• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

heavy barrel .22lr?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I have been looking for a heavy barrel .22lr. I recently built a .308 but cant shoot it all the time. I posted about this before but now I am ready to buy the .22. I have looked at savage,CZ, Sako Quad(to damn expensive). I want a bolt action .22lr with a heavy barrel. What do you all have?? What do you all like or prefer?? I just want to practice shooting if it looks tactical thats great if not give me some ideas!!

Re: heavy barrel .22lr?

I have been very happy with my Savage rifles. MKII F, MKII FV, TRR & TRR 17HMR. The accu-triggers are pretty good, but I have changed the FV & .17 to the Rifle Basix trigger. I also replaced the FV stock with the Boyd's TRRith a RB trigger to be added in a few weeks. My son is using the F & somehow I have the feeling that it will live with him for awhile.

I have enjoyed my CZ 452 varmit. It's a really accurate rifle. That being said I went with a real heavy barreled .22 - a remington 40X with the 28" barrel, the damn thing weighs as much as my .308

I can't keep up with all the model numbers they make now but the Savage 22LR that comes in the larger black tactical style stock and threaded barrel looks like a good one. I think they come in around $475-$500.
The CZ452 is a great one. I have one in 17HMR and it is a tack driver!
Mine is a Remington 541T heavy barrel that will shoot tiny little groups with Lapua Midas.

There's a MUCH better deal than all the rifles mentioned so far.

The Marlin XT22VR, Marlins new heavy barrel bolt action with ProFire trigger, for only $225.

The ProFire is Marlins answer to the Savage Accutrigger, and Marlin has a history of high quality heavy barrel rifles, such as the 2000 (a biathlon rifle) and the 7000.

That, and the price point is HUNDREDS of dollars less than everyone else.

Oh, and just icing on the cake, MADE IN AMERICA.

http://www.gunknowledge.com/forum/index.php?topic=170.0

Yes, I'm buying one too.
laugh.gif

For the money, CZ-452's are really hard to beat. They are very accurate and well made. Another option would be the H&R M12's that were sold through the CMP a couple of years ago. They can be found on most of the gun auction sites and are usually priced very reasonably. Of course if you don't mind spending more money, there's the Winchester 52D's, Remington 40X's and Anshutz 54's to name a few. Those last 3 cost more but you can always get your money back out of them if you decide to sell later.
Another one I'll mention is the BRNO #1. Although it doesn't have a heavy barrel, they are made extremely well, very accurate and in my opinion are one of the best looking .22's ever made.

Savages are sort of agricultural, they have a reputation for good barrels. While the AccuTrigger will not mistaken by a smallbore competitor for a match trigger, for a $200-350 .22, they're pretty good.

CZs seem more like real firearms, and also have reputations for very good barrels.

Suhl match guns great value (I they find use in bench rest work).

Then the CMP Kimber Govt guns.

For the money the CZ varmint is probably your answer.You can get some spring kits or work on the trigger yourself and they are shooters.But nothing would be wrong with a Savage or a Marlin either.Or I have even had a few 10/22 that shot good but they are not as consistent as the bolt guns if you can find a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeepwilson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the money the CZ varmint is probably your answer.You can get some spring kits or work on the trigger yourself and they are shooters.But nothing would be wrong with a Savage or a Marlin either.Or I have even had a few 10/22 that shot good but they are not as consistent as the bolt guns if you can find a good one. </div></div>

+1, stick with a bolt gun, go with a CZ. I started out with a Savage and a CZ, and I still have the CZ. Just a better quality rifle overall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kejones1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the TR worth the xtra money or should i just go MKII with heavy barrel? </div></div>

It may be a toss up. While the FV is a good shooting rifle, adding the Boyd's stock made it more comfortable, which goes hand in hand with better accuracy. You will probably spend a little more buying the TR, & you will have a great shooter. Now that I've done it both ways I find that I like both rifles equally.
I'm a lot of help, huh?

if you have the $, 40x

some $, cz

something that wront break the bank and is good, savage.

from a prelimenary point of view, prices vs. options, that marlin xt looks to be a great value, but i have not seen or heard of any range reports yet to verify it's performace. if it shoots anything like the 925, plus with the accuraccy enhancements the heavy barrel gives, it may be the missing link between savage and cz.

If you want to build up a "mirror" of your .308 bolt action (and you have the budget), then the 40X is easily the best way to go.

Other than that, the CZ452/453 Varmint rifles are excellent and won't break the bank.

Anshutz 64 is not a bad buy.

While a heavy barrel.22lr will likely shoot a bit better, I don't think it's worth going out of the way to get one.

Unlike Centerfire chamberings, I think a properly floated sporter weight barrel will get more than enough of the potential accuracy out of the .22LR cartrdge.

I'd suggest you try one and see; then get a Savage MKIIF if that's to your liking.

Greg

get some pics of mine up in a few, a good alternative if i do say so myself

Mossberg M44 bought from the CMP for 145 bucks

M44.jpg

M44-2.jpg

may not be a Mini Clone to my LR gun but controls are the same and shoots better than any newer 22 I've shot, pretty good for a 70 year old gun