• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"HEADSPACE" and the Ruger RPR

copterdrvr

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Lafayette, Looziana
I think old timers disease might be kicking in but I don't remember reading about the "real" science and headspace in the RPR.

I've read about folks pulling their aftermarket barrels to apply shims and this is where my question comes in and the following is based on assumptions-hell, I don't have anything else to do!!!! ?

I'm fairly confident that based on the price of the rifle, the barrels come off the barrel manufacturing line as a finished product and the bolts come off their assembly line as a finished product-well, almost for the bolt.

Both the barrel face and the bolt face appear to me to have an "assembly line" finished appearance and not one that's had any time spent on them being "fine-tuned"......

However there's one and ONLY one very small area on either component of the Ruger Precision Rimfire that shows ANY evidence of a finer level of machining AND it is machining that was done AFTER the bolt was finished and appropriate parts blued. It is the very small area that makes up the back side of the base of the bolt handle.

The bolt handle is the "lug" that determines the actual mechanical headspace of the Ruger RPR and any "fitting" done at the factory during final assembly appears to ME to be the very small area that makes up the contact point between the rear of the base of the bolt handle and the front of the notch in the receiver that the bolt handle rests in when the bolt is in battery.

I'm really looking for comments from machinists who have hands on experience with the rifle and have had the opportunity to look at the machining of the barrel face, bolt face and back side of bolt handle.....

Does this all sound correct?

Before I get on to my questions, I'll wait for some comments.

Thanks for the replies,

Copterdrvr

Last edited: