• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headed to the Smoky Mts on Vacay

J-Ham

Aquamarine Team
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Whitefish, MT
    Got some vacation days I have to use up so since Tennessee is one of the few states in the Midwest with any sense, girlfriend & I are heading there for about a week. I'm 40ish, she's 30ish, both in good shape. Any hikes or sights in the Smoky Mountains that we just have to see? Places to eat in & around Gatlinburg? Fun things to do?

Thanks gents, as always, appreciate the discerning nature of the Hide membership.

Last edited:
    We did the same last year. Pigeon Forge is super cheesy touristy. Gatlinburg is not as bad. We did the typical sightseeing - Clingman's Dome, Cades Cove, stop offs and random trails, etc and it was ok. Best part of the trip was booking a fly fishing guide in Cherokee, NC. We don't do much fly fishing down here in LA so it was a completely new experience for me. We had a blast. The only standout food I can remember was a restaurant called The Greenbrier in Gatlinburg.

Reactions: J-Ham
    Definitely check out the distilleries; Sugarland was one of the best. Davy Crockett restaurant was good and fast. There is a restaurant, I can’t remember it’s name, that you can literally go outback of it, catch a trout or two, and they prepare it for you how you want it (and plenty of other spots to fish).

Run down to Maggie Valley and check out Wheels Through Time. A very unique motorcycle museum. They will actually start those old bikes and ride them around inside. Call and see if they are open. North Carolina is on a different set of rules.

Got some vacation days I have to use up so since Tennessee is one of the few states in the Midwest with any sense, girlfriend & I are heading there for about a week. I'm 40ish, she's 30ish, both in good shape. Any hikes or sights in the Smokey Mountains that we just have to see? Places to eat in & around Gatlinburg? Fun things to do?

Thanks gents, as always, appreciate the discerning nature of the Hide membership.
    Go to East Tenn. Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg. This is the Smoky Mountains, almost Heaven.

TN is Midwest now? The way everything else is headed, why not.
    Here's how I do continental geography... West coast, Rockies, Midwest & east coast... Admittedly, the 'Midwest' may be slightly over-represented, haha!

Thanks dudes, great info so far!

It's west of the continental divide, so you've got that.

Some of the GSMNP is still not open, so plan accordingly. The parts that are open will be crowded. If you are going to be in the Gatlinburg area, The Peddler has good steaks.

If youre from Montana the mts in Tennessee well seem pretty tame. Much older and weathered but beautiful just the same. Nows a good time as everything is turning green.

-Take a ride south on rte 441 to Cherokee. Much quieter than Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

-Bud's Gun Shop is in Sevierville. If theyre open, and Id call ahead, they have a state of the art shooting range and you can rent all kinds of firearms, maybe even full auto. Definitely on my to do list.

Totally forgot, shameless plug, but extended family owns an Amish market in Bulls Gap called Yoders. It has a deli, fresh baked goods and sweets, and some of the best sandwiches around and a lot of it is made right there in house. It’s worth the drive.

Totally forgot, shameless plug, but extended family owns an Amish market in Bulls Gap called Yoders. It has a deli, fresh baked goods and sweets, and some of the best sandwiches around and a lot of it is made right there in house. It’s worth the drive.

Didnt know there was more than one Yoder's. I wonder if its a franchise or extended family thing. We have one just north of me here in Virginia.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Nothing wrong with plugging a place you know, sounds awesome. As usual, the Hide comes through. Thanks a ton guys.

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is worth a stop. Biggest knife shop in the country and they sell guns too. They have something like 4 floors of displays. Spent 2 hours in the place and I didn’t see half the stuff they sell.
    Oh great, and I actually happen to think I need a new fixed blade right about now... I can already see the GF just smiling & shaking her head, haha!

Reactions: Arc Light
    Oh great, and I actually happen to think I need a new fixed blade right about now... I can already see the GF just smiling & shaking her head, haha!

I came close to buying a Microtech OTF knife I’ve been wanting forever while their. My wife even told me to go for it. My practical side stepped in and I didn’t. Still regret it as I haven’t found the exact knife again. Don’t make the same mistake;)

I came close to buying a Microtech OTF knife I’ve been wanting forever while their. My wife even told me to go for it. My practical side stepped in and I didn’t. Still regret it as I haven’t found the exact knife again. Don’t make the same mistake;)
    I know what you mean. Worst part about my situation is that SHE is supposed to be the voice on reason but instead she's always like, 'Well if you really want it, you better get it', haha!

Reactions: Arc Light
    Used to live in Knoxville, I have way too much time spent in that AO. Biggest suggestion I have is head to the south side for solitude, north side for attractions. There’s way too many trails to name, AllTrails is your best guide for that.

Second SMKW, you actually get to finger fuck nearly any knife there before buying. Good prices and a very knowledgeable staff as well. Bring anything you want sharpened with you, especially any abused knives, they do a great job for a fair price.

I've hit just about every trail in the Smokies. My favorite is Ramseys Cascades. Mt. Leconte on Alum Cave trail as well as Rainbow Falls to the top of LeConte are good trails. If you hit them right when you get to the top you can see the Alpaca train that brings the food up. Clingmans Dome is drive up but the view is nice and Chimney top is also a very nice view.

Abrams falls is very nice, though busy and the drive in through Cades Cove is enough to drive a fucker insane. That said, if the Harriers are hunting the field on the way in stop and watch. It's pretty awesome watching Raptors hunt. The otters that live by the bridge are pretty neat too. Hen Wallow falls if decent. Grotto falls is cool but I hiked that when it was frozen so it was neat.

Like Redman said, there are a shitload of good trails. We just got sick of the traffic and started going to Asheville, which is just a few hours away.

There are enough trails that you could stay on trail sun up to sun down but be ready for a shit load of 70 year old drivers on single lane roads.

Consider Chattanooga next time . Trails are just as good. Much younger city and way less touristy. The Smokies are worth the trip though. I think you'll have a good time.

Last edited:
    Got some vacation days I have to use up so since Tennessee is one of the few states in the Midwest with any sense, girlfriend & I are heading there for about a week. I'm 40ish, she's 30ish, both in good shape. Any hikes or sights in the Smoky Mountains that we just have to see? Places to eat in & around Gatlinburg? Fun things to do?

You are real close to me. Head south east from Gatlinburg into SC. Get on highway 11 head south to the wonderful city of Valhalla. Spend a day on the river at my place. I'll cook. Food is on me. You gotta cover drinks.😁

Seriously. Shoot me a PM if y'all are up for it or just want to stop by.

E

Cummins falls is pretty cool. Unfortunately there was a shit ton of people when we was there. It is a few mile hike down the river. You can actually climb the wallerfall and stand in the falling water. It was a fun experience. Definitely need water shoes or shoes you dont mind getting wet

Do some horseback riding, ziplining, helicopter ride, whitewater rafting. Check out ripleys aquarium. Its pretty good.
    my cousin is part owner of the concession at the top of the chair lift. Ride up and have a drink or icecream. Look down on gatlinburg
    Apple barn in pigeon forge has some pretty good deserts. Any of the pancake houses for breakfast. And the usual touristy shit.

Didnt know there was more than one Yoder's. I wonder if its a franchise or extended family thing. We have one just north of me here in Virginia.
    There’s a lot of Yoder’s and who knows lol they may be long lost family who got outta Lancaster

Exactly! We call the Amtrak train that runs from Chicago to Seattle the Amish Pipeline for a reason, haha!

I am 20 minutes from Sevierville, SMKW and the area.

Feel free to pm me with any questions. Or if you need help with anything let me know.

Bulls Gap. The common joke around here is if anyone asks for directions to Bulls Gap is to say. About two inches below the cows tail.

Their homemade sourdough bread is killer. Also the breakfast ham is the best.
    Their new store is closer to the interstate and it's really brought up the business they do. When they were in the old store I would have short conversation with the mom and pop. IIRC he died a short time after moving into the new place and I don't see her there now.
    Great place and good people.

Joe’s Crab Shack is good food but pricey. It is right at the entrance to Tanger Outlet stores. Basically Tanger is a few hundred stores clustered together. You can generally find good prices there but you have to walk around to find them.

The “As Seen on TV” stores are a must for anyone visiting

Buddy’s BBQ is decent food for the price. Mellow Mushroom has good food as well.

Avoid the Wood Grill Buffett. Unless it had changed it is absolutely the worst place I have ever ate.

J Floyd’s Golf and Guns is a small hole in the wall but they have a decent selection and prices are not bad.

If you are into cars check out Floyd’s Muscle Car museum. It has a lot of nice and rare cars.

Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a gun store inside. You can definitely find sone deals in there. They carry almost everything you could ever want. In the same parking lot is Buds Gun Shop. No deals to be had at Buds but they do have an indoor range where you can rent guns including machine guns.

Drive down to the road leading to Dollywood. Park then walk back into town for a mile, cross the road and walk back. Plenty of attractions for adults and kids along the strip.

It's west of the continental divide, so you've got that.
    At first I thought you were tellin’ tall tales, as I’ve driven over the C Divide in Montana. Turns out there’s half a dozen or so in North America. For all my interest in geography, I hade no idea. Learned something today!
    71F0F53A-B4E6-4592-BA03-1D177A2D4297.png

Reactions: FatBoy and Maggot
    Bulls Gap. The common joke around here is if anyone asks for directions to Bulls Gap is to say. About two inches below the cows tail.

Their homemade sourdough bread is killer. Also the breakfast ham is the best.
    Their new store is closer to the interstate and it's really brought up the business they do. When they were in the old store I would have short conversation with the mom and pop. IIRC he died a short time after moving into the new place and I don't see her there now.
    Great place and good people.
    Their ham sandwich they made me for lunch with that fresh sourdough and ham was to die for. And those whoopie pies were downright dangerous. Their my wife’s kin and we’re past due for a trip back that ways, and prolly do some fishing with them.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    OP, I finally remembered (had it written in crayon here someplace). English Mountain Trout Farm in Sevierville. You can go out back, catch your dinner, and they will clean and cook it for you.

From i40 take the Waterville rd exit. Cross over the pigeon river. Take a left. Go past the power company and follow gravel rd to chestnut branch trailhead. Hike chestnut branch trail to Appalachian trail to mt cammerer tower trail and back to car. 12 miles round trip. Good views from the tower.

For the epic big day continue from the tower trail south on the Appalachian trail to newfound gap hwy 441. Right at 30ish miles from the trailhead. good views and good trail.

From i40 take the Waterville rd exit. Cross over the pigeon river. Take a left. Go past the power company and follow gravel rd to chestnut branch trailhead. Hike chestnut branch trail to Appalachian trail to mt cammerer tower trail and back to car. 12 miles round trip. Good views from the tower.

For the epic big day continue from the tower trail south on the Appalachian trail to newfound gap hwy 441. Right at 30ish miles from the trailhead. good views and good trail.
    Didnt there used or still a campground up there??
    Went up that way after we put the rafts in to raft the pigeon several years ago. IIrc

Gentlemen, thank you SO much for all the good intel, it's much appreciated! Like you guys, I always hate flying into these tourist traps blind, but I know there's legit stuff to see... Otherwise it wouldn't be a tourist trap, haha! I'm feeling a lot better about getting off the beaten path & away from all the idiots that will likely be around. Perhaps this year they all stay in though.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Gentlemen, thank you SO much for all the good intel, it's much appreciated! Like you guys, I always hate flying into these tourist traps blind, but I know there's legit stuff to see... Otherwise it wouldn't be a tourist trap, haha! I'm feeling a lot better about getting off the beaten path & away from all the idiots that will likely be around. Perhaps this year they all stay in though.
    You’ll have a good time. If you go to Sugarland at the right time you may see some of the cast from Moonshiners, and be careful with their hooch it’ll get you.

Lots of good hikes off the Cades Cove loop in the park and a ton of good hikes in general anywhere in the park.

I have not read this whole thread, so I don’t know if it’s been suggested yet, but white water rafting the Ocoee River is almost a must. It’s an awesome river. It’s where the 96 Olympics white water rafting competition was held.

I was a commercial rafting guide out west for 3 years... Having seen & worked with many guides, I pretty much decided I'd never go rafting from the other side of the counter, haha!

Plenty to see in the Gatlinburg area. Greta food at Paula Deen's Family Kitchen in Pigeon Forge.

Since you are that far already, come to asheville and see the biltmore house. Not sure it's open yet but the grounds are.
    Other guys have give you some great pointers.
    I'd say hollar on your way to Biltmore and I'll buy you dinner, but I doubt Herr Cooper will allow that before June 1st.

@armorpl8chikn , knowing that the grounds are at least open, we'll definitely check out Biltmore! I'm in Illinois at present & we've got our own Herr Pritzker here, I hear ya... Funny how Trump's the Nazi though. :ROFLMAO:

I could order in el que pasa and you could come by the house, best I can do. You can almost see Biltmore from my house...i mean if them 12 miles of mountains was prairie.