• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Protection Options

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've been in the market for some new hearing protection. Right now I have a set of Silencio Falcons which have worked well for the last 3 years, however the issue I have been running into is when I try to get good cheek weld, it causes them to come off my head and I loose the hearing protection. I have been looking for some in-the-ear style protection, but have been curious how well they fit and stay in. I do alot of 3-gun and tactical matches where theres alot of running around, jumping, diving, etc, so I need them to stay put. Anyone have advice on which ones to look at?
Edit: I forgot to mention I am looking for electronic ones.

Re: Hearing Protection Options

dont think yer gonna find much in the muff type for your uses and not have cheek weld issues. get a 10 dollar pair of surefires and be done with it

The surefires have never worked that well for me at rifle noise reduction. It might be that I am using an SJC comp but I prefer the muff style when shooting rifle. With that said I have never had a problem with Sordins or Peltor 6S when it comes to cheek weld or coming off due to running, jumping etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont think yer gonna find much in the muff type for your uses and not have cheek weld issues. get a 10 dollar pair of surefires and be done with it </div></div>

These are fine for me shooting 5.56 out of a 16" indoors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at the Surefires, but I dont think the NRR is enough for me. Right now, The Silencio's I have are at a 22 NRR, and the sound level is still a little uncomfortable with me in some situations </div></div>

I have shot my 18 inch OBR 308 with a brake with EP4's and it was very comfortable and I think they work great with pistols as well. This is shooting outdoors and even under cover. I didn't do this indoors though.

my surefire ep3 work great indoors and out, shooting shotgun, 45 kimber, 40 sig, or 30-06 savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been in the market for some new hearing protection. Right now I have a set of Silencio Falcons which have worked well for the last 3 years, however the issue I have been running into is when I try to get good cheek weld, it causes them to come off my head and I loose the hearing protection. I have been looking for some in-the-ear style protection, but have been curious how well they fit and stay in. I do alot of 3-gun and tactical matches where theres alot of running around, jumping, diving, etc, so I need them to stay put. Anyone have advice on which ones to look at?
Edit: I forgot to mention I am looking for electronic ones.</div></div>

Look up your local ear doctor(Audioligist(sp)). Tell them your looking for shooting plugs or protection. I went down their and they pour a mold of your ear. Then they ship the mold off to some place and they build ear plugs for you but there is this metal piece that they put in the middle that has a valve that somehow blocks bad sound but you can still hear. Buddy of mine who was a doctor had them. Work great. You can talk normal and still hear everything really good.

I'm not sure of the name of them but if you need help let me know and I can bug the audioligist for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MSA Sordins....with the silicon upgrades.

Vu </div></div>

+1 love my Sordins and never have an issue with cheek weld, if I'm shooting under cover or indoor I add a set of EP3 just for a little extra protection

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been looking for some in-the-ear style protection, but have been curious how well they fit and stay in. I do alot of 3-gun and tactical matches where theres alot of running around, jumping, diving, etc, so I need them to stay put. Anyone have advice on which ones to look at?
Edit: I forgot to mention I am looking for electronic ones. </div></div>

I have the Electronic Shooters Protection (ESP) brand in the ear type and like them a bunch, got them 10 years ago. They are created from custom molds of your ears so they fit very well and when they go in, they don't come out unless you remove them, no issues whatsoever with them coming out on their own.

I have the anaolog model and one thing I would recommend, would be the digital ones. Heck, I'm not even sure you can get anything other than digital these days. When I get a new set, they will be digital. Good luck in your search.