• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Headspacing Issue?

Kansas_Born

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Brownsburg, Indiana
Hey guys, I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag that I picked up in May. This is my second rifle (first is a Mosin Nagant) and I'm having some problems. My bolt is very difficult to close on rounds. It's so bad that I have to put a fair amount of weight into it just to get it closed up to shoot. I have only put 92 rounds through her with different manufacturers and grains with the same result. My buddies 700 in .308 closes like a dream. I have tried closing the bolt on spent brass with the same results. Does this sound like a headspace problem? Thanks in advance.

Re: Headspacing Issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansas_Born</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag that I picked up in May. This is my second rifle (first is a Mosin Nagant) and I'm having some problems. My bolt is very difficult to close on rounds. It's so bad that I have to put a fair amount of weight into it just to get it closed up to shoot. I have only put 92 rounds through her with different manufacturers and grains with the same result. My buddies 700 in .308 closes like a dream. I have tried closing the bolt on spent brass with the same results. Does this sound like a headspace problem? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

It sounds like a brass needs to be resized problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansas_Born</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I have a Remington 700 in 7mm mag that I picked up in May. This is my second rifle (first is a Mosin Nagant) and I'm having some problems. My bolt is very difficult to close on rounds. It's so bad that I have to put a fair amount of weight into it just to get it closed up to shoot. I have only put 92 rounds through her with different manufacturers and grains with the same result. My buddies 700 in .308 closes like a dream. I have tried closing the bolt on spent brass with the same results. Does this sound like a headspace problem? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

It sounds like a brass needs to be resized problem. </div></div>

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't that only be an issue with spent brass? Why would I have problems with factory unfired ammo?

If you are having issues with factory ammo, yes, you most likely have a headspace issue. Sounds like a call to Rem is in order...

Before you go calling up Remington and get yourself into a 3 year wait time on getting your rifle back...lets try some other things...

Is this a new rifle?

How is the smoothness of the bolt on an empty chamber?

Check your ejector... make sure it plunges up and down it the bolt-face smoothly.

Ensure your chamber and action lugs are squeky clean... Im talking swabs, q-tips, ect....

Ide personaly buy a 7mm Mag Headspace guage and see how your headspace checks out also. I dont think you reload based on the factory loads your shooting, but if you do, we can compare your fired brass to the SAAMI specifications for a 7MM Magnum...you will need calipers for this.

If you do have calipers and some of your once fired brass, we can walk you through this...
Untitled-5.jpg

As sad as it is, the LAST thing you want to do is send this back to Remington... You wont see it again for a while. Maybe a Remington supporting armorer in a gunshop somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you go calling up Remington and get yourself into a 3 year wait time on getting your rifle back...lets try some other things...

Is this a new rifle?

How is the smoothness of the bolt on an empty chamber?

Check your ejector... make sure it plunges up and down it the bolt-face smoothly.

Ensure your chamber and action lugs are squeky clean... Im talking swabs, q-tips, ect....

Ide personaly buy a 7mm Mag Headspace guage and see how your headspace checks out also. I dont think you reload based on the factory loads your shooting, but if you do, we can compare your fired brass to the SAAMI specifications for a 7MM Magnum...you will need calipers for this.

If you do have calipers and some of your once fired brass, we can walk you through this...
Untitled-5.jpg

As sad as it is, the LAST thing you want to do is send this back to Remington... You wont see it again for a while. Maybe a Remington supporting armorer in a gunshop somewhere. </div></div>

Thanks for the replys everyone. Yes, this is a new rifle. Purchased in May and have fired 92 rounds. The bolt cycles flawlessly while it's empty. I'll check the plunger and the lugs in a little while. I have all of my spent brass so I can get some calipers and check things out. I'll post results when I get them. Thanks again!

Edit: Ejector moves freely but is hard to press down with my finger. It doesn't feel sticky though, just hard to push. Lugs are clean. I'll get calipers tomorrow and post numbers.

Also, if you have a Remington supporting shop in your area, or if your willing to spend a few bucks online, you could remove your extractor and try chambering a spent case without it.

*You will have to replace your extractor with a new unit ($15.00) if you do remove it, these arent reuseable.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=m...l_700_extractor

When you close the bolt on a loaded chamber, are you pushing STRAIGHT down? Try foward/down. Dont go super-Popeye on it, you could break the bolt handle if you go overboard.

*Dirty chamber
*Seized extractor
*Dirty/seized ejector
*Insufficient headspace

The extractors for magnums are riveted in. You will need to get the tool to replace it. I don't know about the average wait for Remington, but I just sent mine in and got it back in ~3 weeks.

So I decided to call Remington on Monday, sent my rifle off to Tulsa on Tuesday. The guy at the shop said that they have seen several here recently with screwed up extractors/ejectors. Said it should be no more than three weeks. I like tinkering with things myself, but it's still under warranty and the guy at Remington was very helpful. Hopefully I get it back in working order in a timely fashion. Thanks for the suggestions!

Just wanted to update this. I received my rifle back from Remington yesterday (back and serviced in 1 week). The note on the rifle said that they adjusted the extractor, performed safety check, test fired and cleaned. Whatever the extractor issue was specifically, it is working as it is supposed to. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.