• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors hearing safe (actual numbers)

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
You always see the term "hearing safe" what is hearing safe to you in decimeters? Im shooting a yhm phantom 30 cal qd suppressor and think m855 out of a 16 inch barrel is border line, my 300 blk with subs is not near as quiet as it sounds on youtube.

Your thoughts

Re: hearing safe (actual numbers)

Every one hears different. Numbers are just that, numbers. Shooting sub sonics may be safe to a point,shooting super sonic ammo, you are going to need hearing protection.

Under 85db is hearing safe. Anything over 130db is not. Anything between those numbers is only safe for a period of time per day. Even a suppressed .22 is only hearing safe for between 30 seconds and 30 minutes depending on if you believe OSHA or The National Campaign for Hearing Health's Toxic Noise Guidelines. Comfortable to listen to is not necessarily safe to listen to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> my 300 blk with subs is not near as quiet as it sounds on youtube.

Your thoughts </div></div>

It's likely a lot quieter from a spectator position than being the shooter. youtube videos can be deceiving.

I'm thinking you mean Decibels rather than decimeters. A decibel is a measure of sound pressure where a decimeter is a tenth of a meter.....

Frank

Full power loads are nowhere near hearing safe, your M855 out of 16" gun is easily over 135db, most full power loads out of a .30 cal are closer to the 140s in decibel.

Subsonics are better,

My first round with a 22" bolt and 10" F/A rated 1.5"x10" mono core can is 127, dry. With the same rifle and a 1.5X10 baffle stacked can it's 138. Using 180 gr subs I cast the mono is 68 and the baffled is 72.

I damaged my hearing shooting with a brake, under a metal roof, using only plugs or average ear muffs. I now have Tinnitus and it does take some serious getting used to and I am still learning to cope. Protect your hearing and the hearing of your loved ones who know no better, I didn't until it was too late. I thought I was safe with hearing protection.

I have done A BUNCH of reading and studying since this began in September of this year. I now ONLY shoot suppressed and ONLY with good hearing protection also. I use both.

I figure my cans are good for about 30 db on average and my hearing protection is good for about 30 db too. If I am at the range I use muffs and plugs now!

The average gun blast runs from 150 to as much as 170 db on the big boomers.

I figure I am only subjected to 100 to 110 db blasts when I am shooting. As long as I am shooting ALONE at the range. You have to account for the blasts around you too. This 100 to 110 amount of db exposure is far safer but still at a level that can cause damage with high volume sustained daily exposure.

Even with good hearing protection, you are very close to the level of CERTAIN damage when shooting most centerfires, especially short barrel with brakes etc.

Please do your homework and protect your hearing!

Actually the 85 dab level is set as a OSHA work place standard in which if that that is the maximum exposure a worker should be subjected to in a 8 hour day. The dba rating is not linear so higher noise levels get reduced time frames, 4 hours at 95, 2 hours at 100, 1 hour at 105.

Normal conversation is in the 62 dba range and jet engine at take off is around 125 dba. Pain threshold is around 140 dba and any time you get a ringing of the ears I was told is some kind of damage.

I have a dba meter and will take it to the range next time and get some reading with various guns and publish it here. Another note is that any dba rating can be a little misleading based on the distance from the sound in which the measurement is taken, 3 feet is the norm but when shopping for motors and generators double check how far away it is taken.

I could say that a 50 cal is only 84 dba at 400 yards:). When in doubt where hearing protection.