• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

head stamp questions

tobylazur

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2007
I'm just getting into reloading for my .308, so I sorted a bunch of brass I've saved/collected. I've got a few different head stamps that I'd like a little info on:

R - P (top of case)
308 WIN (bottom of case)

F C
308 WIN

BHA MATCH
308 WIN

HORNADY
308 MATCH

a circle with a cross
L C 0 4

I figure the F C is federal, BHA is black hills, Hornady is self explanitary, R - P is probably Remington(?), and the one with the cross is possibly lake city?

Should I keep any of these seperate from each other?

Thanks for any help.

Re: head stamp questions

R-P is Remington. Good quality.

F C is Federal. I use it, some hate it. Load it hot and primer pockets may loosen after a few times reloaded.

BHA is Black Hills. No experience.

I head the Hornady is high quality, but never personally used it.

The cross is a NATO cross and LC stands for Lake City. 04 is the year of manufacture. I love LC brass, but I always back off my powder charge 10%. LC brass consists of thicker walls which reduces capacity some. Reduced capacity equals higher pressure. Also, make sure that if the primers are crimped that you remove them(the crimps).

I always keep my brass separated. Differences in thickness equals difference in capacity which can drastically change pressure.

Re: head stamp questions

is there any truth that federal is remington brass?