• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Protection

Lucky Se7en

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2014
RI
What do you guys use for hearing protection? I prefer the electronic ear muffs to the inner ear protection however the kick on my rifle can knock my muffs back & after a day of shooting my ear will be ringing. I have the Howard Leight brand, after borrowing my friend's Champion brand I noticed his get a much better seal along my jawline & just feel more comfortable & secure. Any thoughts...?

Which HL's do you have? Impact sports or pro's?

I am currently running the impact sports with either surefire EP7s or foam plugs underneath. Still can hear well because of the electronics, but they also help cut out additional noise. No issues with the rifles knocking them around.

Only other setup I'd bother with is a pair of MSA Sordin Pro-X's with the gel cups, those things are comfortable and they have better electronics than the Howard Leight's. Again, still would recommend using plugs underneath.

+1 for the Sordins. Best money I ever spent for ear pro. E-gay has good deals occasionally. Got mine for $95.

Peltor Tac Sports are some you should check out as well. I had the Impact sports for years and I can say without a doubt the Petors are better. No speaker clipping and the sound quality is much better.

Another vote for the MSA supreme pro x with gel cups, and certainly if your shooting braked or inside, use some good standard foam plugs along with it.

surefire plugs. you can put them in and leave them in because they allow you to hear low pressure noise. water running, people talking, leaves rustling, etc..

I have the HL Sport, it doesn't seem to give me suction in the bottom-most section making them close to useless. Also every time shoot it makes a split second high pitch "whining" noise which is very annoying

i have the msa supreme pro x ear muffs, like them, but ive gravitated towards ultra soft foam ear plugs. i love the ear plugs and i can wear my boonie hat for sun protection.
if the weather is hot, ear muffs suck. gets way too hot and sweaty.
if the weather is cold, wear a beanie and warm up.

I use electronic ear muffs, and a plug in my right ear because when I put my cheek down on the rifle it lifts the muffs off my ear a little.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...o-electronic-hearing-protector-prod38339.aspx
Do you know if these are the Pro-X model? And if they aren't do you think it would he worth it to dish out the extra cash for it? (It's $308 on amazon vs $250 for the pro model

That is NOT the Pro X version. That version was made obsolete around 2005-2006 when the Pro X became available, with better sealing of electronics and a FIVE Year warranty.

Current, MSA authorized imports, will look like the photo on our site: black ear cups and a camo headband. BTW, we sell them for less than $300 INCLUDING the Gel upgrade!
Triad Tactical, Inc. :: MISC Shooting Gear

That is not the same as the Supreme Pro X. In addition, I do not think SRS is an authorized dealer for MSA in the USA.

The MSA Supremes are an 18Db reduction...
The Peltor ones designed to work with a rifle are low as well

I always run foam ear plugs under the electronic set when shooting rifles

I use 1 foam plug at a minimum when shooting clays under the muffs on my strong side... so if the stock knocks the muff and breaks the seal, I don't become deafer

Can't beat triad's price from an authorized dealer. They are the best place to go to ensure you're getting new stock and not something old or imported that msa won't stand behind. Plus you'd be supporting a hide dealer.

Thanks guys, looks like the overwhelming majority loves the MSA Sordins so I'll put my trust in the Hide & order them

That is NOT the Pro X version. That version was made obsolete around 2005-2006 when the Pro X became available, with better sealing of electronics and a FIVE Year warranty.

Current, MSA authorized imports, will look like the photo on our site: black ear cups and a camo headband. BTW, we sell them for less than $300 INCLUDING the Gel upgrade!
Triad Tactical, Inc. :: MISC Shooting Gear
Just about to order but it says the gel upgrade isn't in stock

That's the downside to our CS and good pricing! Sometimes we can't keep up with demand. We do have two pending POs,one should arrive by next week. If you put your email into the box, we will let you know when they are back in stock.

Last edited:
It looks like the gel pads are in stock separately, what if they were bundled together for the price of the gel ring unit installed?