• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heads up-heavy Federal 6.5 CM brass

bobke

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2010
    Hill Country, Texas
    Picked up a few discarded Federal 6.5 CM brass at the range the other day, and they struck me as heavy. 172.6-173.8-173.9 grains. While no surprise to see heavier Federal brass, thought I’d throw a heads up to all the newer members or others who’ve just begun loading for the 6.5 CM. At a minimum, you’ll be doing yourself a big service to segregate your brass by headstamp and at least weigh a few to assure weights are within an acceptable tolerance.
    My normal Hornady brass runs around 147-153gr, and I do sort in 2 grain increments, but a 20+ grain heavier case is bound to be trouble if you’re not aware of the variance. Know this is redundant for most of us, but thought worthy of a cautionary mention. 7D78F71F-76B0-4DFD-99FB-0E3165D7D779.jpegDDBD7541-212C-40E7-8CE8-8FB569BBB181.jpeg

Last edited:
    And to further help newer members/reloaders, that heavier weight means less volume for your powder in the case. And less volume in the case means higher pressure. That big of difference will wreck havoc with your shooting results AND might even be dangerous if you happen to be loading the lighter cases to a max and then put that same size load into the heavier cases having less volume.

Reactions: bobke
    Sounds like a cruncy situation ensues.

Thanks for the heads up.

New 6.5cm close to finnished, more inletting and sanding, barrel still raw and a pair of pillars going in tomorrow.

Anyway thought of using starline brass after break in with range brass.

Anyone have thoughts on that brass?

Can’t comment on Starline rifle brass-only their handgun brass, but if you go with it, get enough of same lot that you can work with it continuously for a long duration. If you’re picking up range brass for break in-6.5 CM is pretty scarce of any headstamp-start over with the Starline and work up as normal. What Federal I’ve seen is usually around 160+ grains, as is Winchester. Most Hornady 150ish, +\- 3-4 grains.

Reactions: Snuby642
    I too have seen the heavier Federal brass.

The headstamp is a bit different. I forget which is which but one is bolder than the other.

I believe the difference lies in Federal subcontracting 6.5 CM to Hornady before making their own. One of the two Federal versions, the earlier I would bet, is almost exactly the weight of Hornady brass.

A good thing to pay attention to if loading beyond minimum.

Reactions: Snuby642