• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heads Up, LaRue LT171-VFZ won't work on Atlas

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
Just so others don't have to discover this on their own, the LT171 mount with the new VFZ connector will not work well on the Atlas Bipod.

I got one in today and the LT171 bolts easily onto the Atlas and is rock solid, however the new VFZ locking system uses a bolt instead of a QD lever. The bolt is above the atlas mount section and you cannot use the included wrench to tighten it...it cannot get to the bolt. You could probably use an open ended wrench, but it would be tight.

Pictures are better to see what I am talking about. Posted below.

Called LaRue and am swapping out for a LT171-QD which should work fine. So even if you are tempted to try the new VFZ mount option, don't do it if you are going t use the LT171 on an atlas. Get the QD option.

IMG_0336.jpg

Here is the bolt for the VFZ
IMG_0338.jpg

Another angle, you can see ho close the bolt is to the Atlas base
IMG_0335.jpg

Here is the attempt to get the Larue wrench over the bolt -it is a no go
IMG_0334.jpg

Hope that saves someone some return shipping.
madd0c

Re: Heads Up, LaRue LT171-VFZ won't work on Atlas

Go to Sears and get an open ended wrench that fits and drive on .

Well that's a shame to hear. I am still not entirely sure what Mark and company intend to do with the Vectored Force Zero mounts like this because the entirety of their business has been premised on their high quality, return to zero capable QD mounts/rings/etc. I guess if you don't need fast/immediate QD capability and don't mind carrying a 3/8 wrench around they have a place.

C. Ward, I did say an open ended wrench would probably work, but it is still not as easy to get to as I would like. Nice to throw the Larue wrench in the stockpack and forget about it unless you need it.

I think the QD will be fine, I just actually wanted to try out there VFZ mount and discovered this while doing so. I am sure it is still a great mount, just not what I want on this Atlas currently.

madd0c

If I were to go this route I would probably just cut the end off the LaRue wrench and throw it in the tool pack. If that bothers you, I am sure you could get LaRue to sell you a spare.

I am REAL interested in the VFZ system on mounts where I don't need the levers, just the unitized mount.

This may be just the trick for LaRue to sell their rings to the precision rifle crowd.

The Larue wrench won't work with the QD LT-171 either bc of the same issue. I just use an open ended wrench. LoneWolf gives a good option too.

I wouldn't cut the LaRue wrench since it is stamped and it would weaken it and the jaws will spread . Probably look at an ignition wrench for clearance .

The idea of the VFZ mount is that you do not intend to take off the part once installed. So, I would thik you would tighten down the VFZ nut with a small open end wrench and forget about it. I put an LT-171 with throw lever on my Atlas. I had to use a small open ended wrench to adjust the throw lever tension. Once I got the right pressure on the throw lever, no need to fool with it again. This issue is really not a problem to worry about. I think the quality and function of the LaRue Lt-171 on the Atlas far outweighs the hassle of having to use a small open ended wrench.

I've not seen heard of this mount before but it would seem the application is other than for quick, tool-less on/off of gear and maybe absolute return to zero(?). Again I do not know the designed purpose/application. But as it apparently does take a tool, I'm lost to the application on the Atlas bipod when the standard BT10 Atlas will mount to the rail using anything flat (ie. flat screwdriver).