• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Heading north to Alaska

Knife

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2004
Madison, AL
Well I got a job in Delta Junction AK, and I am moving up there next month. I was wondering if a .300 WM is enough for moose and bear. If not what would some of ya'll more expericened Alaska hunters use. Never hunting anything bigger than a whittail before, so I am in need of some good advice.

Re: Heading north to Alaska

You are just fine. 7mm-08 will drop a moose, natives in the bush use 243 & 30.30.

Bears are not that tuff either.

Drop a line if you need more info or help.

300 is good but a 338 is better yes you can shoot moose with 7-08 but i would not try it at 500 yds and that is big country. i shot my moose at 628 yds. in neck with 300wms custom gun. i have hunted goat, dall, black bear, moose, caribou, all with my 300 wsm shooting 168gr barnes triple shock. but would not even thing about brown or grizzly with it. also make sure you get up there before dec 31st and get driver lic. so your residency starts in 09 because many people do not realize the resideny starts with calender year that means you must be there for one calender year

also make sure it is a stainless rifle with synthetic stock