• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heavy metals detox? Bullshit or is this a thing?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    No, I don't mean Slayer.

Was listening to a podcast while working out. Was some Teams guys talking and one had brought up how he had a detox for heavy metals at one point and how he initially thought it was bullshit, but then had quite a few long-term health issues almost instantly disappear as well as just noticeably feeling better.

I was waiting for them to mention a product to buy or a commercial to pop up selling you some sort of detox, but when it didn't, I started to give the idea a bit of consideration. Now there's no way for me to know if/how much heavy metal I have hanging around in me, but if it indeed is a thing, I am figuring that from everything I've been in contact with, there's definitely some there. Health problems from it? No idea/don't think so, but now its at least on the radar.

So I googled a bit and really only came across a few 'natural healing' sites mentioning it. This again made me think its BS. Then I came across a legit medical journal report on 'chellation' therapy to remove heavy metals from the body; so ok, its apparently a thing.

I went further into this and all I could find other than the medical therapy for it was a bunch of creams and 'detox shakes' which again, points to this being total bullshit.

Now I'm just curious if this is real and if there is an actual detox for it, or if this is just some dumb shit like essential oils fixing your ailments.

A buddy of mine was telling me he knows a guy who was shooting a brick of .22lr every day. He started getting sick. They found he was getting lead poisoning. I guess this is a guy with plenty of money and time who just shoots all day everyday. The Dr. told him to quit shooting for a year. I guess in time your system will flush it out.. If I ever retire that will be my goal.

Popped "a little high" recently. Started taking chelated calcium so we'll see next blood draw. I've read Bentonite Clay supposedly works.

I think it is bs. Was just watching a Doc on the Franklin expedition and they thought Lead poisoning was part of the reason for the failure.

But had doc saying no… and that most lead sequesters in bones. Which is why they found it in the frozen corpses of exhumed sailors. He gave a good explanation. Basically most flushes out. Some sequesters in bone. And that sailors of that era would have had high levels. Not necessarily from solder on canned food, but from cheap pewter and “lead” plates/ utensils.

Nothing sold by bead-wearing organic hippies will “flush you.”

And I am all for homeopathy. Just not snake oil and quackery.

Sirhr

My wife's sister tried this - and ended up in the emergency ward.
    I worked with molten lead for many years (lapping barrels) and had slightly elevated blood lead concentration- no issues.
    "There's one born every minute"

not sure sucking on bars of lead is going to detox anyone let alone end out well .unless your trying for that 4 teeth 3 stands of hair look send pics if you decide to try it , after listening to my neighbors cry for 10 min I could use a laugh .

My neighbors tried a liver cleanse maybe 10 years ago and both became horribly ill and couldn't finish the program. Their short term 'solution' to eating like shit, no exercise and abusing their bodies daily for decades. In the end voila.....they started pushing back from the table, eating a sensible diet and exercising. The Mrs got so sick during the liver cleanse she ended up in the ER one night and one of the docs gave them a dose of reality and that was worked in the end.....scared the crap out them and they are looking better now than they did 20 years ago.

Reactions: lash and oneshot86
    EDTA helps your body complex and excrete metals
    • EDTA chelation therapy. Health care providers treat adults with lead levels greater than 45 mcg/dL of blood and children who can't tolerate the drug used in conventional chelation therapy most commonly with a chemical called calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA). EDTA is given by injection.

This is a treatment for lead POISONING. > 45mcg/dL????
    (The HIGHEST reading I had with years of having three molten lead pots going all day in a confined space was 7 mcg/dL!)
    Chelating agents like EDTA are NOT for "cleansing".
    EDTA is a non-specific chelating agent and will complex essential elements as well as lead.

I'm done here - do what you will.

Excercise, good diet and using good practices around dangerous shit.

Speed up your metabolism and keep that cell regeneration, shedding and replacement process healthy and active.

Be glad you don’t work in chem labs with really scary shit.

Read something about a scientist that she came into contact with a millionth of a millionth of some type of super cyanide and it got through a glove or there was some sort of bad handling practice. Slow kill over weeks as it collected in her system and killed her.

Lead be like a child’s toy (especially ones made in China) compared to some shit that is out there.

And carbon dioxide up your ass.

The human body is an amazing "filter".
    However, it can not filter out constant exposure.
    Eliminating the exposure to heavy metals or other toxic chemicals is the best approach.
    Humans are impatient and desire an instant cure for what ever ails them. There is no magic bullet.
    The "Cancer Corridor" between New Orleans and Baton Rouge is one of the most polluted areas in the world.
    It also provides good paying jobs with benefits.
    Home to many of the "Cancer Institutes" that study cancer in the people that have lived there for generations.
    And, typical, a lot of Federal money is spent "studying".

One of the "Law's of Nature"... Don't eat where you shit.

I don't think lead will ever leave your system. This is why it is going away from everything, gas, paint, pipes, toys....even ammo starting with wetland game. As I understood lead is like herpes you always have it. Time away will reduce your exposure and in time your body will try to "deal" with it, but it will never go away.

I read about the Franklin deal, it was thought the canned food was the issue. They used lead to seal the cans back then.

And to put on the tin foil hat for a sec....

"They" have always known it is bad, there was just profit and ease in it so they used it. I see it just like the Radium Girls. They knew, they just chose not to tell the rest of us.

Its real, just overblown at times. If youre my age your mouth is likely full of mercury. A few years back there was a big push to remove all those. Sounded like a scam by the dentists to me, but there is a lot of nasty shit floating around that is not good fo you. As mentioned above, use common sense.

I would say, proceed with caution.

One of my sisters is into holistic medicine. She got my mom to do some kind of mango cleanse. I'm not sure what all is involved but when my mom finished it, the only thing that came from it is that she became allergic to mangos after that. True story.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and Maggot
    Popped "a little high" recently. Started taking chelated calcium so we'll see next blood draw. I've read Bentonite Clay supposedly works.

I would trust the bentonite clay over the calcium. Calcium wihtout K2 can end up as plaque inside your blood vessels.

I have heard stuff about mercury poisoning from dental fillings, aluminum from pans and deoderants. There may also a fair amount of lead in cosmetics, including lipstick, nanoparticle titanium (sunscreen, titanium) may not be as safe as we once thought. Who knows. I think there as a neurosurgeon - Blalock (he also was big into the vaccine/autism link) made a little enterprise around the heavy metal thing too.

Have you consulted the profits South Park

A lot of shooting which I assume you doing is going to expose you to a lot of burned powder and lead. As far as any magical system flush... mmm I don't know. IMO the best you could do is mitigate your exposure.

Just as an example when working on cars I always wear 6-9 mil nitrile gloves to keep oil and gas off my hands so it doesn't absorb into my skin. When removing brakes would cover my air holes to keep the fibers out of my lungs. Some of the older guys I was around would call my a pussy and what not, like it wasn't manly... One of those guy who I have know for years is constantly in and out of the hospital with liver, kidney and stomach issue and can't seem to figure out why... He's going to be a real bad ass when he's dead at 55 and end up like Ricky who passed away about 6 years ago of cancer before he was 60.

While I am not a doc, I'd be weary of any detoxic crap and would suggest the best de-toxic would to be mitgaetate exposure.

I will say bentonite clay has worked well for me. I had a bad rash in my armpits that would not go away. Put bentonite clay on it and within 3 days rash was gone and hasn't been back since. Haven't tried it on anything else yet.

Reactions: Average guy
    I have heard about chelation therapy for reducing the levels of heavy metals in the body. Reportedly, another benefit was that the chelation chemical also binds to plaque in your blood vessels and helps get that out of your body as well.

I have heard of instances where some folks avoided heart bypass surgery by going out of the US for IV chelation to open their restricted blood vessels back up. Slow process for sure, but a hell of a lot cheaper than cracking your rib cage open.

Cilantro is supposed to act as a natural chelation agent as well.

I will say bentonite clay has worked well for me. I had a bad rash in my armpits that would not go away. Put bentonite clay on it and within 3 days rash was gone and hasn't been back since. Haven't tried it on anything else yet.
    I’d check what type of bentonite clay. There are calcium and sodium bentonites. With a little research, you will see there’s bentonite in some foods, chocolates come to mind. It’s definitely used in many personal care products. I worked in the industry for a time

Have you consulted the profits South Park

A lot of shooting which I assume you doing is going to expose you to a lot of burned powder and lead. As far as any magical system flush... mmm I don't know. IMO the best you could do is mitigate your exposure.

Just as an example when working on cars I always wear 6-9 mil nitrile gloves to keep oil and gas off my hands so it doesn't absorb into my skin. When removing brakes would cover my air holes to keep the fibers out of my lungs. Some of the older guys I was around would call my a pussy and what not, like it wasn't manly... One of those guy who I have know for years is constantly in and out of the hospital with liver, kidney and stomach issue and can't seem to figure out why... He's going to be a real bad ass when he's dead at 55 and end up like Ricky who passed away about 6 years ago of cancer before he was 60.

While I am not a doc, I'd be weary of any detoxic crap and would suggest the best de-toxic would to be mitgaetate exposure.

It could be related to his exposure, and it might not.....likely never know. The father in law, a grease monkey and butcher was around all that "car" stuff going back to the 1950's. Washed parts in gasoline, leaded gas, with nothing on his hands. Brakes, clutches, all that. 78 and fine, would be more fine if not for the mother in law that is always on him as being too old. He wants to she will not let him.

I am redoing my shop, he is all over questions about it and you can tell he wants to help. I really did not need it but kept trying to get him out there, he would be on for a day, then the next he would cancel. Tried for the electricity, hay putting in new breakers and running all new power here there, do you think my air compressor should be on its own circuit......that kind of thing. Always by friday he would back out. I know the mother in law was on him harping and harping till he caved. She is good at that.

I know the mother in law was on him harping and harping till he caved. She is good at that.
    Hate to hear that and understand that Delima. Last Thanksgiving I was showing my 8 year old nice how the bolt on an AR functions as there was a show on about the history of it, and she asked how does it spit the brass out. I went and grabbed a spare bolt I happened to have in my range bag I brought with me when visiting them. My paps who is pro 2a, changed the channel and motioned me to stop... Because my mother in law was getting pissed I was teaching my niece, who's not even in my step mothers blood line, how a bolt functions. She will make his life hell. Same issue. Thats his choice, I am in his home and as much as I disagree, that's not a hill I am going to die on.

I have been around enough people who bath in that stuff mineral spirits, acetone, oil, gas and grease, etc and I my self have done the same, take a more precautionary position on my exposure. Its my personal choice, I don't force it on others, you do you.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    The only way to 'Detox' is to limit exposure. There is no magic pill, sauce, or saave to remove heavy metals.

'Chemistry hat on'

Heavy metals vary widely in their chemistry. Things like Gold or Platinum are mostly harmless. Lead or Uranium, little more problematic. But regardless they all interact differently, so there is no cure-all. Even very similar heavy metals like the rare earth's all have different chemistry.

Give blood. If heavy metals are in your blood, offloading some once in a while will get rid of it since your body can't. An old pharmacist told me that. Not sure if its true but makes sense.

Pro Tip:
    If you can't give blood because of HIV. Get some fucking leeches.

Short answer is no. As mentioned with iron poisoning there is specific therapy. In the case of mercury toxicity, BAL is actually detrimental increasing mobilization to the brain and DMSA won’t reverse neurological damage anyway.

I eat a lot of spinach, both raw and cooked. Supposed leafy greens flush your system. It certainly feels like it does me good.

I work in the health care field, and there is such as thing as heavy metal detox. Not sure if lead is a big part of it or not. I treated two patients who had problems. One grew up in a town in Russia that had three steel mills. She is a M.D., and she was 100% sure the had toxicity. The other person grew up in Bulgaria, and he also knew he had heavy metal toxicity.

I only treated them once, with a large cold laser (low level light therapy). Usually with this laser you can treat such toxicity fairly quickly, say 5 minutes or so, and they will improve. Both of the individuals above I ended up using this large laser on them for 25 minutes, which is shockingly long. The woman and the man both mentioned that after about 10 minutes they had a very strong metallic taste in their mouth, and the taste continued even after the laser was turned off.

Also I was speaking to an individual a few years later, who had been having memory issues. He had his blood tested, and the mercury level was at the high end of the high scale. He had been eating large amounts of high quality and expensive fish, as a method of trying to stay healthy. Fresh swordfish, tunas, etc. Those fish high up in the food chain accumulate mercury in the fat.

He then went on a no fish diet for three months, and retested. Mercury level was back to normal. IMO, the body removes mercury on it's own, probably putting it into the lymph system. Using the high powered cold laser probably greatly accelerated what the body was trying to do, and that is why the woman and man from Eurasia both had a very strong metallic taste in their mouths.

My Dad did the chelation treatment, at the time a doctor in omaha was doing this for people that had lead poisoning, and from that doctor said, mercury issues as well. Worked for my dad. It was using EDTA administered once a week through an IV.

Locally here one guy that worked in an indoor pistol range came down with lead poisoning. He didn't mention doing chelation, but he did mention taking the bentonite clay and activated charcoal as part of his treatment. He did his treatments for 2 years to get his levels down.

So, Heavy metal detox is legit, but who are you going to trust to do it for you? The doctor my dad went to was considered old school and would use what worked. He has since passed away. Not sure that any of the youngest doctors would even know how to start such a treatment protocol.

I eat a lot of spinach, both raw and cooked. Supposed leafy greens flush your system. It certainly feels like it does me good.
    I work in the health care field, and there is such as thing as heavy metal detox. Not sure if lead is a big part of it or not. I treated two patients who had problems. One grew up in a town in Russia that had three steel mills. She is a M.D., and she was 100% sure the had toxicity. The other person grew up in Bulgaria, and he also knew he had heavy metal toxicity.

I only treated them once, with a large cold laser (low level light therapy). Usually with this laser you can treat such toxicity fairly quickly, say 5 minutes or so, and they will improve. Both of the individuals above I ended up using this large laser on them for 25 minutes, which is shockingly long. The woman and the man both mentioned that after about 10 minutes they had a very strong metallic taste in their mouth, and the taste continued even after the laser was turned off.

Also I was speaking to an individual a few years later, who had been having memory issues. He had his blood tested, and the mercury level was at the high end of the high scale. He had been eating large amounts of high quality and expensive fish, as a method of trying to stay healthy. Fresh swordfish, tunas, etc. Those fish high up in the food chain accumulate mercury in the fat.

He then went on a no fish diet for three months, and retested. Mercury level was back to normal. IMO, the body removes mercury on it's own, probably putting it into the lymph system. Using the high powered cold laser probably greatly accelerated what the body was trying to do, and that is why the woman and man from Eurasia both had a very strong metallic taste in their mouths.
    Green leafy, broccoli, and those are good, organic is best. Fresh (not canned or frozen) fruit and vegetable juices are good flush agents. Just plain spring water fasting is good. Start with a day and work up. Reminds me, its time. Fasting allows the body to rest.

My Dad did the chelation treatment, at the time a doctor in omaha was doing this for people that had lead poisoning, and from that doctor said, mercury issues as well. Worked for my dad. It was using EDTA administered once a week through an IV.

Locally here one guy that worked in an indoor pistol range came down with lead poisoning. He didn't mention doing chelation, but he did mention taking the bentonite clay and activated charcoal as part of his treatment. He did his treatments for 2 years to get his levels down.

So, Heavy metal detox is legit, but who are you going to trust to do it for you? The doctor my dad went to was considered old school and would use what worked. He has since passed away. Not sure that any of the youngest doctors would even know how to start such a treatment protocol.
    Please note that these are for a single heavy metal (Pb). There is no universal Heavy Metals (plural) treatment. Mercury, Cadmium, require DIFFERENT treatments.

Wear one of these…..

457253D1-3084-478C-8039-2D67CB19859B.jpeg

It will stop the problems in the first place.

It’s a miracle item.

It’s also your civic duty.

If you don’t have carbon dioxide try acetylene, hydrogen or helium and let Geyneth Paltrow know how it works for you.

• Haha
    Reactions: Pbgt
    It could be related to his exposure, and it might not.....likely never know. The father in law, a grease monkey and butcher was around all that "car" stuff going back to the 1950's. Washed parts in gasoline, leaded gas, with nothing on his hands. Brakes, clutches, all that. 78 and fine, would be more fine if not for the mother in law that is always on him as being too old. He wants to she will not let him.

I am redoing my shop, he is all over questions about it and you can tell he wants to help. I really did not need it but kept trying to get him out there, he would be on for a day, then the next he would cancel. Tried for the electricity, hay putting in new breakers and running all new power here there, do you think my air compressor should be on its own circuit......that kind of thing. Always by friday he would back out. I know the mother in law was on him harping and harping till he caved. She is good at that.
    Tetraethyllead was bad bad stuff. We get it in the shop in old engines… in the sludge in sumps and filters.

It poisoned a lot of people!!!!

Sirhr

I don't think lead will ever leave your system. This is why it is going away from everything, gas, paint, pipes, toys....even ammo starting with wetland game. As I understood lead is like herpes you always have it. Time away will reduce your exposure and in time your body will try to "deal" with it, but it will never go away.

I read about the Franklin deal, it was thought the canned food was the issue. They used lead to seal the cans back then.

And to put on the tin foil hat for a sec....

"They" have always known it is bad, there was just profit and ease in it so they used it. I see it just like the Radium Girls. They knew, they just chose not to tell the rest of us.
    Your body will flush lead out of it, but you have to remove yourself from the exposure. Also, depends on the length of exposure if your body holds onto it forever or not. After a few weeks if it is still in your system it will go to you bones and teeth. Most people who work with lead get tested frequently, so they are able to remove the exposure of lead and let their system remove it. It would be people who are not tested that more than likely would store it in their bones.

I am sure the older folks around here on the Hide still have lead in their bones from this:

i have had v.high mercury levels in the past. reg docs know nothing about it and don't want to test it for that reason. all i have seen re treatment for mercury is silenium and increased vit c. have read MAYBE NAC is helpful. not sure on any of that. i got it from eating a lot of salt water deep water fish over many years. will insist on testing with my next reg labs. chelation is a grey area with it's own risks. not sure i would go there unless i was symptomatic.

A buddy of mine was telling me he knows a guy who was shooting a brick of .22lr every day. He started getting sick. They found he was getting lead poisoning. I guess this is a guy with plenty of money and time who just shoots all day everyday. The Dr. told him to quit shooting for a year. I guess in time your system will flush it out.. If I ever retire that will be my goal.

Nope.
    No way.
    Bullshit.
    Thats in the "dumbest shit I ever heard at an LGS" thread.

9a2c0d41273187fb15c42980a551a800.jpg

Wear one of these…..

View attachment 8103528

It will stop the problems in the first place.

It’s a miracle item.

It’s also your civic duty.

Ironically, it does help with dust inhilation. (primary means of metal entering the body). But then 99.99% of us aren't in a metal bearing dust environment so...

Also don't eat fish. Eat Steak.

Ironically, it does help with dust inhilation. (primary means of metal entering the body). But then 99.99% of us aren't in a metal bearing dust environment so...

I de-leaded for a summer job in college.

We wore tyvek suits and fit rubber respirators with screw on filters.

As I’ll fitting as the Covid masks are they do little.

Reactions: supercorndogs
    I de-leaded for a summer job in college.

We wore tyvek suits and fit rubber respirators with screw on filters.

As I’ll fitting as the Covid masks are they do little.
    Proper PPE? Surely you jest!

Help != best or proper.

I mean we wear em in wafer fabs because we were the primary pollutant (dust/skin). Same with surgeons.

Viruses? ehhh not so much.

Myself--I've been exposed to so much shit like radiation and chemicals, I'm suprised I don't already glow in the dark. (That is not a euphemism for an alphabeti)

Tetraethyllead was bad bad stuff. We get it in the shop in old engines… in the sludge in sumps and filters.

It poisoned a lot of people!!!!

Sirhr

I do not disagree, and they knew it from the get go.

There are some things "we" learn as we go, like adding a bad smell to natural gas, turns out that can be handy. The lead was introduced to solve a problem as inexpensive as possible. They knew of its dangers long before going back to Victorian times.

What I am saying is, just where is that line. Lead is not like some things we "currently" latch onto as needing to eliminate, CO2 and Chlorine come to mind. Lead is an issue, having babies with lead painted cribs was an issue. Indoor paint was an issue goes to reason. But outdoor house paint? Lead does fantastic things to paint, and even all these years later lead based paint still does a better job in SOME applications. And producing it can be made safe for those that make it.

Where I have an issue is when these different views come into conflict. Like a few years ago when we had to remove all lights and replace them with compact fluorescents and enjoy the love of "quick silver" mercury. It was explained away as oh well those old time thermostats had so much more mercury in them. Yea, and how often does your thermostat get broken? And when did they get replaced. Fuck I remember mercury light switches, silent switches, we pull those because of mercury but push CFL's on everyone by the billions.

Fuck that hypocrisy.

Your body will flush lead out of it, but you have to remove yourself from the exposure. Also, depends on the length of exposure if your body holds onto it forever or not. After a few weeks if it is still in your system it will go to you bones and teeth. Most people who work with lead get tested frequently, so they are able to remove the exposure of lead and let their system remove it. It would be people who are not tested that more than likely would store it in their bones.

I am sure the older folks around here on the Hide still have lead in their bones from this:

Thanks for the video, I knew some of that but not all.

I did not know lead would ever leave.

When I was looking to buy a new mask for my shop I hung out on the wood working forums. I wanted something better then that, but not as big and bulky as what I have already that I did not wear....this:

1679655681554.png

Those things do work, but they are hot heavy and bulky. You can get replacement cartridges so the thing will last a VERY long time, and you can choose your cartridges based on what you are doing, very different cartridges between sanding and painting to vapor.

In my hunt for a mask one thing came up over and over again was that mask the one pictured as well as MOST of these are called nuisance masks for a reason, they don't do much. There are all kinds of different ratings besides the N95 that our media did such a good job at driving into the public. Without exception the wood workers found masks like they pushed on all of us to be totally worthless at best, and generally worse then using no mask, there are just too many gaps around the mask that can trap wood dust in the mask so you will breathe it in.
    It was suggested over there that a good mask for what you are doing, and an exhaust valve is very important.

I ended up with this one, small enough to not bang on stuff, and comfortable enough to wear. So far it is doing pretty well.

In building my shop I burned some pretty wet wood while cutting it, needed a different blade, and when I took the mask off I could really smell the burning wood from the saw, with it on I never smelled it.

This is what I went with.

1679656211272.png

The wood workers totally panned the idea of the below style of mask saying they do nothing at all.

1679656281761.png

Reactions: lash
    If you need chelation therapy for heavy metal contamination, you will know it.

I had a co-worker that was dating a server at a sushi restaurant. He would eat there several times per week. Eventually, his hair started coming out in clumps. Mercury poisoning. Doc's, prescription? Lay off the sushi entirely for a while.

Your body has an amazing capacity to self-detoxify. Your liver and kidneys- and your lungs to an extent- do all of the de-toxification that your body needs. Pretty much every health remedy purporting to "cleanse" or "Detoxify" is a scam or BS. And, some can be harmful. "Juice cleanses" contain so much sugar (naturally occurring sugar, but sugar none the less) that they can can negatively and permanently "rewire" your metabolism. Hydration. Moderation. Balanced diet. Exercise. How can something so easy be so hard?

I have a disease called hemachromotosis.
    Basically iron overload disease.
    My body does not excrete the excess iron due to missing a certain chromosome.
    Anyways, theres 2 options for therapy. Blood chelating pills. Which is a very in depth and your blood needs to monitored very frequently due t the meds blocking out most of your nutritional intake. And the 2nd easiest option is regular phlebotomies. Which is drawing blood..
    Since your iron levels are most likely normal.
    I'd suggest you go donate blood as often as you can.
    It's basically a free oil change for your body anyways.