• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace / CBTO comparator advice

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I am wanting to upgrade from my Hornady set. I see SAC mentioned a lot but what about the Area 419? Their setup looks mighty slick as well. Pros/cons between the two?

I have and like the SACS but the 419 model with the stand so there are no fat thumbs applying different pressure to the calipers is appealing

Have both. Both are very nice. If you are strictly using it as comparator only and not an actual measurement tool (the 419 shoulder inserts are datum gauges), then the SAC is slightly less prone to needing to make sure you get it seating right. Since the SAC just encompasses the the entire shoulder and basically squares it up by default.

If you want to be able to take actual datum measurements, the 419 comes that way standard. But you can buy SAC datum inserts as well.

As mentioned above, the stand with the 419 is very convenient. I'm currently looking for a wired or wireless display output for calipers just because I'm tired of reading the numbers vertically on their side and we use the tool a lot for our ammo services.

You really can't go wrong with either.

Completely forgot about the funnel. We have that and while as mentioned, the stand is expensive, it's ereally convenient.

I like the fitment on case so well that I position the funnel under the Prometheus funnel when using that scale.

Reactions: simonp
Anyone know if the Area 419 stand would work with the SAC kit? Otherwise I got some metal impregnated PLA (for a bit more heft) and will have to try and 3D print one

As far as the original question, I am happy with my SAC comparator set. It works well but for me it took a bit of learning to be able to get consistent measurements with it. I suspect mounting it vertical like the area 419 kit would help with this considerably. An 'anvil' made a big difference as well. I bought one of these and am happy with it: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...es-22-00-shipped.7060720/page-2#post-10781277

Anyone know if the Area 419 stand would work with the SAC kit? Otherwise I got some metal impregnated PLA (for a bit more heft) and will have to try and 3D print one

As far as the original question, I am happy with my SAC comparator set. It works well but for me it took a bit of learning to be able to get consistent measurements with it. I suspect mounting it vertical like the area 419 kit would help with this considerably. An 'anvil' made a big difference as well. I bought one of these and am happy with it: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...es-22-00-shipped.7060720/page-2#post-10781277

Bullet comparators in general always take a bit of finesse to use consistently. It's very easy to have inconsistent measurements without do much differently. The bullet will easily seat deeper into the comparator.

I'll try the SAC in the 419 stand, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.