• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? heaviest bullet for 223 1-9 twist

crod1972

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
crawfordville fl
I just bought a new rem model 7 in 223 with a 1-9 twist what is the heaviest hunting bullet can i reload with good results

Re: ? heaviest bullet for 223 1-9 twist

Generally 69-70 grains is what I hear. They certainly work well in my 1:9 twist barrels. I have heard some people say they can get 75 grain bullets to shoot well, but I have not tried them.

I run hornady 75 grain bthp in lc08 brass with 23.5 grains of h335, cci sr primers and shoot sub-one at 100 yards. They do one hell of a job on water jugs as well. This is with a 1 in 9 dpms

I ran some 75gr hornady hpbt match bullets reloaded with varget out of my 16" barreled AR15 last saturday. They shot better than i could in the 4 degree weather we were having. Group size at 100 yards was roughly 1 moa as best i could tell for 5 shots but i never actually walked up to the target. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them or the the Amax out of a bolt gun where a guy would be able to push them alittle harder.

I'm getting a 77gn NCC out of my rifel to shoot great.and the 75gn vld is shooting just as good.but I am loading them with 25gn of IMR 4007 in a Lapua case with 450 primers loaded in the lands for both.my last group with the 77gn was a .450 5 shoot group but without the cold bore shot it was a .111 4 shot group at 100 yards.so if you have some 75gn or better try them.you never know what might work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crod1972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the heaviest <span style="font-weight: bold">hunting</span> bullet can i reload with good results </div></div>

I would run a 62TSX if it were me, and I do run them. Other good choices would be the 53TSX, 60gr Nosler Partition, 64gr Win PP....those would all work in a 1-9"twist.

The 75gr Swift SSII would be another good one if your rifle will stabilize it.

Also....are you talking bullets for deer?....or something else?