• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Heavy Caliber Hunting Optics

pcrage

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Guys...quick question

Purchased a .416rigby for a dangerous game hunt I am going on later this year in Africa. Want excellent and durable glass for short and mid range shots and easy target acquisition. (say 1-4 or 1.5-7).

Need a recommendation. Budget is open

thanks much!

PC

Re: Heavy Caliber Hunting Optics

Check out the S&B Short Dots which are 1.1-4x also the variables in 1.5-6 would work too. Excellent optics for your needs.

USO SN-4 1.5-6 with JNGMOA or C2(mil-based) reticle.
Order it with the lowest profile knobs(zeroing) and just hold over if need be.

I have no experience with this type of shooting, but it would seem to meet your needs.

My thoughts:

Big Reticle - German Post & Croshairs
Long Eye Relief - 4"+ @ lowest power
Generous Eye Box - 1.5" minimum
SFP

A Leupold 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated with German #4, is about right. Many of those have gone to Africa, as well as the smaller non-illuminated version. That is one scope that Leupold has done right for years....

A 416 Rigby can eat scopes, like a dog eats chop meat. In fact, if your taking two rifles, consider taking 3 scopes. One for each rifle, and one that can go on either as a backup. It does not need rings, or be sighted in. Plenty of time and places in Africa to do that. And you can leave your backup scope as a tip for your PH when you leave. Hard for them to buy good glass.

The Leupolds 1.5x5's are cheap enough to do just that.

Bob

Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 EE (extended eye relief) with the CDI reticle.

CD_I%5B190%5D.png

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-Z6-Illuminated-Riflescopes-C193.aspx

What kind of dangerous game? Buffalo/Elephant or cats?

Will you be using this same rifle for any non dangerous game? If so the 1.7-10x42 Z6i CDI would be better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....
Long Eye Relief - 4"+ @ lowest power
Generous Eye Box - 1.5" minimum

A Leupold 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated with German #4, is about right..... That is one scope that Leupold has done right for years.......Bob </div></div>

agree, and i'd take another identical spare pre-zeroed, also zero your iron sights, and once both regulated for your loads, get off the bench and shoot from field positions and from sticks, also practice reloading while on the move. ps: and reticles for dangerious game scopes? i still like the old classic heavy post.

Excellent advice on the Swarovski ( from SWFA ) - I have the 1.7 to 10x with the CDI and love it. My buddy has the same and doesn't care for for it so much. We shot them together one afternoon, and lo and behold, his was SFP and mine FFP. Just for grins though, I ran the dope on my 375 out to 300, and the hold at the edge of the ring was perfect at 300. The value of being able to shoot out to 300 with a quick holdover, AND KNOWING EXACTING POI, is priceless on an African hunt. I am sure a 416 Rigby will likely be different, shorter range, but running the different mils/MOA on your reticle/gun combo is very helpful.

The illuminated feature is a handy thing too, especially in thick cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the S&B Short Dots which are 1.1-4x also the variables in 1.5-6 would work too. Excellent optics for your needs.
</div></div>

+1....

Check out the Vortex Vipers or maybe one of the PST's coming out before too long!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the S&B Short Dots which are 1.1-4x also the variables in 1.5-6 would work too. Excellent optics for your needs.
</div></div>
Rob where did the NF emblem go and what is all this talk about S&B?

Just speaking my mind
wink.gif
Nothing wrong with NF at all. A 1-4 with FC 2 would work very well also. It's designed as their dangerous game scope and will easily take the recoil of the big rifles but if the budget is open then why not.

+1 for the Leupold 1.5x5 VX3 with the 30 mm tube and German #4 illuminated reticle. I'm putting one on a stopping rifle and for the money it is the glass to have.

I'm no expert obviously, but I am in the middle of negotiating a hunt for 2011 in Africa (either Nambia or Tanzania).

I have spoken with 4 outfits and 2 of them suggested iron sights only for dangerous game. They said things can happen too fast and too close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm no expert obviously, but I am in the middle of negotiating a hunt for 2011 in Africa (either Nambia or Tanzania).

I have spoken with 4 outfits and 2 of them suggested iron sights only for dangerous game. They said things can happen too fast and too close. </div></div>

Most Outfitters Like for you to have Iron sites. Most hunters in Africa have quick realse mounts so you can take your scope off and hunt with iron sites.

I used a Swarovski Z-6 in Africa and works really well. I would go with Swarovski.

A friend of mine had a Short Dot on his 416 Rigby for a couple years and made a few trips to Africa with it and had no problems at all. The only problem he ever encounterd with the rifle or the scope was the little splash that it created as it fell off the side of the boat when they were crossing the river to retrieve his wifes crocodile.

I would imagine a custom Krieghoff has a pretty unique sound as it hits the water.

I have the S&B 1.25-4, but would buy the Swarovski 1-6 if I did it again. Both great scopes BTW. Measure the distance between the outside of the rings if you consider a scope with an objective bell, I almost bought an S&B 1.5-6x42 then measured and found that it would not fit on my rifle with Talleys (wasn't open to using a mounting system that hung over the loading port). Also measure eye relief, the Swarovski is available in two different eye reliefs, other scopes have both both longer and shorter eye relief and have a variety of occular bell lengths as well, all of which adds up when fitting one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine had a Short Dot on his 416 Rigby for a couple years and made a few trips to Africa with it and had no problems at all. The only problem he ever encounterd with the rifle or the scope was the little splash that it created as it fell off the side of the canoe when they were crossing the river to retrieve his wifes crocodile.

I would imagine a custom Krieghoff has a pretty unique sound as it hits the water.

</div></div>

He dropped a $10,000 gun in a river? damn that sucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: homegown308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He dropped a $10,000 gun in a river? damn that sucks </div></div>

It was knocked off the boat by accident by one of the trackers.

A customs official asked him why he didn't go in the river and try to recover it. He didn't like the idea of him coming back without it but not half as much as Bobby didn't like coming home without it.

<span style="font-style: italic">To stay on the topic</span>, the Short Dot would be a very good option to consider and have no fear of it withstanding the punishment of a large caliber rifle.

On that note;
I am looking at a Meopta Meostar R-1 3-12X56 to put on a .338X8mm Remington Magnum wildcat made by my stepmom's father some 27 years ago(Beautiful gun!-think recoil just above .340 Weatherby Magnum, with my 225 grain handloads...).
Does this scope & line have a durability reputation to handle my beast? How about optical Quality?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Vortex Vipers or maybe one of the PST's coming out before too long! </div></div>

The lowest magnification in the Viper series is a 2-7x32. For sure need to be in the 1's for the low end mag.

I'm sure the PST's are going to be nice but they are no where near a practical choice for a dangerous game setup.

As much as you like Vortex they are just not the choice this time.

Thanks for the good information. I appreciate all the comments.

Based on this I think I will consider the swaro 1.7-10 Z6i with quick release rings. This will probably give me the most flexibility in using on close in (ie elephant) and mid distance game. And then swap out the glass onto my .375 for a brown hunt when my wife lets me buy it and book it.

Semper Fi.

PC

I have a Meopta scope. The clarity and quality are unbelievable. I think the glass rivals any of the top end manufacturers. I have my 4x16 on my Barrett M82 and it has held up fine.

The Leupold Mk 4 1.5-5x with illum SPR reticle and a custom shop elevation turret would be a very durable and versatile setup. May as well have all the benefits you can get. If you're shooting a classic .416 Rigby and factory ammunition, probably not a longrange proposition. Still, having an elevation dial that tracked your chosen load could enable options you wouldn't have otherwise. The SPR reticle is very fast reaction and with illum could be left "on" to use as Bindon Aiming Concept at close range. Reticle is very visible even in daylight with a BC Flip-Up covering the objective. Take extra batteries. Warne Maxima QD rings...

I can not believe it ROB1, you suggested a scope other than Nightforce!!!!! LOL...LOL....LOL...