stored so we can reference that faster.

I have a standing offer with my friends that are not hams. I have two of the training books that I loan to people willing and I pay for their first test ($15). Only about 5 of them have taken me up on it so far though.

Yes the FRS radios could work (GMRS is $85 a person for 5 years.... Ham is better) but the range is horrible and you are stuck with the antennas that they come with.

Not to get off topic, but FCC Part 97.113(a)(4) states that the following are prohibited:

messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning, except as otherwise provided herein

The exception provided herein is for the encryption of satellite control commands. So things like, "Blue 3, Blue 1, move, set, Chevy" or "Target, TRP Alpha" would technically be prohibited. Whether anybody actually does anything about it is another story. The other issue is that you must identify with your amateur call sign every 10 minutes or at the end of a transmission.

The Icom IC-21GM is really the best bet. They're user-programmable, built to commercial standards, and have removable antennas. They're not in production anymore, but you can find them on eBay for a reasonable price. The next best bet is to go to Red Dog Radio and buy the Icom F4S. Tom refurbishes them and stands behind them. As BionicSniper said, GMRS is only $85 for 5 years, but the license covers your entire "family", whoever that might be.

I use a Motorola HT 1000 which is readily available on eBay for around $50. Attatched to it, I have the Peltor Comtac II headset. For the HT 1000 to work with the Comtac II, you have to use the Peltor PTT #FL5018-02. I have the Comtacs attatched to my Ops Core FAST helmet via rail adaptors. If you go with a system similar to mine, I would suggest getting a antenna relocation kit from TCI. It will attatch directly to the HT 1000. I wear my radio on my PC on my left side and, before I got the relocation kit, my antenna was always sticking me under my arm. As I said before, the HT 1000 is readily available, cheap, reliable, and bulletproof. I agonized over a communication system for about 2 months before I decided on my system and have been extremely happy with my choices.