• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing protection

F4 plt

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
I’ve been a shooter for almost 70 years and a pilot for 60 and needless to say there is some hearing loss. When shooting rifle especially benchrest or prone I don’t like the ear protection to come in contact with the stock . I have tried slim line muffs with foam earplugs inside and they are fair. Several years ago I bought a set of Walkers silencer ear buds. Never could get them to work, they did pair with my phone and could not get them to fit snuggly in my ear no matter what I did. I have talked to Walker customer service and all the rep does is read from the website …. No help I can read. To be fair the only earbuds I have ever really got to fit were Bose, even the Apple ones no matter how fitted will come loose . So looking for suggestions on better electronic ear buds or quality slim line ear muffs
.jack

Comply Professional Noise Isolating Earphone Tips for NuForce, ISOtunes PRO, Q-Jays, Etymotic Research, Westone, Shure & More P-Series Memory Foam Replacement Earbud Tips (Medium, 3-pairs) https://a.co/d/a3GV6Ug

I replaced the rubber on my in ear plugs with these. They seal up nicely.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
I’ve been a shooter for almost 70 years and a pilot for 60 and needless to say there is some hearing loss. When shooting rifle especially benchrest or prone I don’t like the ear protection to come in contact with the stock . I have tried slim line muffs with foam earplugs inside and they are fair. Several years ago I bought a set of Walkers silencer ear buds. Never could get them to work, they did pair with my phone and could not get them to fit snuggly in my ear no matter what I did. I have talked to Walker customer service and all the rep does is read from the website …. No help I can read. To be fair the only earbuds I have ever really got to fit were Bose, even the Apple ones no matter how fitted will come loose . So looking for suggestions on better electronic ear buds or quality slim line ear muffs
.jack
These are excellent, can be tuned to your hearing aid audiogram, have the only effective auto-wind cancellation I have found, and since they are made from a mold of your ear, they fit securely. I love them for targets shooting and hunting. I bought direct from the owner, he threw in a $200 discount, and his service is friendly and responsive with great warranty.

But, they are very pricey. May want to peruse the site and look at the less expensive models he offers as these are the top of the line.

If you want a high-end solution, these are great. I've owned them for several years.

If you want a high-end solution, these are great. I've owned them for several years.

The Otto Noizebarriers are excellent. Just swap out the factory foam eartips with Comply Foam Eartips (from Amazon) and you'll be all set. I have pretty bad hearing loss from years of abuse (loud music, loud motorcycles, and lots of things that go BANG!!). I wear hearing aids during the day and excellent hearing protection when I'm at the range . The Otto Noizebarriers w/ the Comply eartips are what I rely on when shooting rifle. They have 2 settings, depending on your need to hear those around you. When shooting alone, I use the max sound attentuation setting, but if I'm at a multi-shooter range at my gun club, I'll set it on the first setting so I can hear others indicate their desire to go Cold or Hot.

Reactions: Marine52
they make electronic ear buds that pair up with head phones if you don't like one the other works pretty well there is always the orange or what ever color foam plugs you put inside your ear ( cheap but they work)

The Otto Noizebarriers are excellent. Just swap out the factory foam eartips with Comply Foam Eartips (from Amazon) and you'll be all set. I have pretty bad hearing loss from years of abuse (loud music, loud motorcycles, and lots of things that go BANG!!). I wear hearing aids during the day and excellent hearing protection when I'm at the range . The Otto Noizebarriers w/ the Comply eartips are what I rely on when shooting rifle. They have 2 settings, depending on your need to hear those around you. When shooting alone, I use the max sound attentuation setting, but if I'm at a multi-shooter range at my gun club, I'll set it on the first setting so I can hear others indicate their desire to go Cold or Hot.
I'm considering the Otto NB setup, but curious about the Comply Foam Eartips- is it about better comfort or better NR versus the OEM factory tips? thanks

My age and history mirrors yours except for the Pilot. I did work in Nuclear Power Plants with Muffs.
Sadly so say, ear plugs of any and all knids DO NOT provide adequate protection, neither do electronic muffs.
My Sordin Electronic muffs now are used for Auto races.
Based on my OTR Physician who treated Marine Artillery Units, I have gone to double protection.
Any type of foam coupled with Passive Sordin Muffs to provide max protection. But because vibrations are transmitted to the inner ear by the Mastoid Bone, There is currently nothing that I know of that will prevent damage from that path.
I would certainly be interested in any type of passive muff that did not present an interference when shooting rifle or shotgun?
-Richard

Reactions: Kalthoff
I shoot outdoors and use 3m squishy with Howard Leight over those to keep the nearby muzzle brakes down to a roar. Having said that when it's just my immediate circle of hooligans all with suppressors I use the Axil GS Extreme and it's a real treat with the sweltering Florida heat....was 94 yesterday. No more sweaty ears just the in the ear electronic.

I found the Sordins to be the most comfortable and provide the tightest seal with their gel cups. They seal easily over my eye protection and have a notch in the bottom allowing me to get a good check weld without interfering. They sell hygiene kits if you want to replace the gel cups, so far I have been a happy customer.

Reactions: Kalthoff
I found the Sordins to be the most comfortable and provide the tightest seal with their gel cups. They seal easily over my eye protection and have a notch in the bottom allowing me to get a good check weld without interfering. They sell hygiene kits if you want to replace the gel cups, so far I have been a happy customer.
At the riflerange I use MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X over foam earplugs.

By themself the MSA Sordins do not provide adequate attenuation for rifle shooting, combine them with single-use "construction-site" type foam ear plugs for adequate protection. The same is true for most other models and brands btw.

Reactions: driftersgear
I also use the MSA Sordins over foam plugs - I’ve found a taller scope mount (1.25-1.5”) keeps my head vertical on the rifle and the earmuff out of the way.

I’ve found that shooting suppressed goes a long way as well - I really enjoy it. Unfortunately not every rifle at the range has a can, so I plug and cover as well.

Axil are decent for in ear. I had EAR custom mold inserts for them. The molded plugs were $200ish. They are comfortable, but if worn for long periods (6-8 hours) they start hurting.

My age and history mirrors yours except for the Pilot. I did work in Nuclear Power Plants with Muffs.
Sadly so say, ear plugs of any and all knids DO NOT provide adequate protection, neither do electronic muffs.
My Sordin Electronic muffs now are used for Auto races.
Based on my OTR Physician who treated Marine Artillery Units, I have gone to double protection.
Any type of foam coupled with Passive Sordin Muffs to provide max protection. But because vibrations are transmitted to the inner ear by the Mastoid Bone, There is currently nothing that I know of that will prevent damage from that path.
I would certainly be interested in any type of passive muff that did not present an interference when shooting rifle or shotgun?
-Richard
I think the only thing that would somewhat limit noise from traveling through your mastoid bone is a large helmet full of noise-killing foam. Would have to go down low on your neck. Wear with muffs and plugs.

I know of no helmet like that.

Vibrations might still travel up your skeleton. Space suit?

I have problems with my left ear, as in its super sensitive and I have to double up on the left as well as shoot suppressed.

High rings are the answer for rifles in regards to muff clearance.

I have Otto noisebarrier, 3m Peltor tep300, and some msa sordin supreme proX. Standalone, the Tep300 is the best, noticbale less crack than the Ottos. However for large fire volume matches, I run the tep300, underneath the Sordin. It's excellent sound suppression, can hear quiet conversations, I'm very happy with the Combination.

Reactions: Rhed

IMG_9377.jpegIMG_9376.jpeg

View attachment 8172454View attachment 8172455
This has been the thoughts circulating for 10 years, every time it gets close to vote, false flag mass shooting unfortunately.

These are excellent, can be tuned to your hearing aid audiogram, have the only effective auto-wind cancellation I have found, and since they are made from a mold of your ear, they fit securely. I love them for targets shooting and hunting. I bought direct from the owner, he threw in a $200 discount, and his service is friendly and responsive with great warranty.

But, they are very pricey. May want to peruse the site and look at the less expensive models he offers as these are the top of the line.

These really are the best solution. I have used everything under the sun over the last 30 years from cheapies to Sordins or MSA, Ops Core, walkers ect. Finally got these last year and kick myself in ass for not getting sooner. What a world of difference in audio quality and comfort. No more bumping your hearing pro off in positional shooting. Cuts down on the wind and allows normal conversations.

I will never understand why so many people cheap out on hearing protection. They will have 30K in match gear and another 100k in guns and optics but use $30 cheap hearing protection. Once your hearing is gone, you aren't getting it back. Its probably the first thing shooters should spend on IMO.

Yes they are expensive but worth it IMO, plus your insurance may pay for all or part of it as well.

These really are the best solution. I have used everything under the sun over the last 30 years from cheapies to Sordins or MSA, Ops Core, walkers ect. Finally got these last year and kick myself in ass for not getting sooner. What a world of difference in audio quality and comfort. No more bumping your hearing pro off in positional shooting. Cuts down on the wind and allows normal conversations.

I will never understand why so many people cheap out on hearing protection. They will have 30K in match gear and another 100k in guns and optics but use $30 cheap hearing protection. Once your hearing is gone, you aren't getting it back. Its probably the first thing shooters should spend on IMO.

Yes they are expensive but worth it IMO, plus your insurance may pay for all or part of it as well.
They are excellent and the fella that owns ESP is a stand up Joe, IMO.

I also love them for quail hunting where I really need to hear the guide and other hunter as we set up over the dogs. Wind cancellation is great, they are secure in my ear so no worries about dropping and losing them, and they don’t get in the way of the shotgun stock.

My hearing is very bad from time in USAF and then guns and Harleys hammering down the highway. I was in a clinic w Frank/Marc and they let me stop saying “what?…what?..” lol the sound qual equals my hearing aids.

And I agree about it being well worth it…particularly in light of how much $$ we spend on gun related gear. I feel the same way about glasses. People will buy a $4k scope and look thru it via a pair of $20 plastic safety glasses. I wear RE Rangers and they are far optically superior to cheap shooting glasses.

Last edited:
Mine will probably be the least popular answer but... consider moving to a class 3 state and shoot suppressed with ear plugs of choice. Or adapt. Like you, I hate the muffs coming in contact with the stock. I wore -32DB rated plugs and muffs through 8 years of highpower rifle shooting and made large muffs work despite the annoying contact.
Now I'm relegated to BR as no position shooting is allowed at the local range. Maybe get a different stock or a higher scope mount? One of my BR rifles the muffs ( low profile) never touch the stock. If the parallax is adjusted correctly, cheek weld does not matter. The dot is center no matter where your eye is. On the other BR rifle, the muffs occasionally contact the stock. I live with it. My hearing is more important than any inconvenience contact with the stock may have. And yes, recoil sometimes breaks the seal of the muffs and that's why you always need muffs and plugs.

My dad was essentially deaf for the last 15 years of his life and it destroyed his quality of life. Use double or triple (suppressor) protection always. I didn't fly but spent 10 years racing motorcycles. Always used the -32DB pugs. Unfortunately as a dumb teenager, I went to too many loud rock concerts. I regret that now but fortunately I'm not paying a price for it yet. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23

I stumbled upon this at the perfect time. I just visited an audiologist to see about getting molds made, talk about in ear availability for hunting and check out my hearing.

While I can’t say the ESP units are good or bad, the 25db NRR seems low. My audiologist said 29-32db NRR is ideally where I need to be.

I stumbled upon this at the perfect time. I just visited an audiologist to see about getting molds made, talk about in ear availability for hunting and check out my hearing.

While I can’t say the ESP units are good or bad, the 25db NRR seems low. My audiologist said 29-32db NRR is ideally where I need to be.
Good luck finding anything other than good qual foam plugs for 32 db NRR.

I’d be glad to be proved wrong.

Cheers.

Good luck finding anything other than good qual foam plugs for 32 db NRR.

I’d be glad to be proved wrong.

Cheers.
She (my audiologist) suggested Trophy Ear. She’s directed several big game hunters in my area to them and have had nothing but positive feedback.

I’m in the process of checking them out now. Their NRR is 29.

I’m a newbie at this custom stuff for the most part, but I have been using Shot Hunt electronic protection which is rated at 32 NRR.
It is not custom fit, and while it’s worked great for me, my ears start to hurt after about 3-4 hours in them. They also do not handle wind noise well. But they suppress my braked rifles very very well, and I’ve had zero hearing changes since buying and using them over the last 5 years. They just aren’t really comfortable.

She (my audiologist) suggested Trophy Ear. She’s directed several big game hunters in my area to them and have had nothing but positive feedback.

I’m in the process of checking them out now. Their NRR is 29.

I’m a newbie at this custom stuff for the most part, but I have been using Shot Hunt electronic protection which is rated at 32 NRR.
It is not custom fit, and while it’s worked great for me, my ears start to hurt after about 3-4 hours in them. They also do not handle wind noise well. But they suppress my braked rifles very very well, and I’ve had zero hearing changes since buying and using them over the last 5 years. They just aren’t really comfortable.
I have shot hunt also. Bought them maybe 8-9 years ago or so. I was never comfortable quail hunting with them as they always felt ready to fall out (but never did) and I’ve all the foam ear piece sizes. And you’re right about wind noise. First tried to use them in the goose pit to hear the birds but the wind noise made that unworkable.

I’ll check out Trophy Ear. Thanks.

Reactions: BlkZ06
They are excellent and the fella that owns ESP is a stand up Joe, IMO.

I also love them for quail hunting where I really need to hear the guide and other hunter as we set up over the dogs. Wind cancellation is great, they are secure in my ear so no worries about dropping and losing them, and they don’t get in the way of the shotgun stock.

My hearing is very bad from time in USAF and then guns and Harleys hammering down the highway. I was in a clinic w Frank/Marc and they let me stop saying “what?…what?..” lol the sound qual equals my hearing aids.

And I agree about it being well worth it…particularly in light of how much $$ we spend on gun related gear. I feel the same way about glasses. People will buy a $4k scope and look thru it via a pair of $20 plastic safety glasses. I wear RE Rangers and they are far optically superior to cheap shooting glasses.

The issue with in-ear ear pro is that noise is still attenuated into the inner ear through vibrations.

Not a problem if low volume shooting/hunting, or to some extent shooting suppressed. But I would be wary relying on just in-ear ear pro when doing high volume shooting with a muzzle brake.

Reactions: BlkZ06 and Baron23
suppressed is the only way to live :)

But ... +1 on "MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X over foam earplugs"
I dont see how the Sordin muffs would be that decent. 19NRR is terrible for an over the ears solution.

I dont see how the Sordin muffs would be that decent. 19NRR is terrible for an over the ears solution.
It's all a trade-off.

Giant muffs that have better NRR but disrupts your checkweld. Smaller muffs with electronic hearing but less NRR but have to double up with plugs.

If you want a $500 or $5,000 set of ear plugs and they work for you, be my guest. But after using these for a decade or so, I've probably already lost the range a better set of plugs/muffs would have protected. These work in the intersection of my head and stock better than others and stay on my head better too with recoil. My gel pads keep their seal. Noise cancellation at high db, but sound amplification helps me communicate with foam plugs. I'm sure better muffs/plugs have been made since then, but I don't have a need to revisit the issue.

How something seals around your head/ears is better than pure NRR rating (my opinion). I’ve had poor sealing high rated NRR ear pro and they were just the same as having nothing on. I’ve used my Sordins with gel cups for a few years now in all kinds of shooting scenarios. Zero issues or perceived hearing loss. I can still hear it when a mosquito farts. I do replace the gel cups every year or so as routine maintenance. I’m not an idiot though. When I know I'm going to be around a lot of muzzle brakes ie match for an extended period of time I’ll double up.

Reactions: longtines
I use 3m 33nr foam plugs with walkers over the top.

Occasionally the walkers will hit the stock. I don't notice it anymore.

I only turn the walkers on to hear. Will turn them off if someone can't be considerate and thinks they need a monster brake.

“I’m in the process of checking them out now. Their NRR is 29.”
Passive!
I don’t care what you wear but you need to double up!
Internal plug and external muff.
I have gone back to wearing passive plug and passive Sordin with gel cups.
No matter what you do the mastoid bone conducts sound/vibration/energy to the inner ear.
Information comes from an OTL that treats Marine Artillery guys.They take a lot of Motrin I am told.-Richard