• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Heaviest reasonable barrel contour on Howa, Tikka and Remington?

Muskox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Sucky Kentucky
What would you think is the heaviest barrel contour at let's say 26 inches on a Howa 1500, Tikka T3 and Remington M700?

thanks again.

This would be without sleaving an action. I have sleaved a M700 to take some huge contours, but I am talking about a PSR or hunting rifle.

For anything that I planned to carry overall weight dictate use of a contour that is not going to overly tax action. My varmint rifles weight 10-11 pounds with scope. Rem varmint 26" and light varmint contour 24". A ten pound gun is more than I enjoy carrying for hunting. Barrels in the 3-4 pound range seem about right.

I want to put a 26 AMU on one of these 3 actions. The biggest barrel I have put on a Tikka before is a #7 Krieger.

I am a smith, I am looking for another smith to tell me yeah or neah.

Well I'll put that caveat as I am a still learning how to be a smith. I have only chambered 30 barrels, and built about 4 stocks from scratch. Not bad for part time over the past 3 years.

I have a fluted bartlien mtu on a 700. Big yes...but not ridiculous.

I have mine in an htg. Pillar bedded with devcon, no barrel pad.

Sounds good. I guess I'll give it a try, worse case scenario, I'll unscrew it and recut the threads for a stouter action.

I run 30 inch 1.25" straight pipes on my Stillers and many other F-class shooters do the same with their 700's without a problem except for hauling the damn things to the line which sucks with a 30 inch pipe.

I currently have a howa 1500 that I just fit a 26" krieger #10 mtu on, and a remmy 700 that will be receiving one in the next couple weeks. Great fit for a .300 wm target rifle, but heavy for sure. 13 lbs with mcm a5 stocks, cdi dbm and no glass.

Last edited:
Howa 223. Remington varmint profile was the largest that would fit the Bell & Carlson Medalist inletting without work to open it up. Depends on how much work you want to put into the stock/system.