• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Health Insurance

mvphilly

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
NY
Are alot of you buying your own health insurance or covered by your job. Right now I am on the jobs health insurance but when I retire it will cost 1,368,00 per/mo. to maintain it. Anyone else experiencing the same high rates?

Are alot of you buying your own health insurance or covered by your job. Right now I am on the jobs health insurance but when I retire it will cost 1,368,00 per/mo. to maintain it. Anyone else experiencing the same high rates?
1,368,00 is that some kinda new math??
by the way I’m retired and on Shell oils retiree medical 750ish a monthe for me and the old lady……

• Haha
Reactions: 101st
Where are you located? PA I assume by your username.
I am retiring in a few months and even with working 5 months this year the premium for my wife and I will be about 1/3 of that and it will drop a bunch next year. Is the $1,368 the COBRA cost for just you (single)?

1,368,00 is that some kinda new math??
by the way I’m retired and on Shell oils retiree medical 750ish a monthe for me and the old lady……
Wrong decimal not new math LOL but still 1368.00 a month.

Reactions: 101st
73 and on medicare (165 p/m) and plan N ($90 p/m) so roughly $250 with full coverage, $200 deductible, and maximum $20 co pay. If you live long enough its a good deal. Only complaint is I wish it included dental. Fucking dentists make more than God. also pay AARP about $19 a month for a discount RX that gets me any prescription for $3-$4.

Where are you located? PA I assume by your username.
I am retiring in a few months and even with working 5 months this year the premium for my wife and I will be about 1/3 of that and it will drop a bunch next year. Is the $1,368 the COBRA cost for just you (single)?
No not PA even worse in NY. The $1,368 is the family plan.The whole plan is $38,000 per year and my employer will pick up approx 55% and I am responsible for the 45%.It is what they call a Platinum Plan but it's a crazy amount.

Find an insurance broker in NY that deals with the Obamacare program and have them get you pricing on the marketplace plans based on your expected future income.
It sounds like you are showing the price for "Alternative retiree coverage" which is retiree health plan coverage that some employers offer as an alternative to classic COBRA. Employers can contribute to the health care insurance cost under this alternative plan. With my employers COBRA plan I would pay the full premium. I do know that if I would stay with my employers COBRA plan it would be 4x what I will be getting it for.

Last edited:
My wife was wanting to retire about 18 months ago. She has insurance where she works. It was going to cost $1200 a month to put her on my work plan, and the Obamacare she checked on was going to cost about the same. She's still working at least until the end of this year.

No not PA even worse in NY. The $1,368 is the family plan.The whole plan is $38,000 per year and my employer will pick up approx 55% and I am responsible for the 45%.It is what they call a Platinum Plan but it's a crazy amount.
Wait...you have a family plan and you're retiring? Or are you planning retirement for some time in the future?