• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspace/Shoulder Bump question

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I have been loading for quite some time now for rifles and handgun. My question is:

Are the RCBS Precision Mic and the Hornady LNL Comparator worth the money spent. I understand the RCBS is caliber specific but it looks better constructed. In my past reloading I would set up my die per instructions in the box. Ive never had a problem but I am wondering if it is going to be worth the money to buy either of these. My rifle is a 243 and I use it for hunting as well as shooting steel out to about 1100 or so. I neck size until I need to bump the shoulder back also. Im looking for input from people that have used these. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes they are a valuable tool to have. They can tell you exactly how much you bump are are applying. You probably already know too much bump can eventually lead to premature case separation.

Unless you measure by means of a gauge you don't really know how much you're bumping back the shoulder and in the very worst case scenario you could be overworking the brass ultimately leading to case head separation. Ideally you want to bump the shoulder 0.002" back from fired in order to chamber easily. To do this you need a gauge, so yes it is a valuable tool for the reloader. I don't always use them but they are useful tools to have.

I have owned the RCBS precision mic in 2 calibers and sold both of them. I felt that they gave me subjective readings, as the thing could be forcibly screwed in with the case in there, throwing off the measurement. I have also owned the hornady comparator and sold that too. What I use now are:

Redding instant indicator - I love this piece of equipment. It is press mounted, and gives great measurements consistently. You can measure shoulder bump, cartridge length to the ogive, brass OAL, and bullet length to the ogive. I don't use it for the last 2. But mounted in a T7 turret, it is great because you can keep going back and forth between the comparator and the dies without removing the brass

Sinclair bullet seating depth tool - gives me the best repeatable measurement of the distance to the lands. Awesome tool, have used it on all of my rifles.

"In my past reloading I would set up my die per instructions in the box. Ive never had a problem..."

Die instructions are good enough for noobs to make functional ammo. BUT, if you get good match to your chamber that way it's pure luck... sounds like you've been lucky.

"... I am wondering if it is going to be worth the money to buy either of these. "

If your sized cases fit there's no way to make them any better. I doubt if more than maybe a quarter of all moderately active reloaders have such gages but I feel safe saying virtually all excellant hand loaders use them consistantly. But, if you use a gauge incorrectly or don't understand what you're looking for, no gauge is going to help anyway.

If you really want to KNOW what you're doing, the RCBS, Hornady or Innovative Technology's gauges are the only way to go. There is no "best"; each design type has its strengths and weaknesses and each one has its fans but they all work very well for the purpose they are made for.

I use the hornady comparator for 308 and 6.5 grendel and am very happy with them. I only size as much as I need to, .001 bump for .308 bolt and a .003-.004 for 6.5grendel AR semi.

The redding thing sounds interesting though

"In my past reloading I would set up my die per instructions in the box. Ive never had a problem..."

Die instructions are good enough for noobs to make functional ammo. BUT, if you get good match to your chamber that way it's pure luck... sounds like you've been lucky.

"... I am wondering if it is going to be worth the money to buy either of these. "

If your sized cases fit there's no way to make them any better. I doubt if more than maybe a quarter of all moderately active reloaders have such gages but I feel safe saying virtually all excellant hand loaders use them consistantly. But, if you use a gauge incorrectly or don't understand what you're looking for, no gauge is going to help anyway.

If you really want to KNOW what you're doing, the RCBS, Hornady or Innovative Technology's gauges are the only way to go. There is no "best"; each design type has its strengths and weaknesses and each one has its fans but they all work very well for the purpose they are made for.

+1. I got the headspace and ogive gauges just to make myself sleep better at night, but it was definitely money well spent.

I have the Hornady, RCBS Precision Mic and the IT Gauge. For bolt guns I prefer the IT Gauge when setting up my dies since it is consistent and accurate. For gas guns the RCBS Precision Mic is my preferred tool. Rarely use the Hornady gauge.