• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Headspace.

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
I have a R700 LA in 7 rem mag. I removed the factory barrel and installed a .300 prc remage. If I use the stock recoil lug, I should be able to reinstall the 7 rem mag barrel and have it headspace properly. Right? And if I red loctite the barrel nut to the remage barrel the headspace should be correct if I use the same recoil lug and swap barrels. Right?

Yes- on the shouldered barrel, and as long as the nut doesn't move and you torque them to the same specs then you would be good. It's still never a bad idea to double check after you do it though.

Yes, but always assume you are an idiot and CHECK IT. (nothing personal--better the KNOW than to ASSUME)

I've recently put red loctite on a couple barrel nuts. I put a witness mark on the barrel, the nut and the recoil lug so I know if anything moves. I don't even use a torque wrench to re-install, just tighten back up to my mark.
4C104A7F-674A-4103-A6BB-C715E36D6393.jpeg

Just my opinion here, but for about $70 you can get go/no-go gauges........just a little added insurance against blowing 1/2 your face off.

Reactions: Baron23
For the record I only make the witness marks after I have installed the barrel with headspace guages lol.

Scotch tape is a bout .002". stick 2 pieces to the back of a case and trim it flush. boom no-go gauge.

Scotch tape is a bout .002". stick 2 pieces to the back of a case and trim it flush. boom no-go gauge.
I would sure like to hear a little more on the scotch tape method for I can not find a set of gauges for 223 Rem in stock anywhere, I am getting ready to attempt to put an Origin and a Shilen Savage barrel together. This will be my first head spacing project so I am asking for some advice.

You can use live ammo as a go gauge. You then stick a piece of scotch tape on the back of the case to use as a no go gauge. The scotch tape is .002 thick. Try PT&G for gauges.

I would sure like to hear a little more on the scotch tape method for I can not find a set of gauges for 223 Rem in stock anywhere, I am getting ready to attempt to put an Origin and a Shilen Savage barrel together. This will be my first head spacing project so I am asking for some advice.
Scotch rape is just an easy adhesive shim to stick to the back of the gauge (or brass case). You can use anything. I use brass shim stock in various thicknesses for this, as its less squishy, and easily cut with scissors.

51145861-7237-4F51-B4A5-995567E8498D.jpeg
DB8B59FF-30B7-4603-8C30-80248AC3AB26.jpeg

Get the "Down and Dirty" set from Manson Reamers. $75 (not including shipping) for the Go, No-Go, Field.

The way the tape trick works- you put a layer (or 2) of scotch tape on the "case head" end of the Go gauge (increasing the length). This semi-simulates a No-Go gauge. No-go gauges are a somewhat arbitrary dimension between a Go (min headspace length) and a Field gauge (max headspace length). Some companies might make their No-Go 0.003" larger than their go, some might go 0.004" or insert any arbitrary number in between. It just has to be larger than the Go gauge, hence why you can make a pseudo-No-Go gauge. Failing a No-go gauge test is not the end of the world. It should not chamber a Field gauge (upper limit) which is the theoretical safety limit. You should not try to make a No-Go into a Field with the tape trick (safety reasons).

Last edited:
You can use live ammo as a go gauge. You then stick a piece of scotch tape on the back of the case to use as a no go gauge. The scotch tape is .002 thick. Try PT&G for gauges.
Just check , not in stock at PT&G
Please remove the firing pin and ejector first.
Have you seen any information on how to remove firing pin and ejector on an Origin?

Ya, simplest thing in the world. If you're still learning how to take down an Origin bolt (nothing wrong with that, we've all been there) you're probably not ready for a field expedient method of setting headspace on a Savage barrel. There are a few considerations to setting the headspace with a random factory cartridge that you need to think through. It requires a little bit of experience of how you want to set your dies up and what kind of headspace you want to run. Without that background experience I'd recommend you just go use the standard method with a proper set of gauges
Thanks, Yes I am still in the learning stage on many things when it comes to building a rifle for there are so many different thoughts when asking a question on others' opinions.

Yes, I have been reloading for 8 to 10 years for my Ruger, CZ, and Tikka. I just wanted to try and upgrade to a custom rifle.

Again Thanks for taking the time to help. I want to apply all I can when it comes to safety and get the best accuracy I can for both the rifle and the load.

For your origin just rotate the bolt shroud in a clockwise manner until the whole firing pin assembly cocking piece and shroud slide right of the back of the bolt. It is a toolless assembly and disassembly. The ejector is in the back of the action. It is not in the bolt. There's no need to remove it.

Ensure that when you are putting a piece of brass or a gauge on the bolt face that you slide it up the bolt face under the extractor from 6:00 to 12:00. Do not try to force a gauge onto the bolt head by closing the bolt in the chamber with it it will damage the extractor.

Are you going to reload ammo for this barrel or are you going to buy factory ammo?
Just removed and repla. the firing pin. Worked so smooth. Much easier than my CZ and about the same as a Ruger. Again thanks, you did your good deed for today.

You can use live ammo as a go gauge.
You then stick a piece of scotch tape on the back of the case to use as a no go gauge.
Where did this internet legend come from? Most US manufacturers produce brass that is anywhere from .002" to .004" LESS THAN SAAMI "Go gauge" specifications.

So adding tape puts you "where ???" in relation to No Go gauges?

Last edited:
Where did this internet legend come from? Most US manufacturers produce brass that is anywhere from .002" to .004" LESS THAN SAAMI "Go gauge" specifications.

So adding tape puts you "where ???" in relation to No Go gauges?
Doesn’t matter if it works with his ammo and he doesn’t get new different ammo that’s longer.

It may not be absolute but relative to his chamber it’ll be fine. (So long as his sizing die isn’t that much too long)