• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing heat treating of muzzle break?

hso11974

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Iola, Texas
I made a muzzle break for my .308. Should I heat treat it? My can is going to screw onto / over it. Just thought I would ask.

Re: heat treating of muzzle break?

You can sure. If you do I'd emphasize that the threads need to be treated with condersol (not sure if I spelled that correctly) prior to hardening.

When I make brakes I use a slug of barrel steel. This way I know its of similar properties. Does it matter? I doubt it seriously, but I just like doing it that way.

Condersol will protect the threads. You may find that the threads bell mouth or shrink slightly after heat treatment. If it were me and I was doing this I'd make the brake and have it completely done prior to fitting to ensure a quality thread fit with the barrel.

i make my brakes from heat treated 4140. it is hardened to 27-32rc and it still machines nicely.

Heat treating the muzzle brake serves no purpose in my opinion. This would be an unnecessary expense in regards to manufacturing. The SAE4140 barrel material is alloyed for toughness, shear, & tensile strength in the as recieved condition. The same applies to stainless steel barrel stock.

Retired Machine Shop Instructor
SCPO-RET