• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Headspace problem on Mauser 98k

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Was not sure about posting this here or on the Vintage forum but...here goes:

Some considerable time ago I placed an order with a reputable company for a refurbished byf'43 Mauser 98k barrelled action to be fitted with a repro LSR side mount and fitted into a refurbished, original vintage stock.

I heard nothing and the original promised lead time came and went.

Eventually I got an update on progress advising me that a problem had arisen with headapace that was not present before work started.

Maybe it is just my ignorance but, given that there was no work required on the barrel, chamber or bolt, I'm struggling to get a grip on how such a problem just pops up from nowhere.

I am starting to think "BS!"

Can any qualified gunsmith advise how/why/whether drilling and tapping the receiver sidewall or fitting the action into a stock could/should/would impact on the headspace of a rifle that has lasted 70 years with no apparent problem in this area?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/comments

Re: Headspace problem on Mauser 98k

None of those modifications would affect the headspace. I think it is completely possible that the rifle had a headspace issue all along. Surplus rifles often wind up with mismatched parts which can lead to swallowing a go gauge.