• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heat Mirage From the Barrel

IgnatiusJR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
United States
I have a question on heat mirage from the barrel. Yesterday when shooting at the range I noticed my groups shifted up about .75-1 MOA. My first two groups were on center for elevation but as the barrel got hotter and the heat mirage increased they moved up. I was shooting fairly quickly. My 5 shot groups were pretty round in shape with no unusual stringing. Can the heat mirage cause this? If so, how is the best way to eliminate the mirage? I would appreciate some advice on this. Ps. It was 70F and overcast with no wind.

Re: Heat Mirage From the Barrel

5/16 or 3/8 rubber tubing aimed down the barrel, tied to the lowest part of the obj, w/o touching the barrel. Place the tubing in your mouth, as you exhale and a-line the target it will blow the heat away just long enough to shoot.

Laugh if you want,...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rifles Only</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mirage was moving the image.
Pour water on the barrel </div></div>

Giggle
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

What were you shooting that it got that hot that quick. I mean I do a 7 taper 300wm at 1K to 600yds, 20rds in 7-10 mins and barrel heat is nothing compared to normal Alabama Mirage.

Cut a piece of coroplast 2-2.5 inches wide and almost as long as your barrel, use two sided tape to affix it to the top of barrel just in front of the scope. The mirage / heat will filter around the "mirage shield" leaving a clear view for your optic.
This works great for BR but sucks as far as tactical...

Remington XCR with a 26 inch barrel in .308. Not sure what the taper is but it measures .920 at the muzzle. I shot Federal 168 gr Gold Metal Match ammo. I shot 30 rounds in about 10 minutes. The hot spot is directly under my Mark 4 scope. Would a 4" sunshade help?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IgnatiusJR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington XCR with a 26 inch barrel in .308. Not sure what the taper is but it measures .920 at the muzzle. I shot Federal 168 gr Gold Metal Match ammo. I shot 30 rounds in about 10 minutes. The hot spot is directly under my Mark 4 scope. Would a 4" sunshade help? </div></div>

Either get a tube if your going to shoot like that in the field, or
install a barrel band for bench shooting. Many a factory tube will shift POI with large temp changes.

Ok. Can the change in point of aim be predictable similar to wind? I'm new to shooting with a scope.

Only if you truly know where the dancing ball is. Clear the barrel mirage, if it's still there dial down the scope, or wait for the jump.

OP,

There could be a multitude of errors here. The only thing for sure is that your bullets hit in the direction the barrel was pointed. If you had called your shots you'd already know if mirage off the barrel had an effect on your perception of aim, possible, but not likely. The big problem with mirage off the barrel is that when severe it can make the target seem to disappear. That's more a problem though with irons than with an optic. As suggested, a mirage band will mimimize the problems associated with mirage off the barrel.

Remember too, there are 4 things that effect trajectory and mirage is not one of them. These are gravity, drag, wind, and temperature. I'm not saying mirage will not interfer with the shot, it certainly can alter your perception of aim. But temperature, ambient, as well as ammunition, and barrel temperature are all certainly suspect here; and, just a 20 degree change in ambient temperature may raise or lower velocity 50 feet per second. 50 fps is worth about one MOA.

As an LR Service Rifle competitor, I'd like to shoot a load which is insensitive to ambient temperature, as well as at the chamber. I have not found it yet. Using iron sights I have a hard time holding for an X-ring hit. An insensitive load to temperature changes, where ever found, would be welcome. BTW, I'm shooting Re-15 which is as insensitive as I've known but not perfect.

I don't think effects due to mirage can be reliably predicted. While some can employ mirage as a partial means to identify wind condition, it distorts the sight picture at the same time and I seriously doubt any human senses-based means can be employed to eradicate its unpredictabilty.

The best I've been able to do is to ignore it, take my best shot under the conditions, then adjust on the basis of true deviation/deflection. Even this is an approximation and has only limited usefulness, only at that immediate time.

Fact is, when the intervening air dynamically distorts the sight image, everything about that sight image becomes less reliable.

All this is a different issue from barrel mirage.

I roll a tube out of black computer card stock, generally about 1/4" larger in diameter than my scope's objective bell, and long enough to slip over the bell for about 1/2" and reach about 1/2" short of the muzzle. I use stick-on velcro dots at each end and in the center to affix the tube to the barrel for shooting. The extra diameter is to allow some airflow, so conducted heat doesn't get trapped inside the tube. The tube ends short of the muzzle so the tube doesn't get beat up by muzzle blast. Black because it looks cool, and no other reason. Whatever benefits might accrue from the black color are probably both real and minimal.

Greg