• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Protection

HumpHammrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Boone,North Carolina, US of A
My LG Bluetooth Ear Buds died. I'm looking for a replacement to listen to my tunes (sound quality), make and take phone calls (Bluetooth) and now, enhanced hearing with sound suppression for shooting.
I see the Walker brand has hearing protection earbuds and some models that have Bluetooth.

What are you using that has Protection, Bluetooth and good sound quality with a price that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage?

I use the Walker's bluetooth earbuds. The storage /charging case is really nice. Just drop them in and they recharge. They sync to a smartphone app that lets you play music take phone calls etc. The audio is not high definition but it's okay. They are very good for range use. They block the muzzle blast but recover fast enough to hear impacts on steel. Got mine on sale last year at Midway USA for about $220. I think they've come down some since then.
These are what I have:. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019881191?pid=875143.
While searching for the link, I see they've come out with a version 2.0.

Reactions: kcrippen
Hijack not intended, but a question. What do you recommend for plug inprotection(not muffs) for when muffs interfere with the rifle stock. I don't care about bluetooth or music, just want protection.

Hijack not intended, but a question. What do you recommend for plug inprotection(not muffs) for when muffs interfere with the rifle stock. I don't care about bluetooth or music, just want protection.

Its really hard to beat basic foam plugs. The tapers are more comfortable for long sessions.

The reason for all the fanciness is so you can still hear range commands, your neighbor, etc. - and you pay more to have this while losing less protection to impulse sound.

i am thinking about getting some RRS earplugs :ROFLMAO:
i use both foam plugs and over ear (bluetooth etc), but i have never really felt i get the plugs in very good.
maybe my ears are as fucked up as the rest of me.
which leads me to custom fit ones for $12oo, but i don't know anyone that has them.

Roll them tight, pull on your ear to straighten the canal, and shove them in?

I’ve had terrible luck with custom plugs, personally; they have never stayed properly fit for me. They need to have some squish to seal properly, but getting squish during the forming process is nigh impossible. Grumble grumble.

Reactions: OutThere and DIBBS
I use the Walker's bluetooth earbuds. The storage /charging case is really nice. Just drop them in and they recharge. They sync to a smartphone app that lets you play music take phone calls etc. The audio is not high definition but it's okay. They are very good for range use. They block the muzzle blast but recover fast enough to hear impacts on steel. Got mine on sale last year at Midway USA for about $220. I think they've come down some since then.
These are what I have:. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019881191?pid=875143.
While searching for the link, I see they've come out with a version 2.0.

I had a bad experience with my Walker earbuds. I ran them for a week-long precision class before sending them back.

The charging case is a nice feature but I had a difficult time getting them to contact the charging pins consistently. I would drop them in and they would show charging but as soon as the case was bumped, they would lose their connection. Very annoying to wake up to go head out to the line and have one earbud still dead from yesterday. The Bluetooth connection was not bad and they stayed connected to my phone. The sync between the two earbuds was a bit finicky but once connected they usually stayed paired. One huge problem I had was wind noise. Even a slight breeze made it difficult to hear any speaking. Anything above a slight breeze and you could not hear anything but wind howling in your ear. They did stay in my ear well with the foam plugs provided but the little silicone tab retainers became rather uncomfortable after 3-4 hours. Battery life was not bad considering they were earbuds, but they would not last an entire day of use. Sound deadening was perfectly acceptable to me.

For me, it came down to cost. Nothing about them made them completely unusable but they were also not really "great" at anything either. Considering how expensive they are, I was expecting some amount of wow factor.

Fortunately, I purchased them through Amazon and I was able to return them for a full refund. I will continue to use my Comtac's for work, my Walker Bluetooth muffs for fun, and will continue to look for good electronic Bluetooth buds.

I don't mind Ear Muffs when handgun training. Have a good pair of Howard Leight's and a set of Walkers. The Ear Buds will be with the rifle either shooting LR or Hunting.
This morning I received an email ad from the Axil Hearing Pro people. They have a BT Ear Bud called GS Extreme.

Anyone tried these?

Peltor Sport tactical 500, I use them primarily for USPSA shoots. I put gel ear pads on there which helps sealing with glasses and makes it a lot more comfortable.

And a padded cover for the top of the peltors since they are a hard plastic which is not comfortable.