• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Heavy 300 WM bullet options

Statusquo

Horse’s Ass
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
WA
I'm getting ready to put together a .300 mag and need some recommendations on bullets of the 210-230 variety. Should I consider a 210 with a little more speed or go for higher BC? I'm currently thinking about the 212 ELD-X or a SMK. Is the 230 otm absolutely worth the extra cost?

​​​26-27" barrel - 1:9 - steel, song dog, and match rifle

If I was building that rifle I would be looking at the Hornady 225 ELD-M. The 208 ELD-M would be another choice. I have shot a lot of 208 AMAX and they performed great and the better BC of the ELD is a good plus.

Honestly I wouldn't use the ELD-X bullets for what you want as you will be spending more and not needing the hunting aspect of the bullet. Stick with the ELD-M bullets.

Hornady's website shows a higher BC for the 208 ELD than the 220. Has anyone verified this?

Hornady's website shows a higher BC for the 208 ELD than the 220. Has anyone verified this?

The "Match" ELDs have better BCs than the "X" versions. The 208 is a Match version, the 220 is an X. The 225 ELD match has a better BC than both the others.

I won the first URSA 2000 yard match with a 300wm shooting the 230 Berger Hybrid. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have started with the 215 Hybrid instead. Not a huge difference in performance though.

I've tested the 208 ELDm and it's a solid performer. For non competition loads used inside 1500 yards, I'd definitely go with the ELDm line. I haven't tested the 225 ELDm yet, but doubt you'll see much in terms of real world difference between any of these bullets. On the elevation turret, yes. Number of long range hits, probably not.

I just rebarrelled an AIAX .338LM to .300NM. I went with the Hornady 225gr ELD-M, 3/5 the price of rhe Berger's and doppler verified better BC.
I have not taken them out to distance, but they are .5 moa at 100 @ 3000fps. I think Hornady's new bullets are winners.

Add 300 NM to the if I knew then what I know now list. Again, not a huge difference, but if you're starting from scratch it's the way to go. Especially with a CIP magazine length Lapua setup. I'm running 8 twist barrels now. If you go to longer ranges and want to solve the optics travel problem, try the 198 Flatlines with an 8 twist barrel. That 1:9 barrel will also run them a long ways.

At something less than 35$/100, the ELD line is going to be tough to beat for most uses.

Add 300 NM to the if I knew then what I know now list. Again, not a huge difference, but if you're starting from scratch it's the way to go. Especially with a CIP magazine length Lapua setup. I'm running 8 twist barrels now. If you go to longer ranges and want to solve the optics travel problem, try the 198 Flatlines with an 8 twist barrel. That 1:9 barrel will also run them a long ways.

At something less than 35$/100, the ELD line is going to be tough to beat for most uses.

I floated the 300 NM idea by my gunsmith. He won't do it with a M70 bolt. Probably a good thing as I already have brass and dies for the WM.

I shoot bergers now, tired of paying for them when less expensive brands are, in my mind, more than good enough. I'll likely try the ELD's. Though I'm curious what the difference between 208's and 225's will be out to 1200 with this gun. Only one way to find out. Maybe throat the rifle for 225 eld's and run woth it.

After looking around I may just work up a load with an Alco 230 for the occasional ELR fun.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to criticize or undermine your 300wm choice. I was just admiring Laseredge's gun. I'm in the same boat, I have enough 300wm stuff stashed that it wouldn't be worth the cost of switching.

I suggest the pick one and run with it approach is the way to go. There won't be a noticeable difference in the hit percentage between those bullets.

I've had good luck with Norma brass, standard rather than magnum large rifle primers and H1000. R26 gives more velocity at the expense of more temperature sensitivity. Going through my notes, with the 208 ELDm, the bullet was at the lands with a 3.545" OAL. The chamber is PTG 300wm TacMatch and uses 0.097" leade. Pressure maxed out at 3050 fps with H1000 from a 30" barrel. I load to 8-10 firings pressure. I haven't tested the 225. Similar pressures give 2865 fps with the 230 Hybrid. The 230 Hybrid contacts the lands at 3.620" OAL in that chamber.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to criticize or undermine your 300wm choice. I was just admiring Laseredge's gun. I'm in the same boat, I have enough 300wm stuff stashed that it wouldn't be worth the cost of switching.

I suggest the pick one and run with it approach is the way to go. There won't be a noticeable difference in the hit percentage between those bullets.

I've had good luck with Norma brass, standard rather than magnum large rifle primers and H1000. R26 gives more velocity at the expense of more temperature sensitivity. Going through my notes, with the 208 ELDm, the bullet was at the lands with a 3.545" OAL. The chamber is PTG 300wm TacMatch and uses 0.097" leade. Pressure maxed out at 3050 fps with H1000 from a 30" barrel. I load to 8-10 firings pressure. I haven't tested the 225. Similar pressures give 2865 fps with the 230 Hybrid. The 230 Hybrid contacts the lands at 3.620" OAL in that chamber.

No worries, I didn't think you were criticizing me choosing a win mag. It's okay even if you were. I get enough of it from my short action buddies. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

I've ran almost everything in my last two 300wm barrels and most out past 2k as well including the 215s, 230s(both otm and hybrid), 208 eld-m's and 198 flatlines. Best results have been with the 215s followed closely by the 230s. Great results with H1000, Retumbo, RL26 and RL33.

I had good results with the 208s as well and the new 225s looks to be another great option. For the price and lot-lot consistency they are tough to beat, especially the fact that you don't need to tip them.

I had pretty good results with the 198 flatlines although they needed to be single fed due to loaded length and BC was lower for me both confirmed at 1000 and 2050. I have a 1:9 twist barrel and I believe in order to achieve their maximum potential they will need an even faster twist.

I've ran almost everything in my last two 300wm barrels and most out past 2k as well including the 215s, 230s(both otm and hybrid), 208 eld-m's and 198 flatlines. Best results have been with the 215s followed closely by the 230s. Great results with H1000, Retumbo, RL26 and RL33.

I had good results with the 208s as well and the new 225s looks to be another great option. For the price and lot-lot consistency they are tough to beat, especially the fact that you don't need to tip them.

I had pretty good results with the 198 flatlines although they needed to be single fed due to loaded length and BC was lower for me both confirmed at 1000 and 2050. I have a 1:9 twist barrel and I believe in order to achieve their maximum potential they will need an even faster twist.

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the 198's the other day and was intrigued. Have you tried Alco's?

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at the 198's the other day and was intrigued. Have you tried Alco's?

I have not tried the Alco's. It's definitely a good time to be in the Long Range and Extended Long Range game with so many options, improved designs and new concepts.