• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Headspace Issue

Westtexan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have an FN Action with controlled feed.. I purchased an FN Takeoff barrel for the action.. Had to take .oo1 off of the shoulder of the barrel to get it indexed correctly. The go guage went in fine but so did the no go guage. I found out that I have .007 too much headspace. What is the easiest to fix this? would it be easier to take .007 off the face of the action? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.. since I do not have a mill.....

Re: Headspace Issue

In a given caliber there are three headspace gauges. Go, no-go and field. They get larger in that order. Go is minimum, no-go is maximum, and field is unsafe. Idealy the bolt will close on a go but not on the no-go. In practise it can close on the no-go and still be perfectly safe to shoot. You don't want it to close on a field gauge. That is when "adjustment" is needed.

If "adjustment" is needed it is done to the barrel to shorten the chamber and allow the barrel to seat further into the action.

I had to add .007 to the no go for the bolt not to close... since the barrel is notched for the ejector on the bolt it complicates things... if I take ,007 off of the shoulder, the notch will end up where the bullet feeds into the chamber...

Can you reface the breach and shoulder to allow the barrel to screw in one full turn more and time correctly, then you could ream the chamber and set the headspace correctly

That is something I thought about... One full turn looks to be about .050 I will look at it tomorrow and see about that. I appreciate the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Westtexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much longer is a field guage than a no go on a 308? </div></div>

IIRC .003" but from what you said at .007" over No-go that rifle is unsafe until the barrel gets redone.

Will there be enough space between the bolt and breech face if he goes another full turn in?

I dont know if there would be... That is why I thought taking .007 off of the action would be the easiest way to do it. If not I am going to have to go in quite a bit and then re-ream which is going to mess up the chrome inside and probably eat the reamer...

One of the rules Jim has taught me (be it cars, bikes, or guns) always fix the cheapest part. If you screw up a barrel, you're out a barrel. Wreck an action and... well, you get it.

Westtexan,

If you take it off the barrel or the action, either way, the extractor will no longer line up. The ONLY thing to do is to shorten the barrel one full turn, Deepen the extractor cut to match and re-chamber. Since your barrel is chrome lined, you will not have this option as it will ruin your reamer....

Not much you can do at this point.

PS, Im in Monahans, just a hop skip and jump from you.

Well I went ahead and turned the barrel down one full turn, recut part of the groove and rechambered... Its shooting 1/2" moa at 2ooyds... Also... the reamer is still just like new..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunjunkieM24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Westtexan,

If you take it off the barrel or the action, either way, the extractor will no longer line up. The ONLY thing to do is to shorten the barrel one full turn, Deepen the extractor cut to match and re-chamber. Since your barrel is chrome lined, you will not have this option as it will ruin your reamer....

This is the kind of stuff that leads to confusion. The guy is talking Mauser, it does NOT have a cut for the extractor in the barrel.

</div></div>

It does have a cut in barrel for the extractor to fit into.. It is the old controlled feed bolt from the pre 64 actions...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundoktr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunjunkieM24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Westtexan,

</div></div>

This is the kind of stuff that leads to confusion. The guy is talking Mauser, it does NOT have a cut for the extractor in the barrel.
</div></div>

Who was talking Mauser? I think everyone's been talking about the controlled round feed FN SPR actions.

Great to hear West texan.

I am glad the reamer survived. I have not had any luck cutting chrome lined barrels, mainly tried the M14 barrels back a few years ago, ruined my reamer within seconds.

Anyhow, Glad everything worked out.

Question:

Are you certain that it's .007? If so fine. If not completely sure here's a trick:

Plop the GO in there and cut off a little piece of soft solder. Dab it on the bolt with grease and then clam everything up. It'll close hard, but not so hard as to hurt anything.

Then pull the bolt and measure the "smoosh" on the solder. This will give you a "no chit" dimension.

Good luck.

C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question:

Are you certain that it's .007? If so fine. If not completely sure here's a trick:

Plop the GO in there and cut off a little piece of soft solder. Dab it on the bolt with grease and then clam everything up. It'll close hard, but not so hard as to hurt anything.

Then pull the bolt and measure the "smoosh" on the solder. This will give you a "no chit" dimension.

Good luck.

C </div></div>

That would work similar to Plastigage to check engine clearances, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That would work similar to Plastigage to check engine clearances, right? </div></div>

Yes, except you'd be measuring the actual thickness of the crushed piece, as opposed to the width produced by crushing the piece, as you do with Plastigage.

-matt