• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heavy buffer tearing up brass?

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
So I just finished my 260 rem build and put my first 40 rounds downrange. I used a *light* 40 gr RL-17 and 123 lapua scenar. The build uses Slashes 10oz heavy buffer.

The ejected brass had heavy ejection markings. I've heard 260 was tough on brass, but I put my heavy buffer into my friends 308 and he got the same markings. Here are some pics:

qehapema.jpg

eva4u2ez.jpg

My question: is this normal or am I doing it wrong? Do I really need the hbuf? I plan on eventually shoot suppressed. Will these marks effect the brass performance?

That a chunck of brass removed from the case is completely normal. Take a look at you brand new extracter. see how sharp the edges are and how strong the spring is? Not to mention the part is made of steel and steel wins over brass. This problem will get better as the extractor gets worn down a little by the cases.

Install a adjustable gas block. Most of AR's...large and small frame alike....are way overgassed.

I have one and the gas is turned way down. Those marks are formed when the bolt drops. If I eject an unfired round the marks are still present.