• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hearing Protection

Birddog6424

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2014
    Boise, Idaho
    I have some custom molded Edge 60s from Axil. They treat me pretty good at the range.

But I need something for hunting. I can't bang away anymore without any hearing protection on upland game and waterfowl. Earmuffs are too bulky and hot as hell in warmer weather. My Edge 60s give me about 20 decibals of amplification to hear conversation. I need something with 30 or 40 decibals.

Anyone know of any decent protection that will do that?

I use OTTO's for competition and they work great. 8+ hours on a charge and the case will recharge them at least 7 times before I charge the case. Expensive, but well worth it.

The TEP-200's are the only ear pro I've owned that I would consider using in the field. I used them for a few days of deer hunting in cool/mild temps and they were solid, good protection and outstanding hear-through, and rechargeable. They pop up on this forum for sale in batches on occasion.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    I use ESP America. They have several different models they all might be considered pricey But they work and are comfortable enough for all day wear. I hunt in them as well as use them for competitions. Batteries will get me through a full two day completion at 8 hours a day for 3 days. I’d say they’d be good for a week or so.

I use the Walker BT 2.0. I find they handle unsuppressed small-, to mid-, range rifle calibers very well. I think it comes down to picking the right foam insert and rubber ear mold size, and that they ergonomically jive with the shape of your ear/canal. I will say the slip fit between the foam insert and the unit gets a little loose over time and makes removing them slightly annoying. Also the rubber molds tend to slip of during removal after a couple years of use, but again, minor inconvenience.

They do have 4 sound modes which all have a place. I'll use frequency boost or power boost while hunting. Clear voice at comp's. The mic port is small but they pick up directional sound well. I'll even use them when mining to maintain awareness but protect from the power tool noises.

I personally use them on my hunts with the following and am happy with the protection they offer:
    5.56 18" barrel with brake unsuppressed for Accurized AR competition/practice
    6.5CM 18" barrel suppressed for PRS
    7RM 26" barrel unsuppressed with brake for hunting

Reactions: Birddog6424
    I was not expecting them to be THAT expensive. That's like Ferrari expensive.
    yes I agree they spendy. But they will be the last pair you buy. Less than a new rifle… or hearing aids.
    The way the owner explained them to me, the entry level is like Fm radio, the top of the line is like high quality surround sound.
    When you’re wearing them, very natural sound, it’s like having no ear pro on at all, hunting I can turn the volume up so I can hear animals at 100+ yards.

I use ESP America. They have several different models they all might be considered pricey But they work and are comfortable enough for all day wear. I hunt in them as well as use them for competitions. Batteries will get me through a full two day completion at 8 hours a day for 3 days. I’d say they’d be good for a week or so.

Do they provide good direction for the sound? I’m considering a pair for stand hunting for deer and drives.

Do they provide good direction for the sound? I’m considering a pair for stand hunting for deer and drives.

That's another downside to muffs. I have some very high quality shooting muffs, they sound phenomenal. But you can't tell the direction of the sound

I use the esp apex too Ja for everything from sporting clays to prs to bird hunting.

I think Corson is sponsored by them. Might be worth asking him about them. See if they have a prs program or discount. I got them through my insurance.

I won't wear anything else anymore.

I use the esp apex too Ja for everything from sporting clays to prs to bird hunting.

I think Corson is sponsored by them. Might be worth asking him about them. See if they have a prs program or discount. I got them through my insurance.

I won't wear anything else anymore.

Thanks brother. I've heard good things about ESP. Maybe Corson can wrangle me up a discount code. I'll hit him up..

@Birddog6424 - I too use ESP. I got the Apex (same ones @DeathBeforeDismount ).

My hearing is shot starting with flying in USAF decades ago thru riding Harleys and tons of shooting. So, I do wear hearing aids

I live in Maryland and am (more often "was" these days) a waterfowl hunter and I love going to southern Georgia a 2-3 times a year for wonderful quail hunts.

Yes, they are expensive...but I tried other solutions, starting in the goose pit. Walker quad mic muffs....impossible. Did nothing for wind noise which could drown out everything else and, as said, they seem pretty non-directional.

Then I tried ShotHunt

(E.A.R. is a US distributor/retailer) https://earinc.com/shothunt-series/

Two problems with them for my application...well, three. 1) no wind noise reduction at all...impossible in any wind; 2) they use memory foam bits to go in your ear (look at the pics in the link) and when walking behind dogs hunting I was constantly fiddling with them as they just didn't feel secure enough and if one hits the ground its gone; 3) the sound amplified in pure magnitude alright but speech was still touch and go as far as intelligibility goes.

Finally, I got off the money for the ESPs. The guy who owns it and answers the phone is a good fella to deal with. At least I liked his friendly approach and cooperative CS. They have automatic excellent wind noise reduction (EAR equivalent you have to manually go to wind noise reduction mode); 3) I could (and did) send him my hearing aid audiogram and my Apex are programed with the same equalization curve as my hearing aids. Intelligibility is very good.

I've very happy with them. On the quail hunts in particular, I absolutely need to hear my hunting partner and our guide/dog handler and can. Same with hearing geese/ducks. Same with hearing @Lowlight while in a clinic (funny story about that...for another time)

Just thought I would share my experience with them.

Cheers

Last edited:
    The TEP-200's are the only ear pro I've owned that I would consider using in the field. I used them for a few days of deer hunting in cool/mild temps and they were solid, good protection and outstanding hear-through, and rechargeable. They pop up on this forum for sale in batches on occasion.
    I 2nd these. Any of the peltor in ear work very well.